NCL Promo Air - Booked it, now not using it - Do I let NCL know?

truckswain

Our fist experience with NCL Promo Air was excellent so I thought I would try it again on our upcoming Encore Cruise in March.  I just received the Air confirmation and the Airline is a charter only airline ( Air Transat) we fly into and out of Fort Lauderdale, the cruise is sails out of Miami and our return flight leaves at 10pm arriving after 1am the next day.

I realize with Promo Air all of the above was possible and flights cannot be changed.  I took my chances.  But for a variety of reasons the NCL flights just don'w work for us.

I have now booked my own flights.

My question is do I need to let NCL Air know that I will not be on the flights they have booked for us?

My fear of course is letting them know and some over zealous rep cancels our cruise or worse because we are not on the booked flights they take our names of the passenger list and we are denied boarding.

Anyone else experience this?

17 hours ago, lfdemt said:

If you are not going to use the air. Cancel it.  You can get some money back depending on your sail date.  If you are closer than 60 days you can get back 25%  more than that 50%.  I have never done it but I would call and cancel.  

https://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

Thank you Ifdemt!!

I had no idea you could cancel just the air portion of a cruise booking.  I called today and got 50% refund on my the air portion.  

Good lessons learned here.  You need to be very flexible to use the NCL promo air and for some that is not a problem.  

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, truckswain said:

Thank you Ifdemt!!

You are welcome. The only reason I know is that I called after final payment to link the reservations between my cabin (myself, hubby and minor son) with my sisters cabin (sister and my two minor daughters) and was told they no longer off the “travel with” program and that it’s possible we won’t be on the same flights. No care that it’s my minor children. So I asked what happens if I cancel and was given that information.  We have not received our airfare yet but I may be doing exactly what you just did.  So I’m glad to hear you were able to do it. Thanks. 

i think once you get the airfare tickets, you can't cancel and get partial refund.  I believe you can choose not to use the tickets, but you will not get a refund.  You will be throwing away the price you paid plus adding on the new airfare.  That was my understanding after talking to someone at NCL in the air department.  I think all changes have to be made before final payment.

33 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

i think once you get the airfare tickets, you can't cancel and get partial refund.  I believe you can choose not to use the tickets, but you will not get a refund.  You will be throwing away the price you paid plus adding on the new airfare.  That was my understanding after talking to someone at NCL in the air department.  I think all changes have to be made before final payment.

I read it as the OP got his flights, purchased new ones and then got a partial refund. 

19 hours ago, lfdemt said:

If you are not going to use the air. Cancel it.  You can get some money back depending on your sail date.  If you are closer than 60 days you can get back 25%  more than that 50%.  I have never done it but I would call and cancel.  

https://www.ncl.com/about/cancellation-fee-schedule

Thank you for this information.   While we do not take the NCL air, my BIL and his family did for our upcoming extended family vacation.   He is not thrilled with his return flight and it makes it worse that we will be home already before he takes off, then has another 1.5  to 2 hours to get home once he lands.  Jokingly,  he said my husband can pick them up from the airport then.   

44 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

Had you taken the time to read the responses before you, You would have been able to avoid given out wrong information.  The OP is past final payment date and by using the cancellation fee schedule was able to receive 50% refund. All of which had been discussed before your misinformation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, truckswain said:

Thank you Ifdemt!!

I had no idea you could cancel just the air portion of a cruise booking.  I called today and got 50% refund on my the air portion.  

Good lessons learned here.  You need to be very flexible to use the NCL promo air and for some that is not a problem.  

You were able to get 50% back even though you had less than 30 days to your sail date? 

We have 3 rooms and one is three 18 and under minors who can’t fly alone.  It’s a gamble to take the NCL Air but cross country trips have skyrocketed.  

It’s easier to take the gamble if we could get a refund for part of the fare if we choose not to use the fare to keep everyone together.   I thought at the point they assign airfare it was too late for any refund. 

12 hours ago, SunshineGal2022 said:

You were able to get 50% back even though you had less than 30 days to your sail date? 

I was 70 Days out from sail date.  The only reason I knew the flights would not work for me is that they had issued the air tickets. 

I booked my new flights direct with Air Canada and then called NCL and got a 50% refund of what I had paid for the promotional air. 

Only speculation on my part but I am sure NCL has a way to recoup their cost from the airline.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lfdemt said:

Had you taken the time to read the responses before you, You would have been able to avoid given out wrong information.  The OP is past final payment date and by using the cancellation fee schedule was able to receive 50% refund. All of which had been discussed before your misinformation.

Hey, I was just going by what I was told by my PCC when i inquired about canceling my airfare 30 days out( that's the i received the air tickets). He had told me that I cannot cancel and get a partial refund once the tickets have been sent out. If I cancel the airfare, I will lose the money paid, plus be on hook for my new tickets.   No need to be snippy.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 10:34 AM, vacation44 said:

Thank you for this information.   While we do not take the NCL air, my BIL and his family did for our upcoming extended family vacation.   He is not thrilled with his return flight and it makes it worse that we will be home already before he takes off, then has another 1.5  to 2 hours to get home once he lands.  Jokingly,  he said my husband can pick them up from the airport then.   

Did your BIL try to cancel?  I'm curious because my sister just got her flight info and the flight down makes me nervous, only has a 50 min layover in atlanta gets into Orlando at noon. get bags and hour drive to port doesn't leave much wiggle room.  Thinking about booking a different flight down but would keep the flight home, but unsure if you can cancel only one way.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lfdemt said:

Did your BIL try to cancel?  I'm curious because my sister just got her flight info and the flight down makes me nervous, only has a 50 min layover in atlanta gets into Orlando at noon. get bags and hour drive to port doesn't leave much wiggle room.  Thinking about booking a different flight down but would keep the flight home, but unsure if you can cancel only one way.

I second this question. Flight into Orlando day of sailing feels tight, wondering about doing my own thing a day before but keeping my NCL flight home, if that's even an option

2 minutes ago, TxTeach79 said:

I second this question. Flight into Orlando day of sailing feels tight, wondering about doing my own thing a day before but keeping my NCL flight home, if that's even an option

Wait!?!?! Does this mean I get to experience one of your epic trip reports on a NCL ship? There's not a lot that would make me happier...just kindly don't cruise at the same time as me. It's such a commitment to read through 44 pages of posts, but well worth it my good Texas sir! 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, TxTeach79 said:

We have three cabins and have only gotten the air for one of them. I would like to wait to get the others before attempting this but if you try it please come back and let me know how it goes. I only have a few more days until the cancellation forfeit goes from 50% to 75% 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Wait!?!?! Does this mean I get to experience one of your epic trip reports on a NCL ship? There's not a lot that would make me happier...just kindly don't cruise at the same time as me. It's such a commitment to read through 44 pages of posts, but well worth it my good Texas sir! 

I apologize in advance for my longwindedness 😂... but yeah, good lord willing and the creek don't rise I'll be annoying everyone over here Thanksgiving week on Escape. Long time to wait on that one!

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Also, 44?!? This is a solo cruise. I'll take the over. 

well I haven't done it yet but I did ask in the Chat and Ruth checked for me and said that it IS POSSIBLE to cancel one way portions of air fare.  As soon as I get our airfare or by day 61 I will call and cancel and find out for sure.  I just don't think 45 mins layover to change planes in Atlanta with a 9 and 16 year old is smart when you were already landing in Orlando after noon to make the ship that leaves at 4?l   (those are my sisters flights and I would think mine will be similar)

31 minutes ago, lfdemt said:

well I haven't done it yet but I did ask in the Chat and Ruth checked for me and said that it IS POSSIBLE to cancel one way portions of air fare.  As soon as I get our airfare or by day 61 I will call and cancel and find out for sure.  I just don't think 45 mins layover to change planes in Atlanta with a 9 and 16 year old is smart when you were already landing in Orlando after noon to make the ship that leaves at 4?l   (those are my sisters flights and I would think mine will be similar)

Don't think yours will be similar! I'm booked on a cruise with three of my clients. Every single one of us have totally different flights, and thanks to flying into Southern Florida, a nice split between Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Thankfully my flights are the best of the lot haha

12 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Don't think yours will be similar! I'm booked on a cruise with three of my clients. Every single one of us have totally different flights, and thanks to flying into Southern Florida, a nice split between Fort Lauderdale and Miami. Thankfully my flights are the best of the lot haha

Ugh. I’ve heard that too. Unfortunately the 16 year old is actually my minor child. Traveling with my sister and niece since that’s how we split us up for the cruise. My 10 year old is with my other sister. I just would be less stressed if we are all together. 

19 hours ago, TxTeach79 said:

So I just called this morning and canceled our flights to the cruise.  I was able to cancel and will be receiving a small amount back. She indicated that it was 50% penalty plus a penalty for it already being booked. We paid $1256 for the 3 airfare $628 for the first, 0 for the second and $628.  SO with keeping the return flight it should have been $628 for the one way and then lose 50% to penalty so $314 is the refund I was expecting and it looks like I'll be getting back $263 so an additional $50 penalty.   Honestly, my lesson has been learned.  Unless we all fit in one room and will be guaranteed to be on the same flight, I will not book the air again, and even then it has to be AMAZING savings for me to give up that control.  For the flight home we are on different flights but they are both non stop and there isn't a 7 night vacation waiting at home if something happens and flights get changed.   

Bottom line you can get some money back (even if the recording tells you you can't) If you decided to change your flights last minute.  We are at 64 days and the penalties go up at 60 days. 

2 hours ago, lfdemt said:

So I just called this morning and canceled our flights to the cruise.  I was able to cancel and will be receiving a small amount back. She indicated that it was 50% penalty plus a penalty for it already being booked. We paid $1256 for the 3 airfare $628 for the first, 0 for the second and $628.  SO with keeping the return flight it should have been $628 for the one way and then lose 50% to penalty so $314 is the refund I was expecting and it looks like I'll be getting back $263 so an additional $50 penalty.   Honestly, my lesson has been learned.  Unless we all fit in one room and will be guaranteed to be on the same flight, I will not book the air again, and even then it has to be AMAZING savings for me to give up that control.  For the flight home we are on different flights but they are both non stop and there isn't a 7 night vacation waiting at home if something happens and flights get changed.   

Bottom line you can get some money back (even if the recording tells you you can't) If you decided to change your flights last minute.  We are at 64 days and the penalties go up at 60 days. 

actually after checking and re checking. I did not get anything back.  100% of the airfare.  50% per the cancellation schedule and I'm assuming 50% as additional penalty.  The only thing I got refunded was the transfers $112.5.  UGH not that it was unexpected but..... 

On 1/14/2023 at 8:39 AM, truckswain said:

Thank you Ifdemt!!

I just tried to do this today and they took 50% for penalty and then said an additional penalty for having the flights already booked and basically took it all.  so no refund for me.  Did you check the confirmation after and double check it.  Or am I missing a step yet?