Lactose free meals, desserts

pirate4sail

Hi all so I have a problem with cream am ok with butter, yogurt but milk, milk chocolate, ice cream, whipped cream are not my friend.  I would love to hear from those of you who have been accommodated by princess and what they would serve for dinner, dessert with these issues. Anyone have experience? Thanks for your responses much appreciated!

Haven’t cruised with Princess yet - 40 days out - but share your problem.  I will bring a full box of lactase pills and take 3 before any meal that might have dairy.  I think there is a fruit option for dessert in the MDRs.  That should be good enough for me.  BTW, you probably know this, but the lactose dissipates over time.  I am just fine with aged cheese.  The problem is aged cheese looks just like unaged cheese.

I am also lactose intolerant but I can tolerate small amounts of lactose. I find that many people don't understand the difference between lactose intolerance and a dairy allergy.  They don't realize that there are dairy products that have very little to no lactose. I have been on the receiving end of some snide remarks and looks because I was, for example, eating hard and/or aged cheeses. As a result, I usually choose not to report my lactose intolerance and just judge for myself whether or not a meal is suitable for me. On Princess, I have never had any trouble finding enough to eat without any assistance from Princess staff.

But....

On our cruise last month, I decided to request the vegan menu in addition to the regular menu and between the two menus I had plenty of delicious and super flavorful dairy free options including desserts (though I often just stuck with the sorbet of the day). The menu is vegan, not just vegetarian, thus everything on it is dairy free😊 My husband tried my vegan potato soup the one night and proclaimed it to be creamier and more flavorful than his potato soup. I love vegan food though and try to avoid meat because of some other dietary issues; this may not have worked as well for someone who loves meat. 

I did order a seafood course many nights, as long as there was one that appeared to be low lactose. Our waiter really grasped the difference between lactose intolerance and a dairy allergy so he was not judgemental when I ordered a dish that appeared to be low lactose. He still always asked the kitchen to prepare the dish without any dairy products if it was possible, I expressed my thanks but stressed that it absolutely wasn't necessary. He would smile and tell me that he understood but if they could make a dairy free version then they wanted to do that for me. He knew it was healthier for me. There was only one night that they weren't able to make the dish totally dairy free. They truly went above and beyond! The waiter mentioned that because we ate dinner so early and because the ship was sailing so under capacity that it really wasn't a problem for them but when the ship is full it is much harder for them to make special dishes. I suspect that if you're going to want or need the kitchen to modify dishes for you then you should speak to the head waiter and ask if you need to order your meals ahead of time (i.e. the night before each meal). 

At breakfast time the vegan section of the buffet had dairy free smoothies and pastries. There was always at least one but most often two dairy free desserts in the dessert section of the buffet for lunch and dinner. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, minabruuke said:

I am also lactose intolerant but I can tolerate small amounts of lactose. I find that many people don't understand the difference between lactose intolerance and a dairy allergy.  They don't realize that there are dairy products that have very little to no lactose. I have been on the receiving end of some snide remarks and looks because I was, for example, eating hard and/or aged cheeses. As a result, I usually choose not to report my lactose intolerance and just judge for myself whether or not a meal is suitable for me. On Princess, I have never had any trouble finding enough to eat without any assistance from Princess staff.

But....

On our cruise last month, I decided to request the vegan menu in addition to the regular menu and between the two menus I had plenty of delicious and super flavorful dairy free options including desserts (though I often just stuck with the sorbet of the day). The menu is vegan, not just vegetarian, thus everything on it is dairy free😊 My husband tried my vegan potato soup the one night and proclaimed it to be creamier and more flavorful than his potato soup. I love vegan food though and try to avoid meat because of some other dietary issues; this may not have worked as well for someone who loves meat. 

I did order a seafood course many nights, as long as there was one that appeared to be low lactose. Our waiter really grasped the difference between lactose intolerance and a dairy allergy so he was not judgemental when I ordered a dish that appeared to be low lactose. He still always asked the kitchen to prepare the dish without any dairy products if it was possible, I expressed my thanks but stressed that it absolutely wasn't necessary. He would smile and tell me that he understood but if they could make a dairy free version then they wanted to do that for me. He knew it was healthier for me. There was only one night that they weren't able to make the dish totally dairy free. They truly went above and beyond! The waiter mentioned that because we ate dinner so early and because the ship was sailing so under capacity that it really wasn't a problem for them but when the ship is full it is much harder for them to make special dishes. I suspect that if you're going to want or need the kitchen to modify dishes for you then you should speak to the head waiter and ask if you need to order your meals ahead of time (i.e. the night before each meal). 

At breakfast time the vegan section of the buffet had dairy free smoothies and pastries. There was always at least one but most often two dairy free desserts in the dessert section of the buffet for lunch and dinner. 

I have never seen a vegan section in the Buffet.  Is this something new? What ship are you on? When was your cruise?

58 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I have never seen a vegan section in the Buffet.  Is this something new? What ship are you on? When was your cruise?

Sky Princess in December.  I believe it was a fairly new thing but the crew seemed confident that the other ships also now had this section (I have wondered if there would really be room for this in the smaller buffets in the Grand class ships???). At least on that sailing,  it was the most aft section of the buffet on the starboard side. The cold section was vegan (mostly smoothies and pastries for breakfast, sandwiches and salads for lunch and dinner). The hot section was labeled as vegetarian but I don't recall seeing a dish there that wasn't actually vegan (for example, the paneer dishes in that section were actually tofu but if you moved to the port section you could find the dish with actual paneer cheese).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, minabruuke said:

Sky Princess in December.  I believe it was a fairly new thing but the crew seemed confident that the other ships also now had this section (I have wondered if there would really be room for this in the smaller buffets in the Grand class ships???). At least on that sailing,  it was the most aft section of the buffet on the starboard side. The cold section was vegan (mostly smoothies and pastries for breakfast, sandwiches and salads for lunch and dinner). The hot section was labeled as vegetarian but I don't recall seeing a dish there that wasn't actually vegan (for example, the paneer dishes in that section were actually tofu but if you moved to the port section you could find the dish with actual paneer cheese).

Thank you!  I would love to find some vegan smoothies and pastries.  Some people really need to be careful assuming that something is vegan because there could be butter or any other dairy product hiding in there… I found out the hard way.

9 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you!  I would love to find some vegan smoothies and pastries.  Some people really need to be careful assuming that something is vegan because there could be butter or any other dairy product hiding in there… I found out the hard way.

So true, pastries are often absolutely loaded with butter! That's definitely a baked good I am careful with. I make them with a vegetable oil based margarine at home but I still use egg so they wouldn't be vegan. I think actual vegans wouldn't assume a baked good is vegan but non-vegans often just don't even think about butter and egg.

The cold vegan station was behind glass and you had to ask for what you wanted. There was always someone standing there to help. I thought this was really wise of Princess. I didn't have to worry about someone picking up a dairy based smoothie from one of the other stations, deciding they didn't want it and placing it back with the dairy free ones. I have seen people put food back before, which is obviously gross, but also would be dangerous in this scenario.  This should also help Princess avoid too much over consumption of these products by people who don't actually need them. I hope they keep these options behind glass! 

I was also very happy with the labeling in the cold vegan station, the smoothie labels listed the milk substitutes which was reassuring.  I still double checked with the staff the first day, I didn't want to take any chances. A milk based smoothie would make me miserable for the rest of the day. Though obviously it would be so much more serious for you. Other items that would have too many ingredients to list, such as the pastries, contained a notation that they contained no animal products. That same no animal product notation was also used on many of the hot dishes in the vegetarian station as well but because they were also labeling those items as vegetarian rather than vegan I felt it necessary to ask about a few of them. Every time I asked and the recipe was checked it turned out that they truly had no animal products. The crew was not bothered at all that I wanted to be sure.

I hope that these stations are truly on all of the ships and stay there and thus you can find some more safe to eat goodies on your next sailing. I know that I was super excited by the stations!  I would be very sad if I didn't find these stations on my next sailing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, minabruuke said:

So true, pastries are often absolutely loaded with butter! That's definitely a baked good I am careful with. I make them with a vegetable oil based margarine at home but I still use egg so they wouldn't be vegan. I think actual vegans wouldn't assume a baked good is vegan but non-vegans often just don't even think about butter and egg.

The cold vegan station was behind glass and you had to ask for what you wanted. There was always someone standing there to help. I thought this was really wise of Princess. I didn't have to worry about someone picking up a dairy based smoothie from one of the other stations, deciding they didn't want it and placing it back with the dairy free ones. I have seen people put food back before, which is obviously gross, but also would be dangerous in this scenario.  This should also help Princess avoid too much over consumption of these products by people who don't actually need them. I hope they keep these options behind glass! 

I was also very happy with the labeling in the cold vegan station, the smoothie labels listed the milk substitutes which was reassuring.  I still double checked with the staff the first day, I didn't want to take any chances. A milk based smoothie would make me miserable for the rest of the day. Though obviously it would be so much more serious for you. Other items that would have too many ingredients to list, such as the pastries, contained a notation that they contained no animal products. That same no animal product notation was also used on many of the hot dishes in the vegetarian station as well but because they were also labeling those items as vegetarian rather than vegan I felt it necessary to ask about a few of them. Every time I asked and the recipe was checked it turned out that they truly had no animal products. The crew was not bothered at all that I wanted to be sure.

I hope that these stations are truly on all of the ships and stay there and thus you can find some more safe to eat goodies on your next sailing. I know that I was super excited by the stations!  I would be very sad if I didn't find these stations on my next sailing. 

Thank you so much for all of this information. I am looking forward to my next cruise and will be on the lookout for vegan items especially pastry and smoothies. I’m not vegan, but as you know, vegan items are safe for those of us with lactose issues or allergies.  Thanks again for this wonderful news.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Thank you so much for all of this information. I am looking forward to my next cruise and will be on the lookout for vegan items especially pastry and smoothies. I’m not vegan, but as you know, vegan items are safe for those of us with lactose issues or allergies.  Thanks again for this wonderful news.

I have looked for vegan foods on menus ever since my diagnosis.  I know I can rely on them being dairy free, even if it’s not exactly what I would like to order (nondairy cheese on a pizza - yuck).  Over time, you learn to ask questions and I always tip servers well when they make a trip to the kitchen to make certain. I’m encouraged by what I read here and feel like I can be happy and full after every meal on the upcoming cruise.

In addition to aged cheeses, I have found I can tolerate butter, although I’ve never tested the limit.

1 hour ago, BamaVol said:

I have looked for vegan foods on menus ever since my diagnosis.  I know I can rely on them being dairy free, even if it’s not exactly what I would like to order (nondairy cheese on a pizza - yuck).  Over time, you learn to ask questions and I always tip servers well when they make a trip to the kitchen to make certain. I’m encouraged by what I read here and feel like I can be happy and full after every meal on the upcoming cruise.

In addition to aged cheeses, I have found I can tolerate butter, although I’ve never tested the limit.

If you go to Alfredos/Gigi’s, they will make a pizza for you without cheese. No, it’s not as good but it’s better than nothing.

You can place an order in the main dining room for the next day. Just let them know that you have allergies/intolerances and they will work with you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, pirate4sail said:

Hi all so I have a problem with cream am ok with butter, yogurt but milk, milk chocolate, ice cream, whipped cream are not my friend.  I would love to hear from those of you who have been accommodated by princess and what they would serve for dinner, dessert with these issues. Anyone have experience? Thanks for your responses much appreciated!

They serve sorbet in the main dining room each night that is dairy free. The flavors change daily. It’s really yummy.

20 hours ago, pirate4sail said:

Look around CC and you may see MDR menus.  I have looked them over and many items, certainly half or more, look safe for me.  I may preplan meals with the staff the night before, or I may order off the menu with a question “is there dairy in this” or “can this be made without dairy”? There are certain foods I almost always avoid like oatmeal or mashed potatoes or scrambled eggs because many kitchens have a tendency to include dairy.  I don’t actually miss any of those things.  I’ve learned to order burgers and sandwiches with “no cheese on that” instructions and always ask for my salads to be served without the cheese.  I know better than to order Alfredo sauce or au gratin potatoes. I don’t eat dessert.  That helps because they're often massive dairy-bombs.  Fresh fruit is my typical dessert. I’m sure you know the drill.  What works on land should work equally well at sea.

Edited by BamaVol

Just now, BamaVol said:

Look around CC and you may see MDR menus.  I have looked them over and many items, certainly half or more, look safe for me.  I may preplan meals with the staff the night before, or I may order off the menu with a question “is there dairy in this” or “can this be made without dairy”? There are certain foods I almost always avoid like oatmeal or mashed potatoes or scrambled eggs because many kitchens have a tendency to include dairy.  I don’t actually miss any of those things.  I’ve learned to order burgers and sandwiches with “no cheese on that” instructions and always ask for my salads to be served without the cheese.  I know better than to order Alfredo sauce or au gratin potatoes. I don’t eat dessert.  That helps because they're often massive dairy-bombs.  I’m sure you know the drill.  What works on land should work equally well at sea.

Just to let you know… Don’t ask if you can make something without dairy the night you are eating. That needs to be done the day before.  They will give you the next days menu and let you place your order.  They will make it specifically for you.  They will even prepare a “surprise me“ dairy, free dessert for you each night.

• Like 2

Wow thanks for all the advice folks someone mentioned allergy for me it’s a milk allergy or something in the milk it’s probably the preservatives. I manage a5 home quite well with lactose free cheese, lactose free butter, lactose free milk and lactose free cream. I’m ok with dark chocolate too! Excited to try sorbet and hope it’s not extra as the seem to have added this on plus packages.

25 minutes ago, pirate4sail said:

Wow thanks for all the advice folks someone mentioned allergy for me it’s a milk allergy or something in the milk it’s probably the preservatives. I manage a5 home quite well with lactose free cheese, lactose free butter, lactose free milk and lactose free cream. I’m ok with dark chocolate too! Excited to try sorbet and hope it’s not extra as the seem to have added this on plus packages.

I’m the person with a milk allergy. Did you send an email to the Princess dietary department?  Let me know if you need the email address. You also need to list it in the medallion application.  When you’re on board go to the main dining room and asked to speak to the maître d’ (I think that’s the title). They will take your order each night for the next day.  You get to choose almost anything you want on the menu and they will make it dairy free.  They will take wonderful care of you. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I’m the person with a milk allergy. Did you send an email to the Princess dietary department?  Let me know if you need the email address. You also need to list it in the medallion application.  When you’re on board go to the main dining room and asked to speak to the maître d’ (I think that’s the title). They will take your order each night for the next day.  You get to choose almost anything you want on the menu and they will make it dairy free.  They will take wonderful care of you. 

That’s is very helpful indeed thank you 🙏 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Can you provide me with the email address? Please and thank you again

21 minutes ago, pirate4sail said:

Can you provide me with the email address? Please and thank you again

Here is the email address.  Click on the photo and open it up all the way to see the entire address.  In your email, list your booking number, ship name, dates of your cruise.  Write the email and let them know what you are allergic to.  They will respond and let you know that it has been added to your booking.

Did you book directly with Princess or a travel agent? They can also, in addition, make sure that it is added to your booking but do send an email.

F3A32D66-5DB1-46EC-96DC-7F083D485C34.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BamaVol said:

If I want to make an iced coffee at the buffet, does anyone know how easily I can obtain non-dairy milk of some sort?  I’m not fussy about which, just don’t want the lactose.

In the CruizePersonalizer click on Checkin

https://book.princess.com/cruisepersonalizer/paxCheckIn.page

Scroll Down and click on 'Dietary Requests'

Supply your email address, etc.

Then click on 'Food Allergy' and Select 'Milk' and in the comment section state you are lactose intolerant and would like lactose free milk. You will get an email back regarding that.

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

In the CruizePersonalizer click on Checkin

https://book.princess.com/cruisepersonalizer/paxCheckIn.page

Scroll Down and click on 'Dietary Requests'

Supply your email address, etc.

Then click on 'Food Allergy' and Select 'Milk' and in the comment section state you are lactose intolerant and would like lactose free milk. You will get an email back regarding that.

I have done that.  I may not have understood, but I thought it only applied to the MDR. Does this info go into my record so that for example, a bartender would make me a White Russian with non-dairy milk without me asking?  I’m sort of expecting that I’m on my own at the bars and buffet.

This topic has been so reassuring for my friend who is severely allergic to diary.  I have convinced her to try her first cruise with us, partly by promising how well she will be able to eat! 

Quick question re embarkation day:  For lunch, what is best practice?  Buffet will be a madhouse, but will dairy free still be easily recognizable?  Or better to try MDR even though they won't have had advance notice yet?  We will be in club class if that makes a difference, but I don't imagine it will for an allergy.  Hubs and I usually prefer MDR lunch on day one, but I am most interested in getting our friend off on the right foot.  

Thank you to everyone who has taken time to share their experiences with this!

• 3 weeks later...

Day 4 on the Caribbean and it has been wonderful. I filled out the dietary restriction form online. There was a note in my cabin day one to give to the maitre d. He walked me through the first nights menu and gives me tomorrow’s menu each night. I can order virtually anything and he prepared it without dairy. And it is hidden in unexpected places so I might have made mistakes without his help. Last night he made salmon with his grandmas recipe for us. It was incredible. He also made a special raspberry cream cake for me even though I didn’t ask for it. His name is Dejan if you ever encounter him, you are in good hands. 

yesterday there was no MDR open for lunch so we went to the buffet. I asked a server about dairy and he brought someone from the kitchen to show me what I could safely eat. 

I would say dietary restrictions are something Princess handles exceptionally well. 

Edited by BamaVol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1