We had a Cabana Club on Nieuw Amsterdam! For about 30 minutes. 12/11/22

Don Kehote

47 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Understood, but It's pretty rude to get people riled up and then leave them hanging no matter how long you're on CC.  It's one thing to post on an existing thread and it's another to start a thread accusing the line of some malfeasance and then just let it drop.  It certainly affects the OP's credibility and whether or not it's worth reading the OP's posts in the future...

Well I can tell you that poster is not my favourite either but I think pretty much everyone deserves more respect than that.  

On 12/12/2022 at 2:32 PM, cbr663 said:

I don't think I wrote that he shouldn't be disappointed or angry.  I would be also if I experienced that.  My point though, which seems to be overlooked, is that it is a public space that will be occupied by other passengers.  Passengers who may or may not have the good sense to use their inside voice or even respect the fact that there are other people around them and that is why we would never rent it.

sheesh…..

On 12/12/2022 at 3:34 AM, Don Kehote said:

I will start out with this: we loved the space. The view was lovely, and the loungers were super comfortable. 

But...the downside was far too much to put up with. As we sat there, shortly before departure enjoying the peace and quiet, some guy starts dragging a large speaker out into the common area, blasting what I THINK was the techno part of "Wake me when its over".  Not sure on that. Anyway, we made it VERY clear to Alex, one of our attendants, that this was just NOT cool. A short time later we were approached by the self-appointed DJ, he was in the next cabana over. It was made clear to him as well that 1: I was at this point angry and wanted nothing to do with him and that 2: we didn't pay $400 to listen to his music for a week. He left.

So why were you angry and why did he know, I think it sounds like I would be non confrontational. 

It is after all sail away, I will like to have some fun, but I doubt I will be in cabana for sail away, but perhaps.  At any rate you could always try to make friends and make jokes, like maybe since he is playing loud music for all that are present that he could choose a more appropriate play list that would accommodate his audience.

When he left.  Do you mean he left The Retreat or do you mean he just left your vacinity?  Did he leave "the speaker" in an open/public area of The Retreat? 

Shortly after that, the music started back up.  Alex came back and told us that the guy was some kind of VIP or something, and he would be allowed to keep the music going.

Sounds like this could have been the VIP telling Alex that he was a VIP..  Did he mean that the music would be allowed for the entire cruise?  If so, I would have probably have told Alex that I was going to log a complaint with his name on it and if he could get the VIP to turn it down, I'd give him a 20.  If he couldn't do that or let me talk with his manager, I was going to keep the cabana for the week, show up when the VIP wasn't there and ask HAL for a full refund of the money and associated service fees.  I would likely involve more than Alex and at least let other stewards get some appropriate eye contact and body language.  Perhaps even mention the

to them and that Alex said he couldn't do anything about it.

What about other cabana occupants?  Were they cool with it, were they there?  If they were all occupied at the time and it was that annoying to you, others should have been equally annoyed or angry.

So the refund was processed quickly as OBC when we went down to guest services immediately after that.  We have a meeting request in with the food and beverage manager tomorrow afternoon to discuss our problems with this, as its not just about getting that money back, it was a significant part of our vacation/birthday/renewal/first time on HAL cruise. We really wanted to have a quiet place where we could relax and enjoy some peace and quiet out in the open, and we feel like it was essentially yoinked from us.

Sounds like this in within a few hours of departure.  I would not have accepted the OBC and said, I would like to speak to management before I have to dispute the charge  with my CC company as what I was sold, was never delivered.

I would remind all those involved about this HAL BLOG quote.  Noting QUIETER is the first description.

"The Retreat is an outdoor area that is perfect for guests looking for a quieter, more luxurious place to rejuvenate during their cruise. To make sure those at this prime location can enjoy the wonderful views and take in the relaxing atmosphere, The Retreat includes private cabanas, lounge chairs, sun beds and exclusive bar service."

I would also involve my wife and other passengers if it was truly that bad.

But if you already were refunded, getting a meeting is pointless.  You said $400 back in OBC would make it right and the cabana was filled 10 minutes later.  If you were willing to accept OBC, it should have been $600!

Aside from that debacle, most everyone else has been incredible. Canaletto was incredible (booked again for tomorrow night's osso bucco), the BB King All-Stars were over the top good. I just hope they can fix this. If not for us then for others. 

Rant over, carry on please. 

Sounds bad, but there are so many details lost, that I can't say if I would be "angry" or not.  Certainly I won't like this either if it happens to me, so thanks for the heads up.

At least now I will remember to pack my speaker as well and am sure battling speakers will get more passengers involved.  😉

In my hip pocket is a badass woman, disguised as a disabled person.  She works wonders!