Summit to Bermuda. What’s it like?

Guest TopoChico

43 minutes ago, JustCruzin77 said:

It will be my first time in Bermuda as well, but I know both the Ferry and Busses are located in the port area. You will need to purchase your bus token or day passes from the Visitor Centre. You can take the bus without a pass but it requires exact change. You can probably purchase your ferry ride at the Visitor Centre as well, or at least ask them where to buy it.

The Ferry is supposed to be the fastest way to get to the other side of the island, as the Bus will be stopping multiple times along the way. I believe you will need to tell the Bus driver where you would like to stop as you get on, otherwise he may not stop if there is no one else to pick up or drop off at that location.

The Visitor Information Centre sells tokens and Transportation Passes which are good on both the bus and ferry.  So on the bus either a token, $5 exact change or a pass. On the ferry that will take a token, a pass or $5 cash. The cash on the ferry can be bills. In the morning there usually has been kiosks either on the cruise ship dock or right of of it that sell tokens and passes.  The ferry to Hamilton takaes 20- 30 minutes and the ferry to St. George 45 minutes. 

If going to Horseshoe Bay there is a steep hill. The buses don't go down it. There are minbuses that shuttle back and forth all day that are $7 per person each way that do go up and down the hill. The minibuses pick ip near the ship and leave when they are filled. Taxis also drop off down the hill and pick up there. A taxi costs about $32 and you cna get them right off the ship.

Personally I prefer a taxi to Horseshoe and other places over the public buses. So I will take a ferry to Hamilton or St. George and then a taxi if I am going beyond Hamilton or St. George. . The buses can be unreliable.and if they are full they will pass right by. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The Visitor Information Centre sells tokens and Transportation Passes which are good on both the bus and ferry.  So on the bus either a token, $5 exact change or a pass. On the ferry that will take a token, a pass or $5 cash. The cash on the ferry can be bills. In the morning there usually has been kiosks either on the cruise ship dock or right of of it that sell tokens and passes.  The ferry to Hamilton takaes 20- 30 minutes and the ferry to St. George 45 minutes. 

If going to Horseshoe Bay there is a steep hill. The buses don't go down it. There are minbuses that shuttle back and forth all day that are $7 per person each way that do go up and down the hill. The minibuses pick ip near the ship and leave when they are filled. Taxis also drop off down the hill and pick up there. A taxi costs about $32 and you cna get them right off the ship.

Personally I prefer a taxi to Horseshoe and other places over the public buses. So I will take a ferry to Hamilton or St. George and then a taxi if I am going beyond Hamilton or St. George. . The buses can be unreliable.and if they are full they will pass right by. 

my father in law wants to go to horseshoe bay but has Parkinson's and walking is hard. so is it best to take the mini buses?

11 minutes ago, stellarose said:

my father in law wants to go to horseshoe bay but has Parkinson's and walking is hard. so is it best to take the mini buses?

It would be best to take a minibus or a taxi.  The hill won't be easyfor him  from the public bus stop. They go down the hill and pick up right at the beach. If you are 3 or 4 going together you should take a private taxi. Minibuses are shared ride and they might have 12-30 in the minibus. A private taxi would only be a few more dollars.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

Bermuda is beautiful.  Fly in and stay.  I have flown in and also cruised.  Cruise is not a guarantee that you will get to Bermuda or will stay for the listed time.  On 2 Summit cruise s, we left early.  Most recent in June, our itinerary was changed cutting our time in Bermuda to one quick stop.  Also, if ship docks at Kings wharf. It is not a convenient location.  

4 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Bermuda is beautiful.  Fly in and stay.  I have flown in and also cruised.  Cruise is not a guarantee that you will get to Bermuda or will stay for the listed time.  On 2 Summit cruise s, we left early.  Most recent in June, our itinerary was changed cutting our time in Bermuda to one quick stop.  Also, if ship docks at Kings wharf. It is not a convenient location.  

Bermuda is the only stop on the Summit in June, so I hope they don't cut it short! 3 days at Kings Wharf.

Edited by JustCruzin77

On 1/25/2023 at 5:32 PM, TopoChico said:

Our kids chipped in and bought and paid for a cruise to Bermuda in June for my husband and my anniversary, and a big birthday milestone for moi.  They gave it to us over the weekend so we could plan.

My husband knew but was afraid to say anything as he knew I was kinda not into the cruise thing right now because of the recent cutbacks… they were so excited. So now I am too. 

What is it like having three days there?  What should we be planning? We’ve been to lots of islands but never Bermuda. Will we be spending the 2 evenings in Bermuda dining off the ship? If so, where?  Should we rent a car for those days? 

You certainly CAN dine off the ship, but it'll probably cost you more. A McDonald's Happy Meal can easily cost $20 or more in Bermuda.

Basically the ship becomes a floating hotel once docked. You can come and go as you please.

Guest TopoChico
8 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Why did they leave early? What did they substitute? 

9 hours ago, Redtravel said:

I agree it would be better to fly and stay but hotels are very expensive and air flights are too. Air flights are also limited. So using the ship as a hotel is a less expensive option. In the old days before big ships we did cruises that did a better itinerary than the Dockyard. Docking at Hamilton and St. George which I prefer over the Dockyard. There are still a few cruises that do Hamilton and St. George’s which I have been doing. Oceania…..

So 16 out of sailings to Bermuda we were cut short 3 times. One day short at the end of 4 days on Zenith. One day short at the end of 3 days on Summit and 1 day short at the beginning of 3 days on Veendam. The Zenith and Summit sailings were still pretty good because the weather was perfect in Bermuda. It was to avoid hurricanes that were in the way but never impacted Bermuda itself. The Veendam sailing was delayed because of a hurricane that passed through New York. So I don’t book September/October sailings any more. 

4 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

You certainly CAN dine off the ship, but it'll probably cost you more. A McDonald's Happy Meal can easily cost $20 or more in Bermuda.

Basically the ship becomes a floating hotel once docked. You can come and go as you please.

There are no McDonalds in Bermuda. It is not allowed. No foreign fast food chains in Bermuda with the exception of a grandfathered in KFC in Hamilton. 

2 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

We are sailing on Summit to Bermuda June 25th so this thread has been very helpful.

I was told by a friend that has been to Bermuda often that it's very, very expensive to dine on the island.

We always eat lunch on the island. Lunch can be reasonable. Dinner on the island  can be expensive. I have tended to avoid that. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TopoChico said:

Why did they leave early? What did they substitute? 

If the ship leaves early most likely there will be a sea day. No other place to go on 7 day Summit..  If there is a hurricane or northeaster then the ship may go to the Bahamas or Canada as substitute.  Depends on storm track. Never happened to me in June but a northeaster is a rare possibility. The other rare possibility in June is delayed arrival because of high winds. The ship channel is narrow and can’t be navigated with high winds. Happens most often December through April. Or in the fall. 

Edited by Charles4515

Guest TopoChico
3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

If the ship leaves early most likely there will be a sea day. No other place to go on 7 day Summit..  If there is a hurricane or northeaster then the ship may go to the Bahamas or Canada as substitute.  Depends on storm track. Never happened to me in June but a northeaster is a rare possibility. The other rare possibility in June is delayed arrival because of high winds. The ship channel is narrow and can’t be navigated with high winds. Happens most often December through April. Or in the fall. 

We are driving distance of Bayonne and in 35 years, I can’t recall any storms during the June week we are sailing.  It’s our 35th anniversary and my birthday week, the weather has always been mostly perfect during this week.  I hope I didn’t jinx it by writing that…

Flying in and staying is always our preference over cruising and it requires a lot of planning.  This trip is a gift and I am really excited for it.

I do recall there being a small transportation vehicle in front of the ship offering free rides to dockyard.  While the walk is easy this service is helpful to those who need to limit walking as well for those trying to avoid the heat or the rain.  It is not always there.  I asked one day about service in the evening and the driver said it depends on who is available to work.  I would not count on it for every hour of the day. I guess Bermuda has employment problems as well as us in the US.

We took a van tour several years ago(5 yrs) and one of the passengers mentioned wanting to try a traditional fish sandwich.  The driver took us to Woody's.  We stop there every year when we are on our Celebrity cruise.  It is right on the road via the local bus and not too far from the dockyard - maybe 15 minute ride.  It is pretty much a local place and you sit outside and enjoy.

The fish sandwich is quite different but quite good. It is on raisin bread which sounds odd but it was good.

If the driver did not stop there for us I would never have ventured there as it looks very local.  But that is why we like it aside from how good the sandwich is.  They also have a bar outside to get drinks(preferable for us a nice beer) on a sunny day to go with lunch.  Have not been there later in the day but I would think the locals might be more in number once work gets out.  It is also across from the ocean and you can sit there as well.

Check it out.

Woody's Bar   1 Boaz Island Somerset Bermuda

30 minutes ago, JustCruzin77 said:

On the subject of food, here are 2 places I would like to try!

Cafe Ole @ Krystal Caves

That would be Crystal Caves. Make sure the grill at John Smith's is open as last fall they were only open Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Maybe they open the rest of the week in the summer. 

This will be our first time on the island. Not sure what to do.  If we do a beach, we want one that is not touristy.  It sounds like John Smiths Bay may fit that need perfectly.

I am additionally, looking to rent water skis perhaps.  

This place is highly rated and the prices don't seem to exorbitant

https://bdawatersports.com/jet-skis/

14 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

This will be our first time on the island. Not sure what to do.  If we do a beach, we want one that is not touristy.  It sounds like John Smiths Bay may fit that need perfectly.

I am additionally, looking to rent water skis perhaps.  

This place is highly rated and the prices don't seem to exorbitant

https://bdawatersports.com/jet-skis/

I have been there and John Smiths Bay is a great non touristy beach. Be aware that there are no chair or umbrella rentals and the facilities are porta potty’s. 

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I have been there and John Smiths Bay is a great non touristy beach. Be aware that there are no chair or umbrella rentals and the facilities are porta potty’s. 

Charles,

Thank you so much for this.

Let me ask...

Do you know of a better beach that is also non-touristy but with more upscale offerings?

I was initially attracted to John Smiths Bay for the food as shown in the video a few posts above. 

34 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

Charles,

Thank you so much for this.

Let me ask...

Do you know of a better beach that is also non-touristy but with more upscale offerings?

I was initially attracted to John Smiths Bay for the food as shown in the video a few posts above. 

The beach grill at John Smith's is a good place to get lunch with a beach view. I don't know why they don't do chair rentals. Seems like they may want to keep the beach local. It is a local favorite. 

Any beach that has rentals and facilities is going to draw tourists. A beach that has a concession, rentals and facilities that draws less tourists is Clearwater Beach. Since it is on the opposite end of Bermuda from the Dockyard so it takes longer to get there. Ferry to St. George's  (45 minutes) and then a taxi (15 minutes) to Clearwater. (there is a bus but it only runs once an hour)

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 3:04 PM, lola2013 said:

We booked a private excursion for our middle, full day…from approximately 9am for 6 hours…through Viator…we were picked up at the ship and stopped at the Crystal Caves (gorgeous), off to Hamilton to wander for awhile and lastly to Horseshoe Beach (also gorgeous).  If you are there on Wednesday, there is a street festival in Hamilton which was fun.

Would you recommend the operator you used?  We are taking an Oceania cruise to Bermuda in September.