What to take to Alaska

KYBOB

Leave your monopod in your stateroom for the following two types of excursions.

As a many-time photographer on the Skagway train, the only non-glare photos from the train are taken from the platforms between the cars.  With several passengers competing for the same few feet, a monopod will prevent you from leaning over the railings to hold your camera above or below competing cameras.  The platform ride is jerky and you need to lean over the railing to predict openings in the upcoming trees that are so near to the track before hitting the focus button of your camera.

On whale watching excursions, passengers will surge from their seats inside the boat to the outside deck to see any spotted whales.  You will have to position your camera to avoid the other cameras suddenly thrust in front of yours.  An articulating focus screen will be a great help. If the boat is small, rolling from side to side in the waves will make a monopod useless.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, eileeshb said:

It sounds like I need to get my hands on at least one polarising filter…. 
I’ve not used any filters other than the UV or O-haze variety so if anyone has suggestions on a type that would work for potentially spotting the whales underwater I’d greatly appreciate it. 

I settled on a B+W circular polarizer a few years ago. When I was shopping for one, they had a bunch of variations. I settled on one with:

High transmission (HTC, lets the most amount of light through) 

Nano coating (minimizes reflections between lens and filter, helps keep dirt/oil from sticking) 

Extra slim (XS, low profile so as not to make hood stick out much further, therefor reducing or eliminating vignetting on wide-angle lenses) 

Lensrentals did interesting (though overly technical) comparisons on a range of filters which helped steer my decision. It might be worth seeing if they've done a more recent batch as brand quality and value may have changed over the years. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Crew News said:

Leave your monopod in your stateroom for the following two types of excursions.

As a many-time photographer on the Skagway train, the only non-glare photos from the train are taken from the platforms between the cars.  With several passengers competing for the same few feet, a monopod will prevent you from leaning over the railings to hold your camera above or below competing cameras.  The platform ride is jerky and you need to lean over the railing to predict openings in the upcoming trees that are so near to the track before hitting the focus button of your camera.

On whale watching excursions, passengers will surge from their seats inside the boat to the outside deck to see any spotted whales.  You will have to position your camera to avoid the other cameras suddenly thrust in front of yours.  An articulating focus screen will be a great help. If the boat is small, rolling from side to side in the waves will make a monopod useless.

Sounds like I need to do some weight training to allow the ditching of the monopod for the long lens. I’m intending to do a dolphin watching boat trip locally sometime this summer as an almost dress rehearsal for using the camera on the whale watching in Alaska. 

15 minutes ago, eileeshb said:

Sounds like I need to do some weight training to allow the ditching of the monopod for the long lens. I’m intending to do a dolphin watching boat trip locally sometime this summer as an almost dress rehearsal for using the camera on the whale watching in Alaska. 

You will see no wildlife (perhaps an eagle overhead) from the train, just amazing scenery.  Lots of blurry trees, heads of other photographers, backs of other cameras, and some strong train car jerks will impact your photos.  Numerous photo bursts will give you some really good scenery "keepers" and lots of "discards."

In my experience, Alaska whale watching boats come in three passenger sizes:  6-20, 21-50, and more than 100.  Smaller craft react more violently to wave action but have much less competition for shooting space. 

The large boats (Allen Marine) have real bathrooms, snack bars, tables, more stable shooting platforms, provided binoculars, and lots of competition for shooting space.  Passengers on the large boats tend to stay inside and then surge outside when someone spots a whale.  If you and your camera gear can tolerate the weather, staying outside at the railing for the duration of the excursion would avoid the surge and give you clear shots at least 50% of the time.  When the boat turns, as they always do, you will find yourself at the back of the surge facing a wall of cameras and tablets held high over their owner's heads.  When the boat turns again, you will have your railing spot back for clear shots.

One of my favorite photos was captured at my railing spot when an Orca suddenly surfaced right beside the boat and filled my viewing screen.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/orcas/juneau-2009-westerdam-alaska-060-2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree a mono pod would useless on both excursions. The best bet is practice hand holding shooting manual, setting the shutter speed and f stop the setting you ISO to auto ISO. This will allow you to control the camera stopping motion ( boat and the whale ) and what is focus. The camera will then adjust the iso to the correct exposure by adjusting the ISO. 

below is my favorite shot of a whale from a small boat 6-15 people which allows you closer shots to the water where you can blur out the back ground slightly to make the whale in sharper focus. This shot was with a 70-200 f2.8 w1.4 teleconverter. 1/2000 sec, f8, iso 800, 280mm. 

The others are out the window of the train, used circular polarizer and lens hood. Shutter speed was from 1/2000 to 1/2500 sec. 24-70/2.8. I was sitting right behind the stove / heater in the car. 

1B8A9110-DFE7-4EF1-B391-58BEB276A1B4.jpeg

15B45746-0D7F-4A79-A706-FA31E28DB883.jpeg

19460CA9-8E06-4D5B-B4ED-2F562326A766.jpeg

B0F13506-134F-44F0-967E-D4012EF1B223.jpeg

57B8A5CD-E0AF-4124-BA70-FBC26090A229.jpeg

• Like 2

For my Alaska trip in June, I'm planning on taking my R5, RF 100-400, RF24-240 and maybe my RF 16mm.  Leaving my 150-600 Tamron at home.  I reserve the right to change my mind.   🙂

Don't forget binoculars.  Essential in Alaska for spotting distant whales and other wildlife.

This may be a stupid question but if you have or got a camera with tons of megapixels couldn't you zoom in by cropping instead of always switching lenses and the  missing pictures while you are changing lenses. Also you will be sharing spaces on tours w other people and where are you going to put your big camera bag and your stuff while you are changing lenses.

There is another way to do good photography in AK.  Take a photography tour.  They are expensive but there will be on 6 - 10 photographers on the tour and the trip leader will know exactly where to go for good photos.  A 2nd way and I have done both approaches is to go by yourself on a trip just to take photos.  One of my trips was a 1 week guided trip to Haines just to do eagle photography.  Another was a almost 2 week DIY trip to Fairbanks and points north to do aurora photography.  Both trips were pricy but were also successful.

My point is that if photography is so important that you are planning to take all the stuff that you are planning to take a cruise is not the way to go.

DON

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well fate has decided for me! With 120 days until the first leg of the AAA tour I am calling it. (Alaska, Australia and last Africa. I fell last Tuesday and broke my left elbow, like snapped it in two. I go Monday for surgery to have a plate installed to reconnect it. So I have 4 months to be able to hold a camera so…looks like the 100-400 will be the one to go this trip. Even it may get sidelined for the 70-200 f2.8 Sonys new version ii is super light and the lightest 70-200 I have ever used. I still have a Nikon Z7ii and a Z24-200 lens that would be super light if I am not back up to strength by then. 

18 hours ago, KYBOB said:

Well fate has decided for me! With 120 days until the first leg of the AAA tour I am calling it. (Alaska, Australia and last Africa. I fell last Tuesday and broke my left elbow, like snapped it in two. I go Monday for surgery to have a plate installed to reconnect it. So I have 4 months to be able to hold a camera so…looks like the 100-400 will be the one to go this trip. Even it may get sidelined for the 70-200 f2.8 Sonys new version ii is super light and the lightest 70-200 I have ever used. I still have a Nikon Z7ii and a Z24-200 lens that would be super light if I am not back up to strength by then. 

Ouch, I can sort relate with this, some years ago in mid-May I fell on bike and fractured my upper arm, survived without surgery, but sadly had to cancel a trip to Iceland that would been in early June. The arm started to feel normal only couple months later.

If lifting heavy camera+lens combinations continues to be a problem when you travel, I suggest to seriously take a look at getting Sony RX10 IV. The feeling of the controls and EVF might be tad inferior compared to your ILCs and the smaller sensor might be less suitable for low light situations, but that camera packs a versatile lens (field of view comparable to 24-600 mm in full frame terms) and very respectable AF in reasonably small and light compact form.

I would echo the comment on the Sony RX10 mIV. Due to my shoulder issues, I am leaving my full-frame Sony gear behind and taking the RX10 mIV along with my Sony APS-C 6400 and a couple of lenses on our Alaskan cruise this time. And I’m sorry about your elbow injury. I hope it heals quickly.

Edited by byargertx

On 4/13/2023 at 6:05 PM, donaldsc said:

This may be a stupid question but if you have or got a camera with tons of megapixels couldn't you zoom in by cropping instead of always switching lenses and the  missing pictures while you are changing lenses. Also you will be sharing spaces on tours w other people and where are you going to put your big camera bag and your stuff while you are changing lenses.

There is another way to do good photography in AK.  Take a photography tour.  They are expensive but there will be on 6 - 10 photographers on the tour and the trip leader will know exactly where to go for good photos.  A 2nd way and I have done both approaches is to go by yourself on a trip just to take photos.  One of my trips was a 1 week guided trip to Haines just to do eagle photography.  Another was a almost 2 week DIY trip to Fairbanks and points north to do aurora photography.  Both trips were pricy but were also successful.

My point is that if photography is so important that you are planning to take all the stuff that you are planning to take a cruise is not the way to go.

DON

I was originally hoping to do the Gastineau guiding whale watching photo safari but unfortunately because my sailing will be in October they don’t offer that tour as the daylight hours are too short,

BTW there is absolutely no way I would be changing lenses while on an excursion. If I decide it’s worth it I’d have 2 camera bodies with 2 very different lenses and my phone as a backup. 
I would never advocate changing lenses while on a boat or an external platform on a train, regardless of inconveniencing other around me , there’s just far too much risk of dropping something. 
I’m reasonably sure I’ll stick with a single camera with long lens and my phone for wide angle stuff. 

On 4/25/2023 at 1:03 PM, eileeshb said:

I was originally hoping to do the Gastineau guiding whale watching photo safari but unfortunately because my sailing will be in October they don’t offer that tour as the daylight hours are too short,

BTW there is absolutely no way I would be changing lenses while on an excursion. If I decide it’s worth it I’d have 2 camera bodies with 2 very different lenses and my phone as a backup. 
I would never advocate changing lenses while on a boat or an external platform on a train, regardless of inconveniencing other around me , there’s just far too much risk of dropping something. 
I’m reasonably sure I’ll stick with a single camera with long lens and my phone for wide angle stuff. 

I second this I never change lens on an excursion or for that matter once I am out side my cabin. I will take the lens that I think I will need; typically 24-70/f2.8 on one body and either the 70-200 or 100-400 on the other. For the whale watch I will probably take the 70-200 on the slower frame per second camera and then on the fast on put the 100-400 with more than likely the 1.4x teleconverter and what softness I loose regain with Topaz AI Sharpen. I would rather have the 200-600 but that lens now with the arm not going to be a choice. I just hope I can even do the 100-400. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Crew News, will be goin to Alaska in Sept, an will be takin the Aleutian Ballard tour, my question is, got a Kodak pixpro fz151 digital camera, what scene should I use when filming the eagles? The scenes are landscape, sport, beach, or use video, also what scene to use for the entire cruise. Got to thinkin today about what scene to use, an thought you would know. Thanks.

On 5/10/2023 at 3:30 PM, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey Crew News, will be goin to Alaska in Sept, an will be takin the Aleutian Ballard tour, my question is, got a Kodak pixpro fz151 digital camera, what scene should I use when filming the eagles? The scenes are landscape, sport, beach, or use video, also what scene to use for the entire cruise. Got to thinkin today about what scene to use, an thought you would know. Thanks.

I will be on my 5th Aleutian Ballad excursion next week and it might be the highlight of your cruise. 

Definitely choose sport mode for the fast shutter speed. 

Cameras are similar to hiking shoes as you would never use/wear them without breaking them in first.  I strongly recommend you practice shooting moving things about 300 feet away like bicycles, cars, basketball games as they have about the same speed as eagles fly.  Follow the moving object with the camera to get in focus and take the photo(s).  Try not to use the zoom or you might lose the object you are tracking for the photo.  You can always zoom the photo after you have the image in the camera. 

Make the following settings to Sport Mode of your camera:

• Set metering mode to Center so the camera will focus on the area in the middle of the lens and not a tiny point that could miss a moving object.
  • Change to Continuous Shot so the camera will keep taking photos as you follow the eagles in flight. and keep the shutter button depressed.  You will trash a lot of pics but will get some really good ones.  If you use Single Shot, it is all or nothing with a single press of the shutter button.

TIP:  If you sit in the bleachers, you may not see the eagles that fly below the deck railings.  Above the life preserver is perfect for photos of everything:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ketchikan-crab-fishing/P5236052-2-Edit.jpg

5 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

That tour must be pretty good, since its your 5th time on it, wow!! Thanks for the information, an do try to enjoy your cruise!!! Just jokin, my friend. Oh, what ship will you be on? Will be on the Crown princess.

Nieuw Amsterdam.  I love photographing eagles and hearing the stories about filming "Deadliest Catch" are fascinating. 

I look forward to hearing about your camera practice and some shots from your excursion.

FWIW by shooting continuous pictures I discovered that 8th grade basketball players have their eyes closed quite often.

Hey Crew news, got one more ? for you. The Ballard tour doesn't end til 1, and the crown doesn't leave til 5. Would I have time to hit the most popular sites there, usin the visitor's map, startin with the eagle park, there on the docks of 1 & 2, run down the st to see where all the places are, then over to creek st, wander around there, up the funicular an out the front door of the hotel, an wander where the paths will lead. Don't plan on seein the sights that are the city park, the totem center, & etc. Had also been thinkin, that whatever time the ship allows one to get off that morning, say 7:30 or so, can run over to see some sights there, before the tour starts, believe the tour starts at 9:45, but I could be wrong, an have been known to be wrong before. Then still make it back to the ship before it leaves. Oh have been on the Nieuw Amsterdam, to Alaska, the cruise was great, but didn't care for the ship or food. As you can see I'm a rcl or princess member. Gonna start practicin with the camera, got squirrels & birds around the bird feeder, so could start with them.

9 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey Crew news, got one more ? for you. The Ballard tour doesn't end til 1, and the crown doesn't leave til 5. Would I have time to hit the most popular sites there, usin the visitor's map, startin with the eagle park, there on the docks of 1 & 2, run down the st to see where all the places are, then over to creek st, wander around there, up the funicular an out the front door of the hotel, an wander where the paths will lead. Don't plan on seein the sights that are the city park, the totem center, & etc. Had also been thinkin, that whatever time the ship allows one to get off that morning, say 7:30 or so, can run over to see some sights there, before the tour starts, believe the tour starts at 9:45, but I could be wrong, an have been known to be wrong before. Then still make it back to the ship before it leaves. Oh have been on the Nieuw Amsterdam, to Alaska, the cruise was great, but didn't care for the ship or food. As you can see I'm a rcl or princess member. Gonna start practicin with the camera, got squirrels & birds around the bird feeder, so could start with them.

Not sure about the funicular but totem park and creek street are possible.  Maybe a four-hour rental car with friends?

Practice needs to be with moving things.

11 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hey Crew News, went out and practiced with the camera today, & bingo!!! Sports scene & continuous shots worked, shot at some cars goin by. Thanks.😁

And will the sports scene work for when the ship is at Hubbard glacier, or use landscape?

17 hours ago, gottagoacruzn said:

And will the sports scene work for when the ship is at Hubbard glacier, or use landscape?

Glad to hear practice is going well.  Shooting in continuous bursts gives you choices as you try to stop moving objects.  The better you are able to match the moving camera with the speed of your moving target, the greater your results.

Back to Landscape Mode for Hubbard Glacier and single shot (not continuous unless you want to catch a possible calving in progress).  FWIW I use continuous shots on every photograph so that I have choices.  Continuous shots also overcome portraits with someone blinking making the result seem like they are asleep.  With continuous shots, you can just select a photo just before or after the blink.  You will have to change any mode to continuous mode as they are setup for single button press photos.

Cameras that take JPG photos (yours) have built-in adjustments for each scene mode to provide the best results. 

Practice makes perfect.

23 minutes ago, gottagoacruzn said:

Hi thinks, now one more question, an I'll get out of your hair. Been thinkin bout takin the Skagway focus photo tour, an for that tour, what scene, like a waterfall & etc? You have been a big help!!!!!

Helping photographers and CC members are both enjoyable pursuits.  Experience is a good teacher and I welcome developing more teachers. 

I cannot recommend that tour after taking it a few years ago.  The 12 people on the tour learned how to blur moving water, photographed a ptarmigan nest, and a valley.  There is so much more to photograph in Skagway. 

Tops in Skagway is dog sledding in the snow with the second being taking photos on the train to Lake Bennett second.  The incredible landscapes are breathtaking when taken from the platforms between the train cars (pictures through the train windows can be very distorted and filled with glare).  Lake Bennett is smooth and the surrounding hills are mirrored in the water.  Since the train is moving and the landscape is not, your Sport Mode with continuous shooting is my recommendation.  This excursion is in a private train car with few people and a nice lunch is served.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/lake-bennett/P6060119-Edit.jpg

• Like 1