Wine question: Don't Flame Me

E&D2004

10 hours ago, E&D2004 said:

On the app menu it says Opus One.  Once on board I will research more deeply.

On my ship, Opus One is only listed under red blends

Oops, varies by venue

Edited by John&LaLa

On 12/27/2022 at 8:17 AM, John&LaLa said:

No need really, but they are working on some C&A 'experiences'

Many geared towards the Pinnacles, both existing and those who ascend along the way.

I was wondering about that also.   As Pinnies we already get most of the "exclusive WC freebies" offered on board.  

Will be very interesting indeed, along with how many of us there are on that sailing.  

On 12/27/2022 at 9:58 AM, orville99 said:

You are going to need an extra suitcase just for the crystal blocks😇

Since pin status perks traditionally start on the cruise after you make that level, I would hope that they do something really special for those folks😇although it is taking almost that long for them to send out the milestone recognition stuff now.

I will be refusing them.  Serenade is the one ship that I keep getting duplicates on...and give each one away.  I must be addicted to that little ship.  😄 

• Haha 1

On 12/29/2022 at 2:07 PM, crewsweeper said:

Serious Queston for expensive wine imbibers:  Is a bottle at even $150, much less $1300 really THAT MUCH better than a similar varietal of similar year vintage under say $50?

For example, I love a good bourbon but I'm not going to pop mega bucks for  a Pappy or WL Weller when a 4 Roses Small Batch is just as tasty.

Spent 12 years in the wine business as a sales rep to restaurants.   I always told the staff when I would teach wine classes to the wait staff...."The Golden Rule of wine is the wine you like the best".  

Could be a high end Bordeaux....or a simple glass of White Zin .   It's what you like that matters. 😉 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 8:09 PM, E&D2004 said:

On the app menu it says Opus One.  Once on board I will research more deeply.

I checked the menu for my upcoming cruise and you are right. They are selling both wines from Opus at almost retail price. Now is the time to enjoy a bottle!!!

On 12/24/2022 at 7:58 AM, George C said:

We had dinner at the captains table just once about ten years ago and I believe Belle Glos was served almost bought a bottle of that when I picked up an assorted case at Tom Thumb 30 percent sale.

We did Captains Table on Mariner June 22, and found to to be horrible.  The pairings were ok at best, and one was really “off” and should never have been paired.  The wine steward was just a normal waiter reading off a script, trying to make a bottle worth $12 at retail sound special.  The best wine was a $45 Mondavi, and it as nice enough, but overall the table mates were drunk and the one other wine guy at the table (didn’t know him, but easy to spot) was also clearly unimpressed.

conceptually, it was to be an awesome night. In the end the field was remarkable, but the rest was meh.

HOWEVER, (and herein lies my question to my fellow winos) only about 1/10 of the MDR wine list was available (the selections were nothing shy of miserable) and I am trying to determine if RCL is going downmarket and ignoring wine, or if it was just the ship, or if it was the timing.

Anyone see a similar experience and is it improving? Or is it time time move in fromRCL? Please help!

On 12/31/2022 at 8:13 AM, island lady said:

Spent 12 years in the wine business as a sales rep to restaurants.   I always told the staff when I would teach wine classes to the wait staff...."The Golden Rule of wine is the wine you like the best".  

Could be a high end Bordeaux....or a simple glass of White Zin .   It's what you like that matters. 😉 

100%

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sms1973 said:

We did Captains Table on Mariner June 22, and found to to be horrible.  The pairings were ok at best, and one was really “off” and should never have been paired.  The wine steward was just a normal waiter reading off a script, trying to make a bottle worth $12 at retail sound special.  The best wine was a $45 Mondavi, and it as nice enough, but overall the table mates were drunk and the one other wine guy at the table (didn’t know him, but easy to spot) was also clearly unimpressed.

conceptually, it was to be an awesome night. In the end the field was remarkable, but the rest was meh.

HOWEVER, (and herein lies my question to my fellow winos) only about 1/10 of the MDR wine list was available (the selections were nothing shy of miserable) and I am trying to determine if RCL is going downmarket and ignoring wine, or if it was just the ship, or if it was the timing.

Anyone see a similar experience and is it improving? Or is it time time move in fromRCL? Please help!

I'd guess the availability would be more extensive at Chops, Vintages, 150, etc...