Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

1 hour ago, Margaretwelker said:

I’ve called Viking to get a copy of what their excursions are like but no luck there. They said they would be released to me about 30 or 60 days before the trip. I am a single traveler, so entry-level cabin. Can anyone please take a photo or send to me an example of what the excursions are like? I imagine the free excursions are just a bus ride around the city. Would this be correct?

No, included excursions are not only bus rides.  Some have been on boats.  A few nights ago, there was Mumbai Mela, which was an extravaganza put on by Viking that was on the roof of a hotel.  It included dancers, music, turbans and henna, bracelet making and sari wrapping.  Appetizers were passed and there was a huge, buffet line.  It was a free excursion, but had been planned for a few years.  

Here is a pic of the excursions in Egypt.  

image.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lilyskittymom said:

Have you looked on the Viking website?  Click on each day of the itinerary and a list of possible excursions pop up.  It'll show the length, difficulty and other info for each excursion.

Maria

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try to logon to the website for the Neptune. I might not be able to since I am not a passenger on that ship.

IMO the excursions( both included and extra) on our World Cruise were superior to any we have experienced on our other cruises!  I also think entertainment was much better!  Amazing brunches and special dinners were also so special!  There were yoga and stretching classes. A choir was formed!  Everyday we were amazed and grateful to be able to wake up to the adventure of travel.  As soon as I win the lottery we will go again!!!  

There were a number of singles and they seemed to love the experience too.I do not think you will regret this trip!

• Like 2

On 3/28/2023 at 5:14 PM, Aspen&Birch said:
On 3/26/2023 at 11:18 AM, mbviking2023 said:

One last tip - don't panic if you are closed out of an excursion you want.  There are so many options to get you there, either on your own, or with a small group.  In our planning for this WC we were closed out of favorites, and managed to go see all of them.  This board is excellent for organizing those small groups.

Expand  

1 hour ago, Margaretwelker said:

I’ve called Viking to get a copy of what their excursions are like but no luck there. They said they would be released to me about 30 or 60 days before the trip. I am a single traveler, so entry-level cabin. Can anyone please take a photo or send to me an example of what the excursions are like? I imagine the free excursions are just a bus ride around the city. Would this be correct?

I am happy to share the print out I have of all the excursion descriptions as well as prices to anyone who wants it once I get home. You can email me at barbara.l.malm@gmail.com and I’ll send to all in May. I’m sure it will be helpful to understand the current offerings so you can begin research. I remember how anxious I was for info when I was planning. 

52 minutes ago, Margaretwelker said:

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try to logon to the website for the Neptune. I might not be able to since I am not a passenger on that ship.

What is your email address.Or email your address to travelannie22@gmail.com

11 hours ago, spangler said:

To add to Mark's comments the tour was exceptional.  I wish to thank all the previous WCs that recommended Memphis Tours.  They were great to work with and did a excellent job pulling the tour together for the 27 that went on it.  I can share details of organizing the tour for a group if you have interest in doing the same on a future Viking WC.  

Thank you!  We are on the Sky 23/24 WC and might possibly be interested in this, not sure yet.  My email is:  DENISEDLD@ATT.NET.  If you would be so kind as to email me at your convenience, I may like to take you up on your offer to share details of organizing the tour at some point after you all have returned and we are busy planning our shore excursions!!!  Thank you so much.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Margaretwelker said:

I am pretty sure they will be released well before that.  Our booking (we are in PV class) says shore excursion booking will open on September 14th (we are on the Sky, departing FLL 12/20/23).  Since there are I think 3-4 cabin classes above us, with 10 days between opening for booking between each class, I am guessing the bookings at the highest cabin class will begin maybe late July or early August.  And they have to make the list of shore excursions available prior to that for people to review.  They will be visible to you once open (but before your cabin class can book).  I know, because we watched in frustration on one cruise where several of the excursions we wanted were sold out well before our DV class was able to book.  But we got most of the others we wanted, and Viking did make some additional availability once we were on board the ship.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Margaretwelker said:

I am guessing perhaps they mean just go on to the public website, as if you were researching a world cruise.  Once you are there, stay on the "itinerary" page, and scroll down to the list of ports.  To the far right for each one, you will see a "read more" arrow to expand that port.  The page that brings up will show you possible shore excursions for each port, though they of course caveat they are subject to change and I'm sure they do change them up for a variety of reasons from year to year.  Here's a link both to the main page:

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/world-grand/viking-world-cruise/index.html

and then to an example of a page for potential shore ex for a specific port, in this case, Cozumel:

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/world-grand/viking-world-cruise/index.html#itineraryday/3

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Floater69 said:

Stay on the ship in Cochin.....

I agree with your statement a while back, and others participating in this forum, that all comments both positive AND not so much, should all be posted to help provide well-rounded and various perspectives on all aspects of the trip. I have read all the posts, by all passengers, on this forum, eagerly, in anticipation of the Viking Sky WC in December.  It seems that you have been able to point out places or activities which you have not enjoyed.  I'd be interested in also hearing your positive perspectives - are there some places, or activities, or aspects of life on the ship, which you have particularly enjoyed?  Thanks for sharing all perspectives, to all the people who are taking time during the cruise to continue posting!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mstadleraz said:

We visited Mattancherry Palace and the Jewish Synagogue in Kochi. Both were very nice and interesting. India concerned me as we contemplated our journey. However, I was pleasantly surprised. India is  amazing, can be depressing in some areas and overwhelming by everything you experience. I can see us returning some day to explore more. It is a fascinating country and by their standards very advanced. We cannot compare ourselves to their society because from their perspective, there is not as much to be desired in North America. Gandhi made that clear in a letter to Roosevelt during WWII.

By the way, did you know there are millionaires in the slums? They collect recyclables and find other items of value in the trash. Would never have known that if I had not visited the area. They make the best of what they face.

Sounds very nice....it is a cesspool. See attached...I think you get a free jar of flies with each purchase. This is the "fresh " market. Stench was incredible....

14 hours ago, spangler said:

I can share details of organizing the tour for a group if you have interest in doing the same on a future Viking WC.  

I would be interested in the details please. I am on the 2024 WC. My email is avahondj@gmail.com

Thank you,

Diana

Edited by DJVKN

6 hours ago, Margaretwelker said:

You can go to www.viking.com and look up the world cruise. Under the section "Learn more" - you can click on each port and see the excursions that MIGHT be offered.

8 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

I wouldn’t even try.  The reason being (that I discovered early on) is that excursions that I have enjoyed immensely have been panned by others. Opinions are based on outside influences like weather and tour guides, so one group going out earlier might miss crappy weather going out later.  Another example just happened recently where we had an authentic Indian meal.  It was fabulous.  The woman across the table picked at it, saying she’d prefer McDonalds.  I don’t think she had a very good time….in fact, I know she didn’t.

My suggestion is to do what YOU enjoy.

I absolutely love Indian food. Got exposed to it many years ago in London. Go to Indian restaurants regularly, and many authentic as we have many people from India who live in Orange County, CA.  I will be a happy camper having authentic Indian food.

10 hours ago, Margaretwelker said:

I can send you a copy of the excursions with the prices but I need your email or you can email me at Travelannie22@gmail.com

Our ad hoc event in Mumbai was incredible!  Ten passengers from the world cruise had a special night in Mumbai.  We arranged for a special concert/lecture/demo of Indian Classical Music, arranged by Deepa Krishnan of Magic Tours of India.  The performers were incredible, we had wonderful homemade snacks - samosas and sweets with chai tea, and had a chance to try some of the instruments.   

Another mention off not being afraid to look elsewhere for tour opportunities. Deepa runs tours all over India and for our next visit here she will be our first call!

DFDF37B4-BCB7-47AB-BF92-12FBD73557D3.jpeg

• Like 5

From another blog it sounds like Viking put on a Mela for passengers which looked wonderful.  Indian food in India is so much better than Indian food in other countries. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Pushka said:

From another blog it sounds like Viking put on a Mela for passengers which looked wonderful.  Indian food in India is so much better than Indian food in other countries. 

They did - it was a wonderful surprise.  A last minute "excursion" added and we're so glad we went.  Food, dance, drink, henna, and we all came home with turbans.

20230402_103622.jpg

20230402_104556.jpg

20230402_105924.jpg

20230402_111701.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Pushka said:

It was wonderful.  Viking did a fabulous job of entertainment, up to the point where I got to watch 8 men pick up and move a car that was parked where it blocked the bus (not scheduled entertainment, but amusing anyway)!  It ended way too soon.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

It was wonderful.  Viking did a fabulous job of entertainment, up to the point where I got to watch 8 men pick up and move a car that was parked where it blocked the bus (not scheduled entertainment, but amusing anyway)!  It ended way too soon.

I can only hope for something like this when we go to Mumbai on Viking given it's success but don't like our chances as it isn't a world cruise. Reading all the blogs avidly now as in a month we are on Viking tracing your path through India, Oman, Egypt, Jordan and Israel and I'm grabbing so much info.  So you WC are just three weeks ahead of our trip. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2023 at 9:49 AM, Tawa2 said:

We will be on Neptune 23-24 WC & considering a Cochin-Delhi/Taj Mahal-Mumbai excursion. Most interested to hear from anyone on this cruise who did this.Thanks

wc2324 at outlook dot com

We just did an up and back excursion (24 hours) and after doing it would not do it any other way.  We flew out early in the morning, Mumbai to Delhi, drove to Agra, saw the Taj Mahal and Fort Agra, had a delicious buffet lunch and got in a little shopping.  Drove back to Delhi and flew back to Mumbai.  Got back on the ship almost exactly 24 hours after we walked off. It was helpful not having luggage to check or carry.  We understand some in other overnight groups had their luggage delayed.  Hopefully, you will hear from them. Sure we were a little tired for a day, but we had a great day with no issues.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, flowsue said:

We just did an up and back excursion (24 hours) and after doing it would not do it any other way.  We flew out early in the morning, Mumbai to Delhi, drove to Agra, saw the Taj Mahal and Fort Agra, had a delicious buffet lunch and got in a little shopping.  Drove back to Delhi and flew back to Mumbai.  Got back on the ship almost exactly 24 hours after we walked off. It was helpful not having luggage to check or carry.  We understand some in other overnight groups had their luggage delayed.  Hopefully, you will hear from them. Sure we were a little tired for a day, but we had a great day with no issues.

We did an overnight and no one checked bags. It was nice to get a little shut eye before having a busy day. All flights worked well and timing was perfect. Others stayed 2 nights and had additional activities. It really depends on what you want to get out of the trip.

• Like 1