Looking for Phuket details

sj-cruiser

I'll be stopping for an overnight stay on Holland America Feb 3 through the 4th.  cruisemapper.com said that overnight cruise ships are tendered in but Holland America says they're docked.  Assuming Holland America is correct is there anyone here who has taken Holland America to Phuket for an overnight stay and what was it like where the ship is docked?

When did you go and how much did it cost to get into Phuket City?

What were your highlights when you were there?

Thank you in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2022 at 2:34 AM, sj-cruiser said:

I'll be stopping for an overnight stay on Holland America Feb 3 through the 4th.  cruisemapper.com said that overnight cruise ships are tendered in but Holland America says they're docked.  Assuming Holland America is correct is there anyone here who has taken Holland America to Phuket for an overnight stay and what was it like where the ship is docked?

Thank you in advance.

Depending on the monsoon season cruise ships either dock in Phuket town on the East coast or tender in to Patong Beach on the West coast. Many people prefer the tender in to Patong Beach which is the main tourist area for shopping, restaurants and tours. In Phuket town you are docked in an industrial area and the town centre is approx 2 kilometres away. You should be able to get a taxi form Phuket town across the island to Patong Beach which is approx 15 kilometres.

Please note this advice is based on pre Covid experiences and anything may have changed.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2022 at 2:34 AM, sj-cruiser said:

Thank you in advance.

We are on the same cruise and I've read that if a ship stays overnight they dock at the port and not in the bay off Patong. We've been to Phuket a few times but never by cruise ship and it seems the port is a fair way from Patong which is where you'd normally head. I've seen one site that states a taxi costs about $22-27 but I was wondering whether HAL arrange shuttle buses (at a cost I would assume). 

Patong is a good area to wander around, heaps of shops both cheap and normal and most involve bartering a price. Plenty of restaurants etc. It is where most of the main tourist hotels are located.

• Like 2

If your not into beaches then there is little to actually entertain oneself with in Phuket.

With that in mind we took an amazing day out while there: so good indeed, I wrote a review of it on my cruise blog...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/10/13/one-way-to-do-phuket/

402486511_BandRwithJuneBahtraundersail.thumb.jpg.9c8ace5393be2f78323e2e997ca5ba9a.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 12/27/2022 at 3:49 AM, Solent Richard said:

If your not into beaches then there is little to actually entertain oneself with in Phuket.

With that in mind we took an amazing day out while there: so good indeed, I wrote a review of it on my cruise blog...

402486511_BandRwithJuneBahtraundersail.thumb.jpg.9c8ace5393be2f78323e2e997ca5ba9a.jpg

Wow!  What an amazing write up.  Thank you so much for sharing that.  I think we have a winner!

• Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 3:49 AM, Solent Richard said:

Unfortunately this is no longer available.  I've checked multiple sites and all of them say it isn't available for booking anymore.  I'm so happy you were able to experience it and wish I'd be able to as well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sj-cruiser said:

Unfortunately this is no longer available.  I've checked multiple sites and all of them say it isn't available for booking anymore.  I'm so happy you were able to experience it and wish I'd be able to as well.

I'm so sorry that you're not able to experience it. I will be in Thailand in a couple of weeks and will look into it locally.

• Like 1