A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

16 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Now mysty you have fallen for the NZ spin. The"manuka" tree is also endemic to Australia and much more prolific here.

https://melukaaustralia.com.au/blogs/news/meluka-honey-vs-manuka-honey-what-is-the-difference?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz9GVn8mpgAMVIP5MAh0fDQO0EAAYAyAAEgJ8fPD_BwE

The kiwifruit is the Chinese gooseberry originally.

Sauvignon blanc is grown around the world and better in Cold climates. not only the South Island of NZ but Australia's south island Tasmania. having worked i Tasmania for about 7 years all up I rate their sauvignon blanc as better. French wineries have invested there such as Domaine chandon and Mumm.

Though the locals have upset the french not so long ago.

https://www.skynews.com.au/lifestyle/tasmanian-bubbles-claims-historic-scalp-as-it-defeats-toptier-french-rivals-to-claim-award-at-champagne-and-sparkling-wine-world-championships/news-story/093ff2bd13e8c5a2f764ee3f67bddec4

We also have more crayfish, salmon and lamb than the kiwis. Their green lipped mussels are IMHO inferior to the common black mussels.

The Kiwi burger also originated in Australia.

https://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/news/food-and-culture/australian-burger-ingredients-17102

Well now,  there's a big ooops on my part!  Mea culpa @drron29 !  I’ll stand in the corner with my dunce cap on! 🤣  It won't be the first time!  I had intended to move on to dishes to try in Australia for tomorrow.   Could I ask you and other folks in-the-know to make suggestions for us instead of my ham-fisted approach please?  Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, mysty said:

Well now,  there's a big ooops on my part!  

No  such thing  mysty  !!   There is a lot of rivialry  between  NZ and Aust,  and not just in  sport  !

Aussies take great pride in one upping the NewZealanders at any chance they get so  no  worries  on that score !  

As to  our food  we have such a multi-culture base that  we eat anything, we have every sort of cusine here and are lucky to  have such a choice  !    🤩

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, rojaan19 said:

No  such thing  mysty  !!   There is a lot of rivialry  between  NZ and Aust,  and not just in  sport  !

Aussies take great pride in one upping the NewZealanders at any chance they get so  no  worries  on that score !  

As to  our food  we have such a multi-culture base that  we eat anything, we have every sort of cusine here and are lucky to  have such a choice  !    🤩

Thank you @rojaan19 !  Is there something culinary that is unique to Australia?  Or some method of preparation that is unique?  Canadians claim poutine.   Although I'm not sure of the validity of that claim. 😅

Well there are a few unique foods though not all widely eaten or enjoyed.

Kangaroo and emu meat comes to mind but generally served in tourist destinations but particularly in northern Australia.

Down in Tasmania they serve wallaby at quite a few restaurants. much less gamey than kangaroo and virtually no fat. I used wallaby mince frequently when cooking for myself. My specialty was spicy wallaby Bolognese sauce with pasta. But really good in Mexcan dishes instead of beef.

Another thing to try is indigenous foods which have been incorporated into great dishes by some of our best chefs. Things like Kakadu plum, qandong,bush tomato,warrigal greens and my specialty the finger lime that I grow. great in G&Ts but also added to salads and made into a sauce for fish.

There are also some spices being commercially cultivated such as Tasmanian pepper and lemon myrtle.

A few things have been claimed by others such as Hawaii with macadamia nuts and new zealand claiming our national dessert the pavlova.

It was 2003 when the first cooking show featuring indigenous ingredients hit the TV. Ironically it was produced by a Canadian film company from Toronto.There were 13 episodes and this one is from Bondi Beach. I think all of them are on You Tube.

And a few articles on good restaurants that feature bush tucker.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Australian+fine+dining+restaurants+featuring+indigenous+ingredients

https://www.queensland.com/au/en/things-to-do/food-and-drink/restaurants-and-cafes/indigenous-food-experiences

And food businesses run by indigenous people.

https://seasonedtraveller.com/best-of-lists/indigenous-australian-owned-food-restaurant-directory

And of course I didn't mention our meat pies and vegemite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Well there are a few unique foods though not all widely eaten or enjoyed.

Kangaroo and emu meat comes to mind but generally served in tourist destinations but particularly in northern Australia.

Down in Tasmania they serve wallaby at quite a few restaurants. much less gamey than kangaroo and virtually no fat. I used wallaby mince frequently when cooking for myself. My specialty was spicy wallaby Bolognese sauce with pasta. But really good in Mexcan dishes instead of beef.

Another thing to try is indigenous foods which have been incorporated into great dishes by some of our best chefs. Things like Kakadu plum, qandong,bush tomato,warrigal greens and my specialty the finger lime that I grow. great in G&Ts but also added to salads and made into a sauce for fish.

There are also some spices being commercially cultivated such as Tasmanian pepper and lemon myrtle.

A few things have been claimed by others such as Hawaii with macadamia nuts and new zealand claiming our national dessert the pavlova.

It was 2003 when the first cooking show featuring indigenous ingredients hit the TV. Ironically it was produced by a Canadian film company from Toronto.There were 13 episodes and this one is from Bondi Beach. I think all of them are on You Tube.

And a few articles on good restaurants that feature bush tucker.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Australian+fine+dining+restaurants+featuring+indigenous+ingredients

https://www.queensland.com/au/en/things-to-do/food-and-drink/restaurants-and-cafes/indigenous-food-experiences

And food businesses run by indigenous people.

https://seasonedtraveller.com/best-of-lists/indigenous-australian-owned-food-restaurant-directory

And of course I didn't mention our meat pies and vegemite.

WOW!  This is awesome @drron29 !  A thousand thank you's !  Myster had camel and emu and croc while we were in Adelaide and Alice Springs on our first visit to your amazing country in 2004!  We're doing a Bush Tucker walk at Fraser Island on this cruise.  So much to explore and enjoy! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mysty said:

WOW!  This is awesome @drron29 !  A thousand thank you's !  Myster had camel and emu and croc while we were in Adelaide and Alice Springs on our first visit to your amazing country in 2004!  We're doing a Bush Tucker walk at Fraser Island on this cruise.  So much to explore and enjoy! 

Myster just reminded me that I should have mentioned his love of Moreton Bay Bugs.   We'll be on a mission to find them when we're in Australian ports next year. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mysty said:

Myster just reminded me that I should have mentioned his love of Moreton Bay Bugs.   We'll be on a mission to find them when we're in Australian ports next year. 

Though in Sydney they are often called Balmain bugs though the name Moreton bay is taking over. Some restaurants will call them slipper lobsters just to really confuse things.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Though in Sydney they are often called Balmain bugs though the name Moreton bay is taking over. Some restaurants will call them slipper lobsters just to really confuse things.

That's good to know @drron29 !  I've been scanning menus for the ports we will visit.   I did find them as Moreton Bay Bugs at Tha Fish in Cairns. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mysty said:

That's good to know @drron29 !  I've been scanning menus for the ports we will visit.   I did find them as Moreton Bay Bugs at Tha Fish in Cairns. 

Moreton Bay bugs is the Queensland name after the bay off Brisbane -Moreton Bay.

• Like 1

Let's move on to Lombok, Indonesia.  The information here comes from https://www.thejakartapost.com/travel/2017/06/24/10-must-try-traditional-dishes-in-lombok.html .

Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara (NTB) is popular among tourists for its exotic beaches and underwater beauty. However, its traditional dishes are something that one shouldn’t miss. Here are the top 10 best traditional dishes from the region.

1. Rembiga Satay - This beef satay has a soft texture with a mix of sweet, savory and spicy flavors. The name Rembiga comes from Rembiga village in NTB.

2. Plecing Kangkung - Your trip to Lombok won’t be complete without sampling the region's most popular vegetable dish: plecing kangkung. It's made from blanched water spinach, served cold, with a dollop of special chili sauce as a topping. It's also accompanied by other vegetables such as bean sprouts, string beans and grated coconut.

3. Ayam Taliwang -  Ayam Taliwang is undoubtedly the iconic Lombok cuisine, traditionally featuring grilled chicken served with sambal (chili paste). Although the original version has the chicken grilled, there are some places that offer deep-fried chicken as well. Foodie tip: Always look for ayam Taliwang places that serve free-range chicken as it is the best breed to be cooked for the menu.

3843173627.jpeg.9b86e97ed199e5da0ced46e27137c965.jpeg

4. Sate Bulayak - Sate Bulayak is actually pretty similar to sate Madura (Maduranese chicken or meat skewers, popularly known as 'satay'). What differentiates the two lies in how the lontong (rice cakes) are served. The lontong for sate Bulayak is wrapped in spiral-shaped sugar palm leaves. The beef satay itself is cooked using a special chili paste recipe from the Sasak tribe.

5. Nasi Balap Puyung - Nasi Balap Puyung is steamed rice served with shredded chicken, chili paste, soybean, abon (shredded and fried meat) and fried eel.

6. Ares -  Ares is a traditional dish made of pelepah pisang (young banana stem) cooked together with coconut milk among other spices that produce a mix of sweet and savory tastes. Ares is usually served by the Sasak tribe as an accompanying dish during a wedding ceremony.

7. Sate Tanjung - Unlike other satay dishes that are usually made of beef or chicken meat, sate Tanjung is made of cakalang (tuna) fish that is marinated with coconut milk and other spices.

8. Poteng Jaje Tujak dan Iwel - This dish usually only shows up during Eid celebrations. Poteng is fermented sticky rice, while jaje tujak is actually gemblong (glutinous rice cakes glazed with palm sugar). Poteng jaje tujak is cooked with a mixture of dracaena and pandan leaves.

9. Bebalung - The main ingredient of bebalung Soup is cow ribs or sometimes buffalo ribs. These ribs are flavored with bird’s eye chili, garlic, shallot, galangal, turmeric and ginger. Once cooked, a handful of fried shallots are added to the soup. The most popular eatery that serves bebalung is at Depot Kelebet located behind NTB governor's office.

10. Beberuk Terong -  Also popularly known as 'Gado Gado Lombok', beberuk terong is usually served alongside ayam Taliwang. Its main ingredient is chopped purple eggplants mixed with tomatoes and other spices and a bit of lime juice. (asw)

Just now, turtlemichael said:

We had dinner there tonight! But alas not the Moreton Bay bugs.

I'm sure your dinner was amazing Turtle!  We really enjoyed our visit there in 2019 and are excited about a second go in 2024!  And of course, it was at your suggestion that we even found this place!  Many culinary thanks for that!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, turtlemichael said:

They are actually a bit different but good luck in picking the differences on your plate! UPDATED BUG GUIDE WEB_v2 (daf.qld.gov.au)

A Bug Guide!!!!  How awesome is that!  Thank you Turtle!  I'm sure I would not know a Moreton Bay from a Balmain.  And I'm also sure I would not care!  Yummy is yummy! 😅

On 1/2/2023 at 6:09 PM, mysty said:

Tokyo to Seward (Anchorage, Alaska)
Silver Shadow - 19 Days
April 21, 2024 Voyage SS240421020                              Avg Temp               Rain Days        
22 Shimizu, Japan *                                                                62                            19                
24 Kagoshima, Japan *                                                          62                             ...                

26 Kanazawa, Japan *                                                            55                             ...                
27 Niigata, Japan *                                                                  62                             ...                
28 Sakata, Japan *                                                                  50                            20                
29 Aomori, Japan *                                                                 47                            ...                
30 Hakodate, Japan *                                                             45                            ...                
1 Otaru, Japan *                                                                       42                            ...                
7 Dutch Harbor, USA  *                                                            41                           ...                
9 Kodiak Island, Alaska, USA     *                                           44                          16            
10 Seward (Anchorage, Alaska), USA                                   52                           13

* - indicates a new port for us

... - indicates the data were not available

I note that there are now quite a few missing ports of call replaced by Busan & Nagasaki, which is shame  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, burfies said:

I note that there are now quite a few missing ports of call replaced by Busan & Nagasaki, which is shame  

Agreed!  We were really looking forward to the new ports in Japan that were introduced when the 2 Russian ports were removed from the itinerary.  We really enjoyed our time in Japan in 2019 and we're keen to enjoy the ports there that we haven't visited before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mysty said:

Agreed!  We were really looking forward to the new ports in Japan that were introduced when the 2 Russian ports were removed from the itinerary.  We really enjoyed our time in Japan in 2019 and we're keen to enjoy the ports there that we haven't visited before.

Did they explain why those ports of call were removed?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, burfies said:

Did they explain why those ports of call were removed?

The only thing close to an explanation was ..."Due to logistical and operational restrictions, we have had to revise our port schedule and will now call on Nagasaki, Japan, and Busan, South Korea, in lieu of Niigata, Sakata and Aomori, Japan."

At least we will have 9 ports in Japan to explore.  😁  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mysty said:

The only thing close to an explanation was ..."Due to logistical and operational restrictions, we have had to revise our port schedule and will now call on Nagasaki, Japan, and Busan, South Korea, in lieu of Niigata, Sakata and Aomori, Japan."

At least we will have 9 ports in Japan to explore.  😁  

Thats a shame, you gained a sea day & lost a port!  The same happened to us on the Wind which is dep in Oct this year. We hope to join you from Tokyo to SFO . Just waiting to hear back if all the "included" excursions are still available or sold out? No point in booking if we cannot do any of the free excursions!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, burfies said:

Thats a shame, you gained a sea day & lost a port!  The same happened to us on the Wind which is dep in Oct this year. We hope to join you from Tokyo to SFO . Just waiting to hear back if all the "included" excursions are still available or sold out? No point in booking if we cannot do any of the free excursions!

There are some excursions that are waitlisted.   However,  many times the waitlist does get cleared.  I hope you decide to join us!  😁

1 hour ago, burfies said:

@burfies  I did a quick peck at the Included Excursion availability for Tokyo to SFO.  Just wanted to give you an idea of the situation as it stands today.

April

21 Tokyo, Japan  - 5 Included Excursions - None Waitlisted                        
22 Shimizu, Japan - 5 Included Excursions - None Waitlisted                
24 Kagoshima, Japan - 5 included Excursions - None Waitlisted            
25 Nagasaki, Japan - 4 Included Excursions - None Waitlisted
26 Busan, South Korea - 4 Included Excursions - 1 Full - EXPLORING GIJANG COUNTY (BUS-F)
28 Kanazawa, Japan - 5 Included Excursions - None Waitlisted
30 Hakodate, Japan - 6 Included Excursions - None Waitlisted

May
1 Otaru, Japan - 2 Included Excursions - None Waitlisted
7 Dutch Harbor, USA  - 6 Included Excursions - 6 Included Excursions - All Full
9 Kodiak Island, Alaska, USA     - 4 Included Excursions - 2 Waitlisted - NATIVE VILLAGE OF AFOGNAK (ADQ-N) and KODIAK WATERFRONT WALKING TOUR (ADQ-O)
10 Seward (Anchorage, Alaska), USA -  No Tours Listed            
11 Whittier, Alaska, USA - 1 Included Excursion - Not Waitlisted                
12 Cruise Hubbard Glacier, Alaska, USA      - No Excursions        
13 Icy Strait Point, Alaska, USA  - 2 Included Excursions - 1 Waitlisted - WHALE & MARINE MAMMALS CRUISE (ISP-HA)        
14 Sitka (Alaska), USA - 10 Included Excursions - 1 Full - WATERFALL CHAMPAGNE TOAST HIKE (SIT-008)
15 Juneau (Alaska), USA  - Late Arrival    10:00 PM            
16 Juneau (Alaska), USA  - 7 Included Excursions - 1 Full - MENDENHALL GLACIER FLOAT TRIP (JNU-S)            
17 Wrangell, USA -     3 Included Excursions - 2 Waitlisted - JOHN MUIR HIKE (WRG-L) and SHAKES CANOE (WRG-M)
18 Ketchikan, USA  - 12 Included Excursions - 1 Waitlisted - BERING SEA CRAB FISHERMEN ON THE ALEUTIAN BALLAD (KTN-M)                    
19 Prince Rupert (British Columbia), Canada - 5 Included Excursions - None Waitlisted
20 Seymour Narrows (British Columbia), Canada  - Cruising - No excursions
21 Victoria, Canada - 7 Included Excursions - None Waitlisted                
22 Vancouver, Canada  - 1 Included Excursion - Waitlisted                
23 Vancouver, Canada - 1 Included Excursion - Waitlisted    

You'll notice that some of the excursions are marked FULL.  It may be that the spaces available have been filled and no further spaces will be available.    

On a subject totally unrelated, a lot of my clothes are considered ‘hand wash’ so I will wash them myself.  Is there a clothesline in the room for hanging clothes on, or is it something I need to bring?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JoGay said:

On a subject totally unrelated, a lot of my clothes are considered ‘hand wash’ so I will wash them myself.  Is there a clothesline in the room for hanging clothes on, or is it something I need to bring?

There is an line that extends over the tub from one side wall to the other.  I bring clothes pins.   

Edited by mysty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mysty said:

@burfies  I did a quick peck at the Included Excursion availability for Tokyo to SFO.  Just wanted to give you an idea of the situation as it stands today.

April

21 Tokyo, Japan  - 5 Included Excursions - None Waitlisted                        
22 Shimizu, Japan - 5 Included Excursions - None Waitlisted                
24 Kagoshima, Japan - 5 included Excursions - None Waitlisted            
25 Nagasaki, Japan - 4 Included Excursions - None Waitlisted
26 Busan, South Korea - 4 Included Excursions - 1 Full - EXPLORING GIJANG COUNTY (BUS-F)
28 Kanazawa, Japan - 5 Included Excursions - None Waitlisted
30 Hakodate, Japan - 6 Included Excursions - None Waitlisted

May
1 Otaru, Japan - 2 Included Excursions - None Waitlisted
7 Dutch Harbor, USA  - 6 Included Excursions - 6 Included Excursions - All Full
9 Kodiak Island, Alaska, USA     - 4 Included Excursions - 2 Waitlisted - NATIVE VILLAGE OF AFOGNAK (ADQ-N) and KODIAK WATERFRONT WALKING TOUR (ADQ-O)
10 Seward (Anchorage, Alaska), USA -  No Tours Listed            
11 Whittier, Alaska, USA - 1 Included Excursion - Not Waitlisted                
12 Cruise Hubbard Glacier, Alaska, USA      - No Excursions        
13 Icy Strait Point, Alaska, USA  - 2 Included Excursions - 1 Waitlisted - WHALE & MARINE MAMMALS CRUISE (ISP-HA)        
14 Sitka (Alaska), USA - 10 Included Excursions - 1 Full - WATERFALL CHAMPAGNE TOAST HIKE (SIT-008)
15 Juneau (Alaska), USA  - Late Arrival    10:00 PM            
16 Juneau (Alaska), USA  - 7 Included Excursions - 1 Full - MENDENHALL GLACIER FLOAT TRIP (JNU-S)            
17 Wrangell, USA -     3 Included Excursions - 2 Waitlisted - JOHN MUIR HIKE (WRG-L) and SHAKES CANOE (WRG-M)
18 Ketchikan, USA  - 12 Included Excursions - 1 Waitlisted - BERING SEA CRAB FISHERMEN ON THE ALEUTIAN BALLAD (KTN-M)                    
19 Prince Rupert (British Columbia), Canada - 5 Included Excursions - None Waitlisted
20 Seymour Narrows (British Columbia), Canada  - Cruising - No excursions
21 Victoria, Canada - 7 Included Excursions - None Waitlisted                
22 Vancouver, Canada  - 1 Included Excursion - Waitlisted                
23 Vancouver, Canada - 1 Included Excursion - Waitlisted    

You'll notice that some of the excursions are marked FULL.  It may be that the spaces available have been filled and no further spaces will be available.    

Oh my goodness, thank you sooo much for doing this! you work much faster than my TA!  booking the 2 legs tomorrow. See you on board! I don't suppose you play bridge? Many thanks again, Sue 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, burfies said:

Oh my goodness, thank you sooo much for doing this! you work much faster than my TA!  booking the 2 legs tomorrow. See you on board! I don't suppose you play bridge? Many thanks again, Sue 

You're most welcome!  I'm faster because I don't have any clients! 😅  I played bridge eons ago and that skill (what there was of it) is long gone.  You will find many bridge players aboard though.  See you on board! 😁