We had a Cabana Club on Nieuw Amsterdam! For about 30 minutes. 12/11/22

Don Kehote

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

On my March 2022 cruise Hal rented one regular cabana to 32 people in essence.  It was rented by 2 people but 32 came and went. 

Along with the dude with the boombox...I'm assuming there's a contract to sign to rent one of these with the rules listed...does anybody know what the actual rules are?

Had a good chat today with first the assistant beverage manager, who facilitated a sit-down with the food and bev director.  Seems like we are making progress.  In fact, wife is on the phone with the director now, right before we head to dinner. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Wakepatrol said:

I just don’t understand wasting precious cruise time having a meeting. You were unhappy, you were refunded, now what?

what can possibly  come out of this meeting? 

Getting this solved for the other people who want a resolution, but are intimidated.  There is such a thing as doing the right thing, even if it sucks. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 4

30 minutes ago, Don Kehote said:

Getting this solved for the other people who want a resolution, but are intimidated.  There is such a thing as doing the right thing, even if it sucks. 

Thank you.  This is the right thing for sure and I appreciate you for doing so.  To walk away thinking so not my problem is not the way to do it.  People need to hold Hal’s feet to the fire because they love to gloss over issues instead of resolving them.  Thank you again for your persistence.  

36 minutes ago, Don Kehote said:

Plus, in my experience, there can be a solution no one here is wise enough to know, and it may be satisfying to everyone. Who knows? Nothing lost by a meeting. Possibly a lot to gain.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, PACD_JG said:

Along with the dude with the boombox...I'm assuming there's a contract to sign to rent one of these with the rules listed...does anybody know what the actual rules are?

There is no contact.  The limit is two people per regular cabana and 4 per family cabana.  I guess hal thinks people will act like adults so there is the problem for some.  Most people behave but I’ve seen my share of people that don’t.  Usually they make short work of it but they do let people get away with much more than they should.

10 hours ago, Destiny0315 said:

Just like CCL's SERENITY adult only retreat area it's all about the euphemisms that are used in the sell. That area can be not so serene sometimes too.

I have been a lot of days on HAL cruises and never once had this kind of disruption.  I don’t rent the cabanas but have never heard a single peep when passing nearby.  This is truly a one-off and needs to be corrected.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Wakepatrol said:

I just don’t understand wasting precious cruise time having a meeting. You were unhappy, you were refunded, now what?

what can possibly  come out of this 

Edited by Mary229
Replied in wrong spot. Sorry

10 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

There is no contact.  The limit is two people per regular cabana and 4 per family cabana.  I guess hal thinks people will act like adults so there is the problem for some.  Most people behave but I’ve seen my share of people that don’t.  Usually they make short work of it but they do let people get away with much more than they should.

In my experience with issues on cruise ships there are designated people to deal with the problem people.  I guess some are trained for mediation skills or if need be headlock skills.  Hoping it doesn’t come to that on HAL

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mightycruisequeen said:

We've never booked a cabana club on HAL.  That said, after reading about your experience, I'd say the odds that we'd be looking to book a cabana club on any future HAL cruise just fell to pretty much zero percent.  Mr. VIP sounds like a total tool, and the fact that he's getting away with his boorish behavior is probably most concerning.  What if he decides he wants to smoke up there?  Is that gonna be okay too, since he's a VIP?

I already have one booked.   If this happens I will provoke this VIP.   The rest will be self defense.   LOL.   Joking... kind of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/12/2022 at 3:34 AM, Don Kehote said:

I will start out with this: we loved the space. The view was lovely, and the loungers were super comfortable. 

But...the downside was far too much to put up with. As we sat there, shortly before departure enjoying the peace and quiet, some guy starts dragging a large speaker out into the common area, blasting what I THINK was the techno part of "Wake me when its over".  Not sure on that. Anyway, we made it VERY clear to Alex, one of our attendants, that this was just NOT cool. A short time later we were approached by the self-appointed DJ, he was in the next cabana over. It was made clear to him as well that 1: I was at this point angry and wanted nothing to do with him and that 2: we didn't pay $400 to listen to his music for a week. He left.

Shortly after that, the music started back up.  Alex came back and told us that the guy was some kind of VIP or something, and he would be allowed to keep the music going.

So the refund was processed quickly as OBC when we went down to guest services immediately after that.  We have a meeting request in with the food and beverage manager tomorrow afternoon to discuss our problems with this, as its not just about getting that money back, it was a significant part of our vacation/birthday/renewal/first time on HAL cruise. We really wanted to have a quiet place where we could relax and enjoy some peace and quiet out in the open, and we feel like it was essentially yoinked from us.

Aside from that debacle, most everyone else has been incredible. Canaletto was incredible (booked again for tomorrow night's osso bucco), the BB King All-Stars were over the top good. I just hope they can fix this. If not for us then for others. 

Rant over, carry on please. 

Do you mean The Retreat never heard of Cabana Club on HAL.   If the retreat I would have asked for my cruise refunded, carried up the chain immediately and not accepted a refund for the cabana only.   The retreat is not advertised as a disco.   At minimum, you should get access to your cabana AND refund.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I’m wondering if HAL would allow that ( a person to bring their personal speaker and “ share “ it with others) on their balcony, the Lido pool, or the aft pool. 

I also was wondering if instead of blasting out techno 'music', the VIP was blasting 'music' with sexually explicit, sexist, and/or bigoted lyrics for everyone else in the area to enjoy.  Would 'Alex; still say it's ok?  If he can do it there, why not in the MDR?  🤷‍♂️ 

11 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I also was wondering if instead of blasting out techno 'music', the VIP was blasting 'music' with sexually explicit, sexist, and/or bigoted lyrics for everyone else in the area to enjoy.  Would 'Alex; still say it's ok?  If he can do it there, why not in the MDR?  🤷‍♂️ 

Good point, they’re turning a blind eye to ball caps and shorts

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wakepatrol said:

Good point, they’re turning a blind eye to ball caps and shorts

Someone in a ball cap and shorts will not affect my dinner at all. I don't need to be in everyone else's business. Loud music is a different story. I would have a convo with a few other of the cabana pax and let them know that at the first port of call I would be buying a boombox and playing orchestra or 60's, 70's and 80's music as loud as possible. I am sure we could come to an amicable agreement with the VIP. Then i would donate the boombox to the crew upon departure. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Laminator said:

and let them know that at the first port of call I would be buying a boombox and playing orchestra or 60's, 70's and 80's

I did that for a neighborhood problem.  It neatly took care of things almost immediately.  I played opera

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

6 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Just like CCL's SERENITY adult only retreat area it's all about the euphemisms that are used in the sell. That area can be not so serene sometimes too.

6 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I have been a lot of days on HAL cruises and never once had this kind of disruption.  I don’t rent the cabanas but have never heard a single peep when passing nearby.  This is truly a one-off and needs to be corrected.  

Just to be clear I totally agree it needs to corrected and was pointing out that if your going to use words like Tranquility (HAL), Serenity (CCL), Sanctuary (Princess), Quiet Cove (Disney), etc...to describe these areas than expect some flak if the definitions of those words are being tarnished.

• Like 1

Here’s something that happened on the recent 150th anniversary cruise on Rotterdam.

One evening I went to the NY Pizza and Deli for supper.  For those unfamiliar with Pinnacle-class ships that venue is on the upper deck of the open two-deck Lido pool area.

About 10-12 drunk and VERY noisy young contract entertainers had commandeered one of the hot tubs -- and the surrounding area.  Not bothering me particularly but I observed most guests getting out of the pool, toweling off, and leaving the area.  I also observed an officer approaching and speaking to the drunk bunch.  Since I was on the deck above I couldn’t hear what he was saying but I surmise that he was asking them to quiet down or leave the area or something. However, their behavior did not change after the officer left.  Again, wasn’t bothering me much as I was somewhat removed and only having something to eat – not attempting to enjoy the pool area.  Point is, there was no attempt (by Security or other department) to actually remedy the situation.  They were still at it when I finished my meal and left.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

Here’s something that happened on the recent 150th anniversary cruise on Rotterdam.

One evening I went to the NY Pizza and Deli for supper.  For those unfamiliar with Pinnacle-class ships that venue is on the upper deck of the open two-deck Lido pool area.

About 10-12 drunk and VERY noisy young contract entertainers had commandeered one of the hot tubs -- and the surrounding area.  Not bothering me particularly but I observed most guests getting out of the pool, toweling off, and leaving the area.  I also observed an officer approaching and speaking to the drunk bunch.  Since I was on the deck above I couldn’t hear what he was saying but I surmise that he was asking them to quiet down or leave the area or something. However, their behavior did not change after the officer left.  Again, wasn’t bothering me much as I was somewhat removed and only having something to eat – not attempting to enjoy the pool area.  Point is, there was no attempt (by Security or other department) to actually remedy the situation.  They were still at it when I finished my meal and left.

I was one of the guests that got out of the pool and left. I was also surprised that no one spoke to them about their behavior.

1 hour ago, Laminator said:

Someone in a ball cap and shorts will not affect my dinner at all. I don't need to be in everyone else's business. Loud music is a different story. I would have a convo with a few other of the cabana pax and let them know that at the first port of call I would be buying a boombox and playing orchestra or 60's, 70's and 80's music as loud as possible. I am sure we could come to an amicable agreement with the VIP. Then i would donate the boombox to the crew upon departure. 

Is anyone saying it will affect their dinner?  Hal has a dress code.  If it doesn't want to enforce it then it's time to get rid of it.  I don't think people need to dress like they are out at the pool.  The dress code is so easy to meet yet its beyond the abilities of some.  I saw several people in pajamas roaming the ship in November.  That's just laziness.