Masks and testing on the Queen Elizabeth

equinelady

We are currently on the 13 day New Zealand cruise.  Just thought I would update regarding mask wearing.

We are required to wear masks indoors if not eating or drinking.  They are strict about this.   Bring extra as they are not freely available.  
   We had to test before going on board Saturday. This was a self test in which we took a photo of the test showing ID and date(watch or cell phone).
Then on Sunday morning the ship  provided another test, which every one took in their cabin, and then showed results to the room steward.  

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Would anyone have any updated information on the current requirements for mask wearing onboard (I am talking mandatory for covid not the masquerade type)?

I was looking to book an upcoming cruise, and seeing on the Australian Cunard website that there is mandatory mask wearing onboard, and during boarding etc, and also that all shore experiences will be on organised excursions only using vetted operators, plus a whole lot more.

An email to Cunard did confirm the mask requirements.

However many of these restrictions are not showing in the FAQ section on the UK website. So there may be different requirements in different regions.

I am not looking for any discussion on the pros and cons of mask wearing, I get that, personally I struggle with it for long periods and will look for alternate ways to spend my leisure time and money if these mandates are still in place.

I was looking at Japan to Alaska on the QE in May.

I have recently been on a Carnival cruise in Australia, and the mandatory requirement had been lifted. I am a little surprised to see it still in place on any cruise line if that information is correct.

Japan is still wearing masks outside from recent videos I've seen  - so you probably dont' want to go there if you don't want to wear a mask. They have dropped actual rules but if everyone around you is doing it as a visitor obviously you'd do the same . 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, giddy_up said:

Would anyone have any updated information on the current requirements for mask wearing onboard (I am talking mandatory for covid not the masquerade type)?

I was looking to book an upcoming cruise, and seeing on the Australian Cunard website that there is mandatory mask wearing onboard, and during boarding etc, and also that all shore experiences will be on organised excursions only using vetted operators, plus a whole lot more.

An email to Cunard did confirm the mask requirements.

However many of these restrictions are not showing in the FAQ section on the UK website. So there may be different requirements in different regions.

I am not looking for any discussion on the pros and cons of mask wearing, I get that, personally I struggle with it for long periods and will look for alternate ways to spend my leisure time and money if these mandates are still in place.

I was looking at Japan to Alaska on the QE in May.

I have recently been on a Carnival cruise in Australia, and the mandatory requirement had been lifted. I am a little surprised to see it still in place on any cruise line if that information is correct.

Looking at Cunard's Australian website, I can't see any mention of 'all shore experiences will be on organised excursions only using vetted operators'.

What I can see is that each country visited on the ship will have their own requirements for entry. Can't find any mention of organised excursions as only way to access ports from the ship. It was not that way when I was on board in Australia in February.

As for mask wearing, in February, and apart from a requirement for wearing masks during embarkation and disembarkation, the requirement for mask-wearing was only made on board in response to rising numbers from about day 8 or 9 onwards. Prior to that there was very little mask wearing but very good compliance once the Captain ordered it.

As Lissie says, above, if you are thinking about going to Japan it's more likely that mask wearing would be expected, certainly at least from a cultural perspective.

58 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Looking at Cunard's Australian website, I can't see any mention of 'all shore experiences will be on organised excursions only using vetted operators'.

What I can see is that each country visited on the ship will have their own requirements for entry. Can't find any mention of organised excursions as only way to access ports from the ship. It was not that way when I was on board in Australia in February.

As per the screenshot below showing the response to "Why cant I leave the ship without booking a shore experience"

image.thumb.jpeg.681e65579c5c35ef9ae03ed567d41f8b.jpeg

I note the the Cunard UK website has only 10 FAQs under the "Our Covid-19 protocols" whereas the Australian on has 35.

I could not find a US or Japan version of the website.

I understand that the may be more cruise specific information once a booking has been made, however at this point I am not prepared to make that booking until the requirements are clearer.

The mandatory mask requirements in Japan was lifted in March, and yes I was not originally intending to go back to Japan for a longer holiday until at least next year.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2023/03/13/national/japan-mask-rules-caveats/

Flying in a day before, staying clear of public transport and other high density areas for a 1 day before boarding is doable. Note that masks on flights to Japan are not mandatory.

And I have done 2 previous multiweek trips to Japan, so are aware of cultural courtesies.

But this question was not about about holidaying in Japan, this was about the mandatory requirements on board the Queen Elizabeth for a 28night cruise.

I have done 2 cruises in the last 6 months, the first still had the mandatory mask requirements. I was miserable and stayed away from the entertainment venues, just grabbed my food from the buffet and went outside to eat, and otherwise stayed on deck or in my cabin.

The other cruise the mandates were dropped allowing me to enjoy more of what was offered onboard.

Coincidentally, I caught covid on the cruise with mask mandates, but did not catch on the cruise without.

This is my personal issue, and I think as it stands I will drop considering this cruise with Cunard.