Live(ish) from Westerdam Xmas/NY cruise from Auckland 20Dec22

I can't see us getting to any of the shows on this cruise. The times just don't fit with Traditional Dining times. The early show is 7pm - we could just make it to dinner afterwards but it would be a rush and we'd run the risk of delaying our table for service. The second show is 9pm, possible if dinner service is very fast and we rush through the meal but that would annoy me too much. We really enjoy relaxed dinners onboard.

I'm very impressed with the laundry service on Westerdam so far. We put in a very well-stuffed bag of laundry last night - left on the bed for our steward to collect during evening turndown - and it was back in our cabin by 10am this morning. That has to be an all-time record for ship laundry services!

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The times just don't fit with Traditional Dining times

Julie keep an eye on the daily program for a performance of the musicians in the Lincoln Center Stage if you like listening to instrumental music. On sea days they often have performances in the afternoon.

The B.B. King's All-Stars were great to listen to but there was not much masking that went on as most people had drinks.

4 hours ago, sewgood said:

Julie keep an eye on the daily program for a performance of the musicians in the Lincoln Center Stage if you like listening to instrumental music. On sea days they often have performances in the afternoon.

The B.B. King's All-Stars were great to listen to but there was not much masking that went on as most people had drinks.

We spotted the Lincoln Centre Stage this morning. It looks interesting but we might not get a chance to go there until the sea days.

We went up to the Explorations Cafe for coffee. Really bad espresso. Made into a shot glass then tipped into a cold espresso cup to serve so the crema was lost. It was very noisy there too, especially as the woman sitting next to us kept making phone calls.

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We booked this cruise relatively late - in June - so we only had the option of Traditional Dining, and chose the late option which is at 7:45pm

I just checked my booking for my NZ cruise in March 2023 and I can't see anywhere you have to book what kind of dining you want.  What are the options and how did you book this, please?

52 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We went up to the Explorations Cafe for coffee. Really bad espresso

I had to laugh when I read this as my husband loves his speciality coffees and after having two on the Westerdam he gave up and waited until he got ashore to buy his latte.

Looks like things haven't changed.

2 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I just checked my booking for my NZ cruise in March 2023 and I can't see anywhere you have to book what kind of dining you want.  What are the options and how did you book this, please?

It just came up as one of the selections when we booked. I think it only had two options, Early and Main, but there is apparently Open Dining as well.

1 hour ago, sewgood said:

I had to laugh when I read this as my husband loves his speciality coffees and after having two on the Westerdam he gave up and waited until he got ashore to buy his latte.

Looks like things haven't changed.

Rolf got a proper, and quite decent, espresso in  the MDR with breakfast. But the obes in the supposed speciality cafe/bar were pitiful.

I never drink lattes onboard ships. They usually use long-life milk which tastes nasty to me when heated.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It just came up as one of the selections when we booked. I think it only had two options, Early and Main, but there is apparently Open Dining as well.

OK, I found it in the original booking print out. It says "Dining: open seating".  On the actual 'Manage my Booking', it doesn't mention dining except for the two speciality dining options, which are included in the Have it All package, and which I have now booked. 

This is only my second cruise,  and first with HAL, so I have a lot to learn.  I'm just looking up what I can get with the drinks package for $11 or less. Looks like an interesting selection of wines, quite different to what was offered on my first cruise on Princess.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

"Early" /"Main" seatings on HAL, 5 pm/8 pm or thereabouts, are set dining (reserved) for very evening. "Open" is "come when you wish" which usually translates to come early or come later.  Sometimes they even allow reservations for "Open" :)

3 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

OK, I found it in the original booking print out. It says "Dining: open seating".  On the actual 'Manage my Booking', it doesn't mention dining except for the two speciality dining options, which are included in the Have it All package, and which I have now booked. 

This is only my second cruise,  and first with HAL, so I have a lot to learn.  I'm just looking up what I can get with the drinks package for $11 or less. Looks like an interesting selection of wines, quite different to what was offered on my first cruise on Princess.

Yes, there is quite a comprehensive wine list. It reminds me a bit of Princess wine lists before 2019 but with even more choice by the glass. 

2 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

"Early" /"Main" seatings on HAL, 5 pm/8 pm or thereabouts, are set dining (reserved) for very evening. "Open" is "come when you wish" which usually translates to come early or come later.  Sometimes they even allow reservations for "Open" 🙂

I imagine Open Dining was booked out by the time we booked this cruise. We've done Anytime Dining on Princess and all their dining is like that now. You can reserve a table for a set time each night but it doesn't always work out. Anyway we're happy to have the later dining time at the moment, we prefer to dine later.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I imagine Open Dining was booked out by the time we booked this cruise. We've done Anytime Dining on Princess and all their dining is like that now. You can reserve a table for a set time each night but it doesn't always work out. Anyway we're happy to have the later dining time at the moment, we prefer to dine later.

Don't remember there being a choice of dining mode/times when I made my bookings. I just did a dummy booking and no choices come up before you have to commit to the booking (i.e. part with some money). Both my booking confirmations automatically said 'Open Seating' (which is my preference).

2 hours ago, boeckli said:

Don't remember there being a choice of dining mode/times when I made my bookings. I just did a dummy booking and no choices come up before you have to commit to the booking (i.e. part with some money). Both my booking confirmations automatically said 'Open Seating' (which is my preference).

Strange. Maybe they've changed things but we only booked this cruise in June which is why I thought Open Seating must have been full. 

The dining choice is usually just before or after where you choose the bed configuration from memory. Similar to Princess.

14 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Strange. Maybe they've changed things but we only booked this cruise in June which is why I thought Open Seating must have been full. 

The dining choice is usually just before or after where you choose the bed configuration from memory. Similar to Princess.

Can't remember choosing bed configuraton either ...

I booked in mid Oct for Westerdam's November cruise and in late Oct for Noordam in February. Pretty certain that there was no choice for bed and dining preferences (Queen and open dining). Maybe that is the default for dining until it is full.

We have mandatory RATs this morning. We all have to be in our cabins by 9am when the test kits will be delivered. Once we have done the RAT we have to show the result to our cabin steward.

The captain is announcing Covid numbers during his daily announcement. Yesterday just before departing Tauranga there were two cases onboard - both crew members. It will be very interesting to hear his report this afternoon. 🤔😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@SilvertoGold

Tauranga port info.

Tauranga is a walk off port. Make sure you take photo-id ashore with you for when you come back through the port entrance.

The wharf is actually in Mount Maunganui with shops, restaurants, and beaches a short walk away. There is an i-Site information booth just inside the port gates and you can get tours through them, including the HoHo bus. There is a new ferry that runs from the wharf just outside the port gates (just past the ice cream kiosk) to Tauranga. It will operate until the end of March.

Tauranga is the port for day trips to Rotorua (NZ's main thermal area) and Hobbiton.

There are walking tracks up Mt Maunganui, and a thermally heated swimming pool complex at the bottom. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, boeckli said:

Can't remember choosing bed configuraton either ...

I booked in mid Oct for Westerdam's November cruise and in late Oct for Noordam in February. Pretty certain that there was no choice for bed and dining preferences (Queen and open dining). Maybe that is the default for dining until it is full.

The defaults are probably Queen Bed and Open Dining so easily missed if that's what you want.

We have done our RATs, both negative, and are now sitting in Explorations overlooking the bow as we head into Napier. Great views but the coffee is still bad despite trying to ask that they actually espress the coffee directly into the espresso cups. Their barista needs training badly! I miss Aljay who made the best espresso on Coral Princess!

We had breakfast in the buffet this morning. It's mayhem! People barging everywhere. Some of the food is served to you but other items are self service and things are all over the place. The tea/coffee area is also messy - mugs middle left, teabags to the right, hot water in the middle, bin for used teabags on the far right, milk middle left but half & half far right. Of course I guess I could make my tea American-style - get the mug, add hot water, get the teabag and add it to the now slightly less hot water, then dispose of the tea bag and add half & half to my tea. Yuck!

The Gala dinner last night was nice. Fillet mignon, rack of lamb and yellowtail fish were the prime options - I had the lamb and it was beautiful. Lobster was available at extra cost. 😡 Everyone at our table dressed formally but some people were very casually dressed. 

We really do have one of the best tables in the Dining Room. We scored the window seats last night (we all agreed to take turns) and had wonderful wake views. 

Tonight we're going to Canaletto for the first of our included speciality dinners. 

• Like 2