Pride of America, first time!

marnie2005

Looking for feedback on “ first timers “ to Hawaii! getting overwhelmed with all the tours offered on NCL’s website. We like to wing it when we arrive at a port of call , is this even a option on this cruise? Thank you🥴

If you look around the board, there are dozens of discussions on what to do. Yes, it is frequently discussed oh how to "wing it" and about renting cars, or people taking public transit or taxis or Uber. 

With a little thought and planning, you can do just about anything you want on your own in Hawaii.

9 hours ago, marnie2005 said:

Looking for feedback on “ first timers “ to Hawaii! getting overwhelmed with all the tours offered on NCL’s website. We like to wing it when we arrive at a port of call , is this even a option on this cruise? Thank you🥴

"Winging it" is a very bad idea on Kauai, on Maui and in Hilo.

You can wing it on Oahu and in Kona.

We booked 90% of our tours outside of the cruise lines. I found the prices to be way better. With 2 days in Maui we rented a car and did our own thing. We also did a luau and booked that ourselves. They picked us up and dropped us off. 

Kona we just went and walked around the port area and relaxed. 

Hilo we booked a tour with an outside company and he was amazing.

The only time we booked through the ship was for a movie tour. It was our last day and a shortened one at that so we went with the ship tour. 

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 6:47 AM, marnie2005 said:

we did a Turo car. he met us at the airport.   We drove to our accomodations.   We did the Hawaii Volcanoes Nationsl Park on our own.   Drove 1/2 way to Hana on our own.   we DiD do the Tour of Kauia and Luau which was 11 hours.  we were exhausted.   to do it over?  we would have dont the drive to Waimea canyon ourselves.  that's a long long time on a bus.    The Kalamaku Luau was good.  free Mai ti's 🙂     we also did Pearl Harbor on our own...drove Turo the whole trip other than the 2 excursions.  we got the Passport and it was worth it!   The Missouri is included as is a couple of museums.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 4:19 PM, scottca075 said:

"Winging it" is a very bad idea on Kauai, on Maui and in Hilo.

You can wing it on Oahu and in Kona.

disagree.  we winged it in Maui with a Turo car.   did 1/2 way to Hana ourselves.  also went to the Maui Gold Plantation tour. the next day  

Edited by Traveller20074
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 6:47 AM, marnie2005 said:

also, if you do wing any of this....the GyPSy app  is indispensible!!!

Edited by Traveller20074

Thanks everyone! By “ winging it” I was referring to not pre booking a excursion and possibly picking up a excursion once we are off the ship. Private tour operators are readily available in lots of ports we’ve been to and we have had very positive experiences for the most part! Anyone else??

12 minutes ago, marnie2005 said:

Thanks everyone! By “ winging it” I was referring to not pre booking a excursion and possibly picking up a excursion once we are off the ship. Private tour operators are readily available in lots of ports we’ve been to and we have had very positive experiences for the most part! Anyone else??

There will probably (but not guaranteeing it) be a couple local vendors at most ports.

22 minutes ago, marnie2005 said:

Private tour operators are readily available in lots of ports we’ve been to and we have had very positive experiences for the most part! Anyone else??

Not as prevalent in Hawaii as they are in other areas of the world like the Caribbean. I'm not saying there won't be some but at best you won't have the choice you would in other places you've visited and a worst there won't be any. 

In Hawaii a lot of activities are bookable at kiosks a resort hotels (which also provide beach services for their guests). Activities are usually (but not always) bookable by non guests here. Could be a strategy if you don't find what you are looking for off of the boat. It would obviously require transportation there and back. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Not as prevalent in Hawaii as they are in other areas of the world like the Caribbean. I'm not saying there won't be some but at best you won't have the choice you would in other places you've visited and a worst there won't be any.

Agreed.

Maybe I didn't notice, but I don't remember a lot of "come choose me" vendors at any of the ports in Hawaii in October. I definitely remember such vendors in Mexico and Central America.

If you want to "wing it" I would wing it in advance.

Edited by scottca075

On 12/14/2022 at 7:02 AM, marnie2005 said:

I'm not a fan of 'winging it' on Maui if you are docked in Kahului. At the very least, you will want to have a car reserved ahead of time like Traveller20074 said, and a few choices of where to go.  Haleakala and Road to Hana can be very weather dependent. With a lot of rain, it's not super uncommon that the RTH has places washed out. Wing it plan A. Wing it Plan B, and wing it Plan C would be my advice for Maui.

• Like 1