Alaska Newbies

nolegirl01

8 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

I've flown both in and out of  Sitka.   For those who haven't the runway is on a rather small island.  Wheels are down and the plane is slows down approaching landing speed before you even see the runway below you.  You just see the ocean below you.  Taking off the plane is taken down to the very, and I mean very, end of the runway. Engines are revved up and you shoot down the runway.  The first time I ever landed in Sitka my right hand was clenched, and I mean CLENCHED, by someone in the next seat.  But great pie at the airport.  The history of pie is a long story.

I've also flown into Dutch Harbor/Unalaska which is much worse for those who are nervous to fly.  The planes are again moved to the very edge of the runway, engines are revved, and you shoot down the runway.  Then there are some "interesting" turns as the plane climbs out, and maneuvers around the dormant volcanoes and mountain tops.

To put this into another perspective - bush pilots flying multi-engine commercial aircraft.

Ya donna hafta go to one of those theme parks for a thrill ride !

On 12/15/2022 at 6:54 AM, Northern Aurora said:

I've flown both in and out of  Sitka.   For those who haven't the runway is on a rather small island.  Wheels are down and the plane is slows down approaching landing speed before you even see the runway below you.  You just see the ocean below you.  Taking off the plane is taken down to the very, and I mean very, end of the runway. Engines are revved up and you shoot down the runway.  The first time I ever landed in Sitka my right hand was clenched, and I mean CLENCHED, by someone in the next seat.  But great pie at the airport.  The history of pie is a long story.

I've also flown into Dutch Harbor/Unalaska which is much worse for those who are nervous to fly.  The planes are again moved to the very edge of the runway, engines are revved, and you shoot down the runway.  Then there are some "interesting" turns as the plane climbs out, and maneuvers around the dormant volcanoes and mountain tops.

Wow… that Sitka runway sounds like a couple in Ireland, the Inishmor island runway can only take teeny tiny planes where one of the passengers is effectively sitting where a copilot should be. The one in Sligo ends in the sea and the odd plane has wound up there if the wind gusts from the wrong direction but it can handle slightly larger planes.   

• 4 weeks later...

If you have not reserved anything yet, I highly recommend anything in or out of Vancouver. You literally can get a "two-for-one" vacation as Vancouver is a destination in itself and not to be missed. We went on Royal Caribbean out of Vancouver and did not realize we should have been there a day or two earlier, not just 24 hours. I also liked the one-way since we were able to take the train from Seward to Anchorage Airport. I mean right to the airport as the train has its own station right at the ticket counters!

Going through Seattle I am sure is great but to me this gave us two extra cities within the same trip. Yes, the Anchorage flight back home was not cheap and VERY long. However that train ride across the Kenai Peninsula was amazing! 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 10:17 AM, eileeshb said:

Wow… that Sitka runway sounds like a couple in Ireland, the Inishmor island runway can only take teeny tiny planes where one of the passengers is effectively sitting where a copilot should be. The one in Sligo ends in the sea and the odd plane has wound up there if the wind gusts from the wrong direction but it can handle slightly larger planes.   

The approach into SIT on a nice day is awesome.  

On 12/7/2022 at 10:35 AM, nolegirl01 said:

Oh wow thank you for this! I had no idea! We picked September because I read somewhere you have a greater chance of seeing the Northern Lights and also my birthday is in September. But after reading your very informative post, we might have to reconsider going in September.

Would you say the North/Sound bound cruises are better in terms of what you get to see and experience than the Round Trip from Seattle? We don't have a preference as we don't know since we've never been but if you say the North/Sound bound cruises ending or starting in Vancouver are better in terms of ports and things to see and do, we will definitely look into it!

I personally would never go late September. May has the best weather in Alaska and every month after has more rain. Once you get to mid-September, the potential for horrible weather exists. Think heavy winds that keep ships from being able to leave the dock, heavy rain, etc...

Also - one ways or RT Vancouver have much better times in port than RT Seattle.

Look at the times in port - it is important.

• Like 1