Will you still be eligible for bidding after downgrading?

Sea2011

We are booked on an Ocean View stateroom and considering downgrading to Obstructed Ocean View.  At the same time, we have received invitation to bid.  So question is if we downgraded (saving $400), are we still eligible to bid for a balcony?  And does it make a difference bidding from an OV or Obstructed OV or an inside (in terms of chances to succeed or do they just look at the amount you bid?). Appreciate any advice or sharing of experience.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Sea2011 said:

Oh I wasn't aware that downgrading has a penalty.  We are not into final payment yet - so wouldn't I be able to cancel and rebook without penalty?

They don't send usually send out invitations to bid until after final payment so I assumed you were past final payment. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sea2011 said:

We are booked on an Ocean View stateroom and considering downgrading to Obstructed Ocean View.  At the same time, we have received invitation to bid.  So question is if we downgraded (saving $400), are we still eligible to bid for a balcony?  And does it make a difference bidding from an OV or Obstructed OV or an inside (in terms of chances to succeed or do they just look at the amount you bid?). Appreciate any advice or sharing of experience.  Thanks!

Yes. You can still bid up to two cabin classes above your booked room (in your case a club balcony). 

Ocean to balcony is a pretty easy to get if the ship is not full. We recently won an upgrade from an OA to Balcony for a near minimum bid,,,, but that is an example, and you can’t expect that. 

12 hours ago, Sea2011 said:

Oh I wasn't aware that downgrading has a penalty.  We are not into final payment yet - so wouldn't I be able to cancel and rebook without penalty?

Since you are not within final payment you can cancel and rebook without penalty.