Danube water levels 2023 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

The Danube is on the rise again... lots of red dots (level 3). Passau will reach level 3 soon.

But at least here in the South the rain has stopped. North of the Danube river the rain hit even harder (but most of that water is going down the Main river).

steamboats

2 hours ago, steamboats said:

(but most of that water is going down the Main river)

Yes, the middle of Germany has been hit hard, stretching into Lower Saxony and then towards the coast, i.e. the rivers draining the mountain ranges as well as the rain that fell in the coastal regions. The Danube has to take a lot of water but this time as you say the Main is getting a lot of work too. That volume of water contributes to the high levels we will see this time in the Middle Rhine valley,  a couple of weeks ago the Main did not feed the Rhine with such high volumes.

notamermaid

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Yes, the middle of Germany has been hit hard, stretching into Lower Saxony and then towards the coast, i.e. the rivers draining the mountain ranges as well as the rain that fell in the coastal regions. The Danube has to take a lot of water but this time as you say the Main is getting a lot of work too. That volume of water contributes to the high levels we will see this time in the Middle Rhine valley,  a couple of weeks ago the Main did not feed the Rhine with such high volumes.

notamermaid

My friends in Karlstadt am Main have posted pictures, it is very high on the main, so no ships sailing, can't get under bridges.  A poster on the Viking Rollcalls just reported that he is on his 2nd or third ship from Budapest and will transfer to the Viking Ve in Mainz and then get to Amsterdam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my link above to the Austrian authorities' website I see that the situation in Austria has improved and the river is free for traffic again.

Over at Passau the situation has improved, too, but the river is still too high: 705cm.

notamermaid

To something completely different, to get away from river levels for a moment.

Snow globes. Apart from the odd one appearing over centuries, the original modern snow globe with patented design comes from Vienna: https://www.dw.com/en/a-snow-flurry-on-demand-the-viennese-snow-globe/video-60589063

notamermaid

• Like 1

9 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Passau is doing much better. Level now at 654cm. By tomorrow lunchtime sailing should be a lot easier.

notamermaid

This high water should be in the Danube by now. This was the Regen at Cham four days ago - Near the end of the video Regensburg is shown, near where the Regen empties into the Danube. https://www.google.com/search?q=hochwasser+cham&client=firefox-b-1-d&sca_esv=594350961&hl=en&sxsrf=AM9HkKkKOoiJ4t3FBq7htUQ5XfkPUATWHQ:1703821252689&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:w&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi5sJbk3LODAxUuEFkFHSQ7A4gQpwV6BAgCEAk&biw=1739&bih=961&dpr=0.9#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:27fc0c90,vid:ANd2PMsdbIM,st:0

Flooding reported in downtown Budapest including Angelo Rotta quay and right up to the Parliament building based on the great photos with the article. It's in Romanian but you can Google translate or just see the photos in the Galerie for an idea of the extent of the flooding.

https://www.bihon.ro/stiri-internationale/imagini-spectaculoase-cu-dunarea-la-budapesta-apele-fluviului-au-iesit-din-matca-in-centrul-orasului-4485297/

Edited by Izengolf
Typo

Authorities and newspapers have been saying that these levels have been unusual and they certainly have. I had a look at this for the Rhine and posted a graph for Worms. So I wondered how this year, meaning this late autumn and winter ranks on the Danube. I have had a look at annual graphs for Passau and yes this year has been exceptional. If you are disillusioned about Christmas market cruises going as planned do not be. Almost all years have been more favourable over a thirty year period. Sorry, this does of course not help you if you were hit by the weather this year.

With a bit more time I will compile the graphs to prove my statement.

notamermaid

Continued good news from Bavaria. The rivers have discharged their high volumes of water to a great extent by now, the Danube is coping well and the levels continue to fall. Pfelling gauge is at 560cm and Passau gauge is at 622cm.

Good news for the New Year's Eve festive cruises. I hope all can now sail and people have a great time.

notamermaid

56 minutes ago, caviargal said:

On the Danube now and sailed from Passau yesterday.  No issues forecasted this week.

Thank you for saying hello from your cruise. Good to read that all seems to be running smoothly now. At least up to Budapest.

Amadeus, a bit of a more unusual company for North Americans. I reckon your New Year's Eve celebrations will happen in Vienna? Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

More rain has set in again, it is too warm for much snow. We have a weather warning for persistent rain in many parts of Germany, with level 3 in the Bavarian Forest. That area drains into the the Danube between Straubing and Passau. Passau gauge will rise again soon, right now it is still at a pleasant 552cm. Forecast suggests 630cm.

notamermaid

17 hours ago, notamermaid said:

I hope you have had splendid fireworks.

Happy New Year to you! I´m not too much into fireworks... just noise and garbage... I just read that the city of Munich cleaned up 35 tons of fireworks garbage.

Back to the Danube river... yes, it´s raining here too and all counties along the Danube river are on a level 2 high water alert right now.

steamboats

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steamboats said:

I´m not too much into fireworks... just noise and garbage... I just read that the city of Munich cleaned up 35 tons of fireworks garbage.

Granted. A big city creates a lot of noise and a lot of rubbish. A pain in the neck to clean when it is wet. I have collected a bit of rubbish but not too much has made into our yard or street area.

The situation near the Danube is getting worse fast. The Regen is again carrying far more water than normal.

notamermaid

• Thanks 1

A quick look at the Danube. While the Regen and a couple of other rivers are very high, there has not been such a high volume of water coming from the Upper Danube. This means the river is coping better than the Rhine where the tributaries have created a substantial rise in the Middle Rhine valley. Passau gauge is showing 630cm, which is again getting tricky for river cruise ships - granted, few are sailing - but this is not considered real flooding.

notamermaid

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

A quick look at the Danube. While the Regen and a couple of other rivers are very high, there has not been such a high volume of water coming from the Upper Danube. This means the river is coping better than the Rhine where the tributaries have created a substantial rise in the Middle Rhine valley. Passau gauge is showing 630cm, which is again getting tricky for river cruise ships - granted, few are sailing - but this is not considered real flooding.

notamermaid

The Regen drains most of the mountainous Bavarian Forest where it is getting a little colder, so much of the precipitation will stay there as snow for a while - at least above 500 meters or so. That should help limit levels in the Danube upstream of Passau. 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, RDVIK2016 said:

The Regen drains most of the mountainous Bavarian Forest where it is getting a little colder, so much of the precipitation will stay there as snow for a while - at least above 500 meters or so. That should help limit levels in the Danube upstream of Passau. 

Yes, the cold weather will help. I remember Cham and the Bavarian Forest warmly from my youth. I enjoyed a great holiday there. Not an easy area to incorporate into a river cruise pre- or post-extension but for a land trip and those who enjoy small towns and moderate forests and mountains it is a great area to explore. I wonder what the route is of the transfer from Regensburg to Prague, that would be nice to do on the smaller roads.

So, slowly time to close 2023. Things are looking calm for the few river cruise ships now sailing. Recap of December coming up.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Yes, the cold weather will help. I remember Cham and the Bavarian Forest warmly from my youth. I enjoyed a great holiday there. Not an easy area to incorporate into a river cruise pre- or post-extension but for a land trip and those who enjoy small towns and moderate forests and mountains it is a great area to explore. I wonder what the route is of the transfer from Regensburg to Prague, that would be nice to do on the smaller roads.

So, slowly time to close 2023. Things are looking calm for the few river cruise ships now sailing. Recap of December coming up.

notamermaid

notamermaid,

My warm memories from Bavarian Forest started when I served in the US Army and spent three years living in small towns there (smaller than Cham)! I remember the vacationers coming there. My wife and I spent 3 days there after our post-cruise extension in Prague after the cruise ended in Nürnberg. Rather than take the normal Viking-arranged flight home from Prague we and another couple hired a van and driver to take us to Cham where we rented a car and spent time in the area before flying home from Munich. Viking arranged for the change in departure airport and date.  Another time we had Viking make our flight to Munich early and spent 10 days pre-cruise in the Bavarian Forest, Regensburg and Salzburg before boarding the boat in Passau.

A drive from Regensburg to Prague by the usual route would not be real special, maybe from Passau, though, through some of the nicest parts of he national forests on both sides of the border. Many years ago an American magazine for car enthusiasts, Road & Track, rated the road from Bodenmais to Bad Kötzting as one of the most scenic in Germany, but I think the more or less parallel road closer to the Czech border is prettier now.

RDVIK

• Like 1