equipment rental in Seattle

eileeshb

I'm cruising Alaska in October (I know it's late in the season but I have no choice due to work) and I'm thinking about renting a lens or 2 in Seattle rather than bringing all my kit from Ireland. Has anyone had any experience with Glazer's Rental ? 

They seem to be the one place in Seattle that might work.  I don't want to do an online rental as I'd have to have it shipped with all the risks associated with that.  I got a lens back from a friend previously that had the O-haze filter smashed on it, lucky was an add on filter rather than the lens.

2 hours ago, kbnovak said:

I've not done Glazer's Rental, but I have done lensrentals dot com, and they come shipped in a Pelican-type hard case, so damage shouldn't be an issue.

I'm just wary of getting something expensive shipped to a hotel and being an international customer I'm probably going to have to jump through more hoops. 

On 1/19/2023 at 9:29 AM, eileeshb said:

place in Seattle

You could reach out to the Photographic Center Northwest in Seattle, a nonprofit organization centered on producing exhibits, events, education and more, mostly all free in the city.

The organization I've been with for many years, also a nonprofit, has collaborated with them on free public art projects, which is how I learned about them...(I'm not in the NW). They've had the same staff for years.

Since they're passionate about all things photography, I reckon they might be able to provide some thoughts or recommendations on places to look in Seattle for obtaining the kit you're looking for. No doubt they are working with artists all the time who frequently rent kit for shoots and projects, so they'd be familiar with area vendors.

Who knows, if you pay for your rental and have it shipped to their center, it's quite likely they'll hold it for you there to pick up. Keeps it in a place that's familiar with handling the equipment, is a smaller familiar group than a hotel, and solely focused on photography. Likely the kit rental shops would be very familiar with Photographic Center Northwest too. 

Maybe email them and ask? Can't hurt. Keep us posted! 🙂 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

You could reach out to the Photographic Center Northwest in Seattle, a nonprofit organization centered on producing exhibits, events, education and more, mostly all free in the city.

The organization I've been with for many years, also a nonprofit, has collaborated with them on free public art projects, which is how I learned about them...(I'm not in the NW). They've had the same staff for years.

Since they're passionate about all things photography, I reckon they might be able to provide some thoughts or recommendations on places to look in Seattle for obtaining the kit you're looking for. No doubt they are working with artists all the time who frequently rent kit for shoots and projects, so they'd be familiar with area vendors.

Who knows, if you pay for your rental and have it shipped to their center, it's quite likely they'll hold it for you there to pick up. Keeps it in a place that's familiar with handling the equipment, is a smaller familiar group than a hotel, and solely focused on photography. Likely the kit rental shops would be very familiar with Photographic Center Northwest too. 

Maybe email them and ask? Can't hurt. Keep us posted! 🙂 

Thanks for that ! I'll definitely check into that organisation, I've a cousin who's an artist coordinator and curator, I know how widely she spreads her network of contacts so they're probably the same.

• 4 weeks later...

Go with LensRentals.com. I live in the Seattle metro, and last I rented lenses from Glazers, they were BEAT UP. Last I checked, LensRentals will not ship to a hotel, but they will gladly ship to a FedEx Office location where you can pick it up. I have gone that route with all of my rentals over the past seven years, along with gear that I've shipped to other cities for jobs I've done.

Depending on exactly where you have the gear shipped, I've often seen the FedEx drivers go straight from the Redmond hub/base to the nearby FedEx Office so they can get my package off their truck quickly and have room for the day's pickups. If you're getting into town early, try to pick up your stuff and check it out to be sure. With the time zone difference, you've got to jump on issues quick so LR can ship a replacement overnight so you can have it in time for your trip.