Bergen to Oslo post extension - train class question

longterm

Thanks dd57 .... we very much appreciate leaving everything to Viking.  With work, our time is limited and letting Viking do the planning is the right thing for us to do right now. Yes my husband takes what helps him, but sometimes there's just no way to make seating comfortable. At least now we will have a little warning that he needs to do some preplanning with this. 

Just a thought, KEF used to have a promotion that allowed you up to a 7 day stop-over for free in Iceland. We used this on a trip several years ago when we came off of a Viking cruise that ended in Bergen. Using air plus and air deviation, we booked the train from Bergen to Oslo ourselves, as well as tours and lodging in Oslo, then flew back to the US on KEF  with a 5 day stopover in Iceland. Was a great option.

15 hours ago, janetcbl said:

That surprises me. Have you considered booking the “Norway in a Nutshell” tour for 2 nights, using your TA? This area is one of the most beautiful in Norway if you will only be in Norway a short time.

Yes, the NIN site showed no hotel availability so I then searched independently for a hotel and there are none in Flam where we can get a room. The closest is 10-12 miles away. 

Just searched again and was able to obtain a reservation at the Flamsbrygga. It’s cancelable so if we decide we don’t really need to see another fjord, we will just take the train straight to Oslo and get to have another night there. At $320 per night for what appear to be Holiday Inn Express accommodations with less than stellar reviews, that is likely to be what we do. But at least now we have options. 

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just searched again and was able to obtain a reservation at the Flamsbrygga. It’s cancelable so if we decide we don’t really need to see another fjord, we will just take the train straight to Oslo and get to have another night there. At $320 per night for what appear to be Holiday Inn Express accommodations with less than stellar reviews, that is likely to be what we do. But at least now we have options. 

Haven’t stayed there, but heard good things about it, except for rooms in the Annex which aren’t great. Restaurant is supposed to be pretty good. Prices during “Tourist Season” are crazy; they have always been that way!

Clay, we just did this trip last July after Homelands.  We booked through Fjord Tours (your link above). We secured everything through them—including the Flam hotel which I hadn’t been able to book independently.  We did the trip from Bergen to Oslo. Thru them, booked a hotel in Bergen—stayed the night we disembarked at the Bergen Bors hotel (prettiest breakfast room ever) in a walkable location from the Viking dock. It’s also incredibly close to the Fish Market and the Tourist office where we got tics to Edward Grieg’s house (also recommend this day trip/concert).  Then the next morning began our train/fjord/ bus journey. I was surprised how well coordinated each leg was—no need to worry about logistics. Again thru our singular Fjord Tours reservation, secured an overnight in Flam, excellent upgraded seats, easy to store our bags (but we only do carryon). All through their easy to use website. Hotel in Oslo-Thon Opera. Couldn’t be simpler--right outside the train station in a great location. So so easy to use their Flytojet to get to the airport after two nights in Oslo. Highly recommend this trip and again, the logistics were all worked out. It felt like being on an organized tour since everything was so easy, yet we were traveling independently. Hope it works out for you. We just loved it. A highlight!

58 minutes ago, janetcbl said:

Haven’t stayed there, but heard good things about it, except for rooms in the Annex which aren’t great. Restaurant is supposed to be pretty good. Prices during “Tourist Season” are crazy; they have always been that way!

We stayed there in 2018 and didn't have any complaints.  Nothing fancy but a good overnighter.  My main memories of it was that we had a fjord facing room where the view was blocked when we arrived by a Viking ship (Sky or Sea, I think) in port for the day.  But it was a nice view when they left. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/16/2023 at 4:14 PM, Moonlion said:

When you going through the vy.no booking process, you can select "Plus" which is their equivalent of first class.  You can also select fully refundable, partially refundable and non-refundable.  Seniors get a 25% discount.  The more expensive fares allow you to select your seats in advance. 

It’s strange, I saw none of that. Will try again. Thnx 

Thanks for all the great info so far.  Here is my question, we have booked the post extension Bergen to Oslo and of course be on the train. Is it worth while to additionally do Norway in a nutshell on the day we have free in Bergen, or is it better to do just the train in Flam. ( if possible), because part of Norway in a Nutshell is the same as we will see on the train to Oslo.  

17 minutes ago, stcroixguy said:

Thanks for all the great info so far.  Here is my question, we have booked the post extension Bergen to Oslo and of course be on the train. Is it worth while to additionally do Norway in a nutshell on the day we have free in Bergen, or is it better to do just the train in Flam. ( if possible), because part of Norway in a Nutshell is the same as we will see on the train to Oslo.  

You will repeat the train trip Bergen-Myrdal, but I would do it if you enjoy beautiful scenery and different forms of transportation. The train Myrdal-Flam is a descent of 1,011m for 19km. The boat ride from Flam to Gudvagen is two hours on two branches of a fjord. The bus ride from Gudvagen to Stalheim is a twisty ascent (someone wrote this was closed due to?).  Stalheim is an old hotel with a magnificent view. Routine bus ride back to the rail station at Voss. Check with your TA to see if this has been changed. If not, you can purchase a ticket from them or wait until you are in Bergen (chance that it may be sold out if you wait until then.) Sorry for the loooong answer.

51 minutes ago, stcroixguy said:

You could also consider doing the fjord cruise from Bergen to Mostraumen (https://www.fjordtours.com/things-to-do-in-norway/fjord-cruises/fjord-cruise-bergen-mostraumen/?fbclid=IwAR1uSZv5Y6Zz5GM2476jR0kMiQ7qJIjvttSSaa_k5Wdv7ERWOkDLKmS8vGg).  It's a 3-hour (roundtrip) cruise on a catamaran, departing from Bergen harbor at 10 AM or 2 PM, and costs about $80 pp.