Which direction is better? Any ports known for having a Dolphin encounter?

steve4031

2 hours ago, steve4031 said:

I’m considering a Panama Canal in the future. Is one direction better than the other?  Are there any ports known for having a dolphin encounter?

thsnk you. 

I've done multiple full transits in both directions. Choose your cruise based on the cruise line/ship/other ports of call that you like best.  I strongly  recommend that for a first time transit you choose a ship that uses the original locks.

Any of the above criteria are far more important than the direction of the cruise .

There are so many potential ports of call on a Panama Canal cruise that I doubt anyone is going to take the time to research which have a a dolphin encounter other than  someone might recall a port that did from past experience . 

Pick your direction of transit based on the mix of ports that you would like to visit as well as you preferences in travel to the port of embarkation and disembarkation etc.  The Canal is equally rewarding in either direction.  Here is another vote for a transit using the original locks first.

Sorry, can't be of any help on the dolphin encounter.

• Thanks 1

Puerto Vallarta has a dolphin encounter, and is a common stop on Canal cruises, going either way.

I agree with the others, go the direction the cruise that works for you goes. Some will say to consider that you gain time going westbound, but you lost, or will lose that time at some point during the overall trip.

Don't over think these details.

• Thanks 1