T-Mobile on HAL ships

The-Inside-Cabin

On 12/9/2022 at 7:29 PM, Naismith said:

Some good news is that there is a fantastic signal at Half Moon Cay nowadays (Welcome to the Bahamas!), so we were able to make calls, post to Facebook, etc.  The bad news is that since there was not a great signal on our last visit (pre-Covid), I did not bring a backup battery and had seriously depleted the phone battery by the time we returned to the ship;)

Can you use the signal from Half Moon Cay while still on the ship or do you have to take phones  to island?  I think this question has two issues - island signal strength and avoiding the cell service from ship? 

1 hour ago, badtwin said:

Can you use the signal from Half Moon Cay while still on the ship or do you have to take phones  to island?  I think this question has two issues - island signal strength and avoiding the cell service from ship? 

Did not try it, sorry.  Anyone else attempt from the ship?

It's a good question because we regularly pick up a signal from Haiti when we are down that way (without landing.)

13 hours ago, Naismith said:

Did not try it, sorry.  Anyone else attempt from the ship?

It's a good question because we regularly pick up a signal from Haiti when we are down that way (without landing.)

We just did a B2B that made 2 stops at Half Moon Cay and our T-Mobile phones worked on the ship while anchored and better when we were on shore. 

• Like 1

I am on Rotterdam now with T-Mobile Magenta and with ships wifi we can use free WIFI calling, IMessage and standard text messages. Also, FaceTime for both voice and video work too. Rotterdam internet is the best of any HAL ship we have ever been on. The first time I can say we’re happy to buy it!

I am currently on Zuiderdam and like @Real NHDOC have been using my T-Mobile phone quite a bit. I just received my bill and I have a 53 cent extra charge for the last month which represents two minutes of international use. On board using the ship's WiFi I have had WiFi calling available, but I have also used Whatsapp for texting and voice. When within range of a shore cell tower I have had my phone (and tablet) connected to the local service and used whatsapp for calls. The previous bill was a bit higher but was correct due to international calls at 25 cents per minute made from Panama.

On 12/9/2022 at 10:24 AM, travelers07 said:

Just to confirm- What’s App works on HAL and Princess- assuming you have WiFi coverage.  In fact, What’s App is what I use to talk, text, or video with my daughter in Germany when I am in the US. She tells me that is the preferred method at least in her area or other places she travels in Europe. Works on WiFi or cellular. Keep in mind- cellular rates are charged according to your plan. 

WhatsApp is a phone app and is not dependent on any specific ship or line.  If you have Wifi, then WhatsApp will work. Wifi calling will work too but again you need a Wifi plan on the ship.

We have T-Mobile and use Wifi calling at home as we have no cell service in the area (we live in the country).  Most newer phones will have that as an option.  

Like @travelers07 our son was in graduate school in Switzerland and we used WhatsApp to talk to him all the time.