Where might I buy wine near port in Lima

BigCheese1

15 minutes ago, BigCheese1 said:

Due to the exorbitant price of drinks packages, I think my hubby is keen to buy a few bottles of wine, while we are in Lima. We should have plenty of time. Anyone know of a shop/ store that isn’t too far to haul some wine?

The port isn't actually in Lima, it's in Callao, a rough area that I would not recommend venturing into.

Assuming you're staying in Lima proper for a day or two prior to your cruise if you say where you're staying...Lima is a big city after all...someone may be able to help you.

Check out the Sommelier wine packages that HAL sells before hauling wine around Lima.......the cost per bottle w/tip might be somewhere around $40 a bottle (others will have the exact costs) whereas bringing wine onboard to drink is $20 corkage.

...and yes, you do not want to leave the port gate in Lima/Callao looking for the local grocery store.....that will probably not end well.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, njhorseman said:

The port isn't actually in Lima, it's in Callao, a rough area that I would not recommend venturing into.

Assuming you're staying in Lima proper for a day or two prior to your cruise if you say where you're staying...Lima is a big city after all...someone may be able to help you.

Thanks for this, yes of course you’re right it’s not Lima itself. No, we fly in on embarkation day but the ship doesn’t sail until 5pm the next day. We have an excursion booked for the day we leave Lima (Callao) but only for a couple of hours in the morning.

It’ll  be a case of buy wine if we can safely, I think.

16 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Check out the Sommelier wine packages that HAL sells before hauling wine around Lima.......the cost per bottle w/tip might be somewhere around $40 a bottle (others will have the exact costs) whereas bringing wine onboard to drink is $20 corkage.

...and yes, you do not want to leave the port gate in Lima/Callao looking for the local grocery store.....that will probably not end well.

We are on Oceania but thanks for the thought. Love your phrase “not end well”, ha ha 😂

We are on Oceania but thanks for the thought. Love your phrase “not end well”, ha ha 😂

FlaMariner was actually giving you a warning about your personal safety around the Calleo port area with very good reason.

Read this recent thread and replies to see why. I expect there will be others if you use the CC  SEARCH option to find them, or search the internet in general. with something like "safety at Calleo port"

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2886479-callao-peru/#comment-64516058

Edited by edinburgher

On 1/15/2023 at 9:54 AM, edinburgher said:

FlaMariner was actually giving you a warning about your personal safety around the Calleo port area with very good reason.

Read this recent thread and replies to see why. I expect there will be others if you use the CC  SEARCH option to find them, or search the internet in general. with something like "safety at Calleo port"

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2886479-callao-peru/#comment-64516058

Thanks, yes I know what he was saying and appreciate it very much. ‘Nuff said.