What to take to Alaska

KYBOB

4 minutes ago, pierces said:

I recently upgraded my phone to a Pixel 8 Pro, mostly for the camera. I have a well-stocked camera bag, but the quality of the images from the latest generation of high-end phones has become way more than "acceptable" for travel photography. Upgrading to the latest iPhone would provide you with a simple and effective way to get great photos from your trip. The only big gap in depending on a phone for an Alaska trip is the lack of a long zoom for wildlife. The longer zooms on the latest phones are better than before, but still no equal to what is possible with a interchangeable lens camera. Other than that, for scenery, walkabout photos and pictures of the ship, you will not be disappointed.

And of course, if one wants more telephoto reach than what mobile phone cameras offer, there is also option to get one of the superzoom compacts instead of ILC + (big) telephoto lens. There haven't been much development in this segment in recent years, but for example Sony RX10 IV is still quite good all-around camera for someone who doesn't want to haul around heavier camera kit.

• Like 1

Ev r tone talks about the importance of a zoom lens for Alaska cruise but surely one that is slightly wide angle will come in handy for photos of bays with glaciers. ( also I have no dea what filter to use to bring out the blues in the glaciers ).

4 hours ago, David416 said:

Ev r tone talks about the importance of a zoom lens for Alaska cruise but surely one that is slightly wide angle will come in handy for photos of bays with glaciers. ( also I have no dea what filter to use to bring out the blues in the glaciers ).

A polarizing filter would help but is not an absolute necessity. The following were taken with no filter:

image.thumb.png.3c143efbba705e0487bb3f5b3d9fc943.png

image.thumb.png.fc6af3dda9c8c24fd31a7c3314c25cfa.png

image.thumb.png.cd8304555318bc2586ac4bf583a8efb2.png

Dave

3 minutes ago, pierces said:

A polarizing filter would help but is not an absolute necessity. The following were taken with no filter:

image.thumb.png.3c143efbba705e0487bb3f5b3d9fc943.png

image.thumb.png.fc6af3dda9c8c24fd31a7c3314c25cfa.png

image.thumb.png.cd8304555318bc2586ac4bf583a8efb2.png

Dave

Gorgeous. I still might try the polarizing filter. I have had luck with it in other situations before.

18 hours ago, David416 said:

Gorgeous. I still might try the polarizing filter. I have had luck with it in other situations before.

A polarizing filter will be very useful on a sunny day because it will cut down the glare off the water. It even helps when you are not even near the water in cutting down reflections in tree leaves on sunny days. Over cast days could be removed. I tend to always leave a polarizer filter on my lens all the time and have one for each lens I have and use it as the so called "protection" filter where a lot of people use a UV filter for that. The other thing a polarizer filer will do is help bring out reflections in the water for a very dramatic effect. 

Cruise Alaska_2018_08877.jpg

Cruise Alaska_2018_08891.jpg

Cruise Alaska_2018_09157.jpg

Cruise Alaska_2018_11649.jpg

Cruise Alaska_2018_11688.jpg

A polarizing filter is needed when shooting through helicopter, plane, train, and bus windows to cut glare.  I have found that nothing can remove the color bands from photos taken through the heavy glass of the domed train cars.

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

A polarizing filter is needed when shooting through helicopter, plane, train, and bus windows to cut glare.  I have found that nothing can remove the color bands from photos taken through the heavy glass of the domed train cars.

Only use a polarizer if the window is glass. Polycarbonate plastic windows (very common in aircraft and, incidentally, domed train cars) or vehicle windows with UV coating or tint film will cause color banding due to the plastic being itself polarized.

A large rubber hood pressed against the window will eliminate most reflective glare unless you are shooting towards the sun. Dark clothing is a big help. Having your bright Hawaiian shirt reflected in the window could be interesting, but probably not desirable. 😉

Dave

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Booked on Norwegian Encore to Alaska on May 18-25, 2025, with a day in Glacier Bay.  I planning to bring the following bodies:

• Pentax 24MP K-70
  • Pentax 16MP K-50

As for lenses:

• Pentax f/2.8 14mm Prime
  • Pentax f/2.8 16-50mm Wide Zoom
  • Pentax f/2.8 50-135mm Zoom Med Telephoto
  • Pentax f/4.0 60-250mm zoom Telephoto
  • Pentax HD 1.4x AF Rear Extender

Also bringing a lg dry-bag & desiccant for each body/lens, to warm up slowly and absorb excess moisture as they acclimate from outside to inside & vice versa.  Gear wouldn't be complete without my travel tripod and an additional monopod.

And, IMHO these are "game-changer" accessories:

• Peak Design Slide Camera Straps
  • ProMedia Gear L-Brackets
  • Valleret V3 Pro Photographer's Gloves (thumb & forefinger tips fold back for real feel)

Bringing 3x 256GB, 1x 128GB, 2x 64GB & several 32GB for the wife's point & shoot.  Will be downloading sd cards daily onto 2TB portable HD & copy to 5TB SSD.

Should be fun, fingers crossed for good weather.  I've got Frog Togs & rain covers just in case...

Edited by azappraiser
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Crew News,

Next month will be goin on the Brilliance to Alaska, an haven't decided on the tours as yet, but here goes. In Haines, there's a nature & wildlife photo tour, an in Ketchikan there's a photo safari, thats 25% off. Last yr was on the Crown princess, an took the Skagway photo tour, an it just didn't do much for me. Can you help? Have tried emailing you but no luck. Thanks.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hi Crew News,

Next month will be goin on the Brilliance to Alaska, an haven't decided on the tours as yet, but here goes. In Haines, there's a nature & wildlife photo tour, an in Ketchikan there's a photo safari, thats 25% off. Last yr was on the Crown princess, an took the Skagway photo tour, an it just didn't do much for me. Can you help? Have tried emailing you but no luck. Thanks.

Give my website Contact Form another try (links in my signature).

I will be in Alaska late this month and then two additional weeks in May.

My opinions are based on my desire to capture wildlife/scenery with my camera and not necessarily cultural stimulation.  As for photo excursions, I have tried two photo excursions in my many cruises.  Both were committed to "rookie" camera users learning to set the dials on their cameras.  The one plus for my Skagway photo excursion was spotting ptarmigans in the bushes while others were learning how to attach cameras to tripods.

I have not been to the Haines Wildlife Center but the other excursions have not been fulfilling to me.  The Skagway train to Lake Bennett is one notch behind dogsledding in the snow for photos.

Tracy Arm is my favorite Juneau excursion with amazing photo ops followed by whale watching.

Ketchikan will always have Bering Sea Crab Fishing at the top of my excursion list because of the eagle feeding photo ops.  Another favorite is the Silverking Lodge for eagle feeding, whales, sea lions, Sitka deer, and great seafood feast.

For Sitka, any boat excursion to capture wildlife is on my photo list.

Let me know if you have other ports on your cruise that I have not addressed.

Edited by Crew News

Ok, an on the Bearing Sea Crab Fishing, what month is a good time to go for the eagle feeding photo ops? Went last Sept, an saw two eagles, the guys on the boat said, they were somewhere else at that time. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Ok, an on the Bearing Sea Crab Fishing, what month is a good time to go for the eagle feeding photo ops? Went last Sept, an saw two eagles, the guys on the boat said, they were somewhere else at that time. Thanks.

In July and September during salmon runs, the eagles are not very hungry.  May and June are my favorite eagle feeding month excursions.  Remember my tip of sitting above the life preserver on the Aleutian Ballad for great eagle photos next month.

On 3/9/2024 at 10:11 AM, azappraiser said:

Booked on Norwegian Encore to Alaska on May 18-25, 2025, with a day in Glacier Bay.  I planning to bring the following bodies:

• Pentax 24MP K-70
  • Pentax 16MP K-50

As for lenses:

• Pentax f/2.8 14mm Prime
  • Pentax f/2.8 16-50mm Wide Zoom
  • Pentax f/2.8 50-135mm Zoom Med Telephoto
  • Pentax f/4.0 60-250mm zoom Telephoto
  • Pentax HD 1.4x AF Rear Extender

Also bringing a lg dry-bag & desiccant for each body/lens, to warm up slowly and absorb excess moisture as they acclimate from outside to inside & vice versa.  Gear wouldn't be complete without my travel tripod and an additional monopod.

And, IMHO these are "game-changer" accessories:

• Peak Design Slide Camera Straps
  • ProMedia Gear L-Brackets
  • Valleret V3 Pro Photographer's Gloves (thumb & forefinger tips fold back for real feel)

Bringing 3x 256GB, 1x 128GB, 2x 64GB & several 32GB for the wife's point & shoot.  Will be downloading sd cards daily onto 2TB portable HD & copy to 5TB SSD.

Should be fun, fingers crossed for good weather.  I've got Frog Togs & rain covers just in case...

Just my opinion and I am into photography but it seems to me that you are a bit over doing things.  My idea of traveling in scenic areas is to see things and experience the areas and not to see everything from behind the camera viewfinder.

DON

• Like 1