Who determines how loud the music is ?

JennysUncle

There are many complaints on Cruise Critic that the sound levels in the Rolling Stone and BB King venues are too loud.  Countered by comments that this embodies high-energy performance, and that R&R & Blues are supposed to be LOUD.  Granted, the right loudness is a personal preference.  

But that brings up the question -- Who actually determines the sound level?  In the first instance, it is the sound technician in the control room at the back, with the volume knob and (probably) a VU meter.  But who decides what the level should be?  Just him? or the Music Director of the group?  or the Lead Entertainment Host?  or the Cruise Director?  or a clause in the contract with BBK/RS?

OK, I will start the ball rolling.......

A few years ago on a cruise (Koningsdam I believe) there was a brand new BBK band whose first night coincided with our first night.   They were dire.  For the next few days they were in the BBK Club room every waking hour (when there was no other HAL event scheduled to use the stage).  Sometimes they played 'live' and sometimes they played with headphones on.   There was a guy at the mixing desk who was not crew.  He would correct, coach, and cajole them until he got a good 'sound'.  During the third nights performance, I saw the guy walking around the room to different locations and watching an listening all the time.  Near the end of the third set, he was standing outside the sound booth and as I passed I just said to him "they are starting to sound together.  Well done and thank you!"

Next night he was eating in Lido and I again casually said "That must have been hard work, but so worth it" and we started a conversation.

He was from BBK corporate and his job was to go from ship to ship to get the band together and set the sound levels.  The crew member who operates the sound desk only moves the dials to predefined levels and has no influence on the sound.  Neither is he authorised to raise or lower the sound levels nor change the balance between inputs.  His sole purpose is to move the dials to the pre defined levels after some other use of the sound desk (e.g. Meet the Captain, Cooking demo, Lincoln Stage etc).

So, in a nutshell, it is BBK corporate that set the levels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 10

21 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

He was from BBK corporate and his job was to go from ship to ship to get the band together and set the sound levels.  The crew member who operates the sound desk only moves the dials to predefined levels and has no influence on the sound.  Neither is he authorised to raise or lower the sound levels nor change the balance between inputs.  His sole purpose is to move the dials to the pre defined levels after some other use of the sound desk (e.g. Meet the Captain, Cooking demo, Lincoln Stage etc).

So, in a nutshell, it is BBK corporate that set the levels.

Wow, an actual answer !  Thank you VMax1700.

It's a kind of depressing answer; it means that passengers and even staff have no influence.  At best there is a review by whoever is the head of Entertainment overall for the HAL fleet.  Maybe someone with poor hearing, burnt out from listening to music too loudly.  Noting the mention in another thread that the threshold for hearing damage is two hours at 91db - the level in BBK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My partner and I, both musicians were on the Konigsdam a few years ago (pre-covid). The band in BBK was excellent, except that the fine vocals were way too soft. Several times we talked to the sound man about that, and eventually to the Cruise Director. He was the one that told us all the sound levels are set by Corporate and cannot be changed.

• Like 1

I've been enjoying BBK group almost since their start. I've been complaining about the sound levels being too high with some hit and miss success over the years.  I decided to purchase some ear plugs which block the loud sounds.  Now I can enjoy the music.

• Like 1