P and O Australia Day Cruises

datone

Wouldn't of thought passengers would have been happy with this ban.   Good that they changed their mind otherwise might have had a revolt on their hands.  You probably wouldn't pay to go on an Australia Day cruise unless you wanted to celebrate the day.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/po-cruise-boss-overturns-ban-on-australian-flag-on-short-cruises/news-story/34e0b1bc5252cabafa0bb5367cdccdf6?fbclid=IwAR20bVNipUKnJmFAubz6w_G-E5Q98-qJUQ82FzXTKA6qbv81WKnJPaCUf3E

The Australia Day cruises are fun, and that ban doesn't make sense. Half the passengers are wearing patriotic clothing, including flag motifs, so doubly strange. The story is behind a paywall, so I am presuming their reasoning of such a ban.

If P&O decides not to market their Australia Day cruise anymore and the ship leaves Sydney for a regular cruise, then they may have the ability to stand on their soap box. As a company, it is ridiculous for them to be apologising for the events of 1788 and marketing Australia Day cruises - hypocrisy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, arxcards said:

7 hours ago, arxcards said:

If P&O decides not to market their Australia Day cruise anymore and the ship leaves Sydney for a regular cruise, then they may have the ability to stand on their soap box. 

A reliable source has informed me that this is indeed the case. No more Australia Day cruises after this year. The woke brigade strikes again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timtam2 said:

A reliable source has informed me that this is indeed the case. No more Australia Day cruises after this year. The woke brigade strikes again.

They are selling one for 2024, and their 2025 itineraries don't extend to Jan 26th

PS: If the events on Sydney Harbour start to diminish with empathy to invasion day, there will be no point in anchoring in the harbour for the sake of it. Till then, party on. I am happy to celebrate Australia Day anywhere in the world.

Edited by arxcards
PS
  • Like 1

Finally, a bit of common sense and a little win against the woke brigade. 

Can't say the same for Kmart though  ☹️                                                                                                           Caught in the Southern Cross-fire P&O Cruises Australia has overturned  a ban on the national flag on its short Australia Day cruises, after the issue was highlighted by New South Wales One Nation MP Mark Latham. The Daily Telegraph has reported that P&O Australia President Marguerite Fitzgerald stepped in to override the decision, which was set to ban both the national flag and the anthem on the upcoming cruises. While an internal memo granted an “Australia Day-themed cake” in food & beverage areas, it also said “no use of the Australia flag is permitted”. The memo stipulated no flags on cakes, no flag face-painting, no flag temporary tattoos, no flag towels, and no buntings. Fitzgerald told the newspaper the directive was “news to her”, and a “misunderstanding”, adding P&O had wanted to ensure everyone had a good time on the cruise and “feels included”. “The Australian, Aboriginal, and Torres Strait Islander flags and the national anthem will be all part of the program,” she said. P&O’s Australia Day cruises will see Pacific Explorer (pictured) call at White Bay on Thu, Pacific Adventure anchored in Sydney Harbour, and Pacific Encounter at Airlie Beach in Queensland, on her way to Indonesia. Australia Day controversy has also engulfed other players, including retailer Kmart, which last week decided not to sell any Australia Day merchandise.

Pathetic attempt at virtue signaling by P&O, i bet if you asked everyone on the ship if they felt offended or left out because of the Australia day celebrations you would have a job just finding a single person with such a view?

It really is a sad world when everything we do or celebrate in this country has radicals pointing fingers and finding fault (on behalf of others) with it, Australia day, Christmas and Easter all have their critics about it causing offence or not being inclusive to some section of society. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, timtam2 said:

Excuse my ignorance what is Woke parade only woke I know is when you woke up.

20 minutes ago, subaru94 said:

Excuse my ignorance what is Woke parade only woke I know is when you woke up.

I found this a while ago -

Only 12 per cent of Australians knew what woke meant and defined the term as "punishing people who don't think the 'right' things on social justice issues".

I see no sense in celebrating Australia Day on Jan 26 as it is celebrating the establishment of a penal colony. A prison.

(The Federation of) Australia became a nation 1 Jan 1901. That should be our national day.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I see no sense in celebrating Australia Day on Jan 26 as it is celebrating the establishment of a penal colony. A prison.

(The Federation of) Australia became a nation 1 Jan 1901. That should be our national day.

Agree lyndarra. By any measure 26th is a divisive issue. I really don't have a problem with changing the date so we can ALL celebrate this great country.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lyndarra said:

Australia Day on Jan 26 as it is celebrating the establishment of a penal colony. A prison.

Small point but im pretty sure James Cook wasn't looking for somewhere to establish a penal colony? that came much later.....

Point of the thread though is how dare P&O tell people they cannot celebrate Australia day by banning flags and singing the national anthem.

What day its on is a whole different debate, but good luck finding one that everyone will agree to????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hammer61 said:

Small point but im pretty sure James Cook wasn't looking for somewhere to establish a penal colony? that came much later.....

You are correct but Cook didn't land on Jan 26, he arrived 23 April 1770.  Jan 26 was the day Phillip landed at Sydney Cove, eight days after landing at Botany Bay.

16 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

You are correct but Cook didn't land on Jan 26, he arrived 23 April 1770.  Jan 26 was the day Phillip landed at Sydney Cove, eight days after landing at Botany Bay.

LOL, my bad, Philip on 26th January, Cook discovered Australia although think the Dutch or French had been here few years before? 26th though is "invasion day" as some of the more radical indigenous Australians like to call it.

BTW, im all for inclusion and having a day that's acceptable to all if so many find the 26th January unacceptable but im just sceptical we cant find one! Even 1st January has some of the anti colonial mob up in arms, not to mention its already a public holiday, so would we lose one or get the 2nd of January off as well?

Edited by Hammer61

3 hours ago, Hammer61 said:

Even 1st January has some of the anti colonial mob up in arms, not to mention its already a public holiday, so would we lose one or get the 2nd of January off as well?

Kiwis already get 2 Jan off as  public holiday,  so who knows ...

8 hours ago, Galesa said:

Agree lyndarra. By any measure 26th is a divisive issue. I really don't have a problem with changing the date so we can ALL celebrate this great country.

Agree. The number of people finding 26th divisive is growing rapidly. I'm all for changing the date to one where all Australians feel proud to celebrate. I for one will not be celebrating in 26th.