1am Curfew

I know I am old fashioned but I cannot imagine letting my granddaughter, now at 15, staying out until 1am.  I know parents want their kids to have a great time but when we cruise it is a family vacation and we expect family time.  That means she has dinner with us most evenings but is free to meet up with other kids if she wants.  Also, how late do they sleep in when they stay up that late.  Just cannot imagine letting them stay up so late and then sleeping most of the day, if that is what they do.  I just grew up in a different time, so don't give me your snide comments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, lovescats5 said:

I know I am old fashioned but I cannot imagine letting my granddaughter, now at 15, staying out until 1am.  I know parents want their kids to have a great time but when we cruise it is a family vacation and we expect family time.  That means she has dinner with us most evenings but is free to meet up with other kids if she wants.  Also, how late do they sleep in when they stay up that late.  Just cannot imagine letting them stay up so late and then sleeping most of the day, if that is what they do.  I just grew up in a different time, so don't give me your snide comments.

I think some parents think of a cruise as Mom and Dad's own little getaway despite bringing their kids along.  They tend to let the kids "have their own fun".  I have no judgement about that but it's just not how we cruise.  We tend to do things together as a family, and our kids occasionally go do things on their own, which is happening much more now, but our kids are college and high school age.  When they were younger (e.g. 7-13 yrs old) they rarely were running around the ship on their own.  We're not helicopter parents by any means, but it's just not our family style.  

When my wife and I want "Mom and Dad's own little getaway" we found someone to watch the kids,  and then we go with our other adult friends.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lovescats5 said:

At 15 my kids stayed up late regardless of where they were. In high school they had crazy busy schedules and rarely went to bed before midnight during the week. They’re really good power nappers, I think now as young adults they average 6 hours of sleep a night. They never missed a family breakfast on a cruise. On weekends they go out with friends and don’t get home until after 3 am (over the winter college break my 20 year old twins drove me nuts bringing friends home at that time, a little too noisy for me).