Romantic Danube-Viking excursions suggestions

joy1rn

You'll probably be moored by the Chain Bridge.

Have you looked at Google Maps? Those baths are so near the river, about 2.5 miles you could walk it and a taxi will only take minutes (depending on traffic 🙂)

The tours I've done and can recommend are the Hungarian Horsemen at Lázár Equestrian Park, and (fin Vienna - the Mozart Strauss concert.

As you might guess, this question has been asked before so for a fuller answer see my post at

Read my view - and see my  photo - about the Horsemen here 

Edited by pontac
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 2:17 PM, joy1rn said:

What thermal baths do they go to with ship excursion? It seems pricey at $89. Can we take a taxi from ship to Szechenyi baths? Any info on other excursions on this trip appreciated!

This is a great question.  I would like to try and do this on my own as well.  Glad you posted it.

On 12/7/2022 at 1:47 PM, pontac said:

You'll probably be moored by the Chain Bridge.

On the Danube cruise right now.  Docked today at the Liberty Bridge (green) near the Central Market and Gellért Baths

Thanks for that, @Mitina.

For @joy1rn it's just a bit further from  Szechenyi Baths at 3 miles. 

The captain of the boat has to moor where the authorities tell him. In the 3 times I have been there with Viking its been moored close by the Chain Bridge - one time partly under - but with the huge increase in cruise companies stopping in Budapest I suppose it's a matter of where a space can be found.

Fear not though, @joy1rn you'll still be only a short taxi ride away.

Enjoy your cruise, @Mitina and thanks for taking the trouble.

Edited by pontac

I am going on Danube Waltz, and I am still debating the baths tour.  I did read somewhere that if you go on the Viking tour a guide accompanies you, and takes care of everything at check-in and explains the process--a bit like hand-holding.  I think they also give you the slippers and towels (required), or the baths will make you buy them if you do not bring if on an independent trip.

I have seen some reviews that they felt the water was a bit dirty, so that is more of a concern for me.

We just came back from Iceland and we enjoyed our Blue Lagoon baths experience, so I am leaning towards trying this in Budapest.

Regarding Vienna Mozart concert, still debating--I do not know if I want to do three excursions in one day or not (city tour & palace first) .