Turn Down Service Requests

New2cruise2022

On 1/10/2023 at 10:31 PM, J0Y0US said:

Neither of you are in the wrong for wanting more but NCL put you against the worker.

I disagree.  NCL is the intermediary between the passenger and the crew member.  NCL contracts with the crew, sets their work schedule, and offers them a level of compensation which they believe to be adequate to entice the crew to continue working for the cruise line.  If NCL sets working conditions which result in an inferior level of service, then passengers have reasonable cause for dissatisfaction with the cost vs. benefits of cruise travel.  NCL states that the Daily Service Charge is a recommended amount, but that it is possible for passengers to request that it be reduced or even eliminated if there is sufficient cause.  If that means that one or more crew members receive less pay, that's on NCL, not the passenger who receives less than quality service.

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2023 at 9:59 AM, pghflyer said:

I heard so many people comment on this, I think it made a bigger difference than anyone (us and NCL) appreciated. It is interesting that service charges INCREASED 25% but our actual service received DECREASED by about 35%. I know there is inflation but it feels like this was more about profit margin. This is the first cruise we didn't leave any small token extra tip for our steward, but I guess may be how things go now - I feel bad for them as I know they work hard and seems like they now have more work and less time to provide personal service.

Love you reasoning.  The stewards are working harder and you're tipping them less?  Shouldn't it be the other way?

Seems folks forget who is the employer and customer in these discussions. It isn't my responsibility to compensate employees more because their employer is requiring them to spend more of their time across a larger number of customers. In actuality I am paying the NCL staff MORE in gratuity than I previously was and getting LESS service personally from them (actually never even saw my room steward once on a 9 day cruise). Not looking to fight about tipping or wage practices, was mainly trying to share there was a significant change in service on my cruise that was noticed by many. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Love you reasoning.  The stewards are working harder and you're tipping them less?  Shouldn't it be the other way?

I would hope that the stewards are getting more in tips than in the past; both in the increased "recommended" daily amount and the fact they are responsible for more cabins.

We just got off the Prima and I think this was the first time we didn't provide an additional tip for the cabin steward. Cabin Attendants (as I guess they're called now) don't seem to have the time to provide anything besides the minimal services required - none of those  "extra touches."  We called for ice on our first night, which the attendant brought, but from then on ice was brought in the morning and was of course melted by the evening when we wanted it.

There were other subtle cuts like only two bath towels rather than the usual four. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pghflyer said:

Seems folks forget who is the employer and customer in these discussions. It isn't my responsibility to compensate employees more because their employer is requiring them to spend more of their time across a larger number of customers. In actuality I am paying the NCL staff MORE in gratuity than I previously was and getting LESS service personally from them (actually never even saw my room steward once on a 9 day cruise). Not looking to fight about tipping or wage practices, was mainly trying to share there was a significant change in service on my cruise that was noticed by many. 

Amen!!!!!

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2023 at 2:07 PM, pghflyer said:

I think I kind of agree with this thought.  Some times when negotiating an excursion I'll bargain with the "Front Man" and see what they will actually take for an excursion.  Then I love to tip the tour guide who does the real work an extra sum.

So, go down to the Front Desk and tell them the service isn't up to par compared to past cruises you've been on.  You have to be careful not to put the cabin steward in a bad light or they will catch the wrath from their superior.  Then at the end of the cruise tip your cabin steward generously with what you saved if you are so inclined.

An interesting little story for you.  Years ago we forgot the tip envelope on the last night of the cruise in the Dining Room.  After eating I went back to the room for the envelope and proceeded to take it back to the Dining Room.  The doors were closed and I opened one and nobody was in the room.  I went in to try and find a our waiter or maitre'd and saw a table that had three piles of envelopes and money laying there.  WOW!  It blew me away the amount of money that was just laying there.  I put my envelope down on one of the piles and I was out of there!  My guess that was Maitre'd money as I don't think three waiters would sit around a table and open their envelopes.