Neptune-cabin category and location

oceandream

15 hours ago, oceandream said:

Hi to all experienced cruisers. What would you consider in choosing a good category and cabin location and decks. Any specific cabins for recommandations?

Wow, a detailed answer to this question, without knowing your preferences, could fill an entire novel, so here is the Cole's Notes version.

- My primary preference is to have other cabins on both sides, and above/below to increase the potential for a quiet cabin.

- Since DW is subjected to motion of the ocean, we look for a midships cabin on a lower deck. Deck 4 meets both these objectives, with the midships cabins being DV4's above the lifeboats. Have spent 80 days in one of those cabins and provided the Deck Dept know how to correctly stow boats, we never heard any noise, except when preparing the boats for tendering and the small electric accumulator pump running occasionally.

- On many cruise lines they suggest not to book cabins by the lifts, laundry, etc. Many on this board have indicated no noise issues. We were close to the laundry and had no noise issues from the alleyway.

- Dk 5 cabin also meet the requirements of the 1st two points, but are a little higher, so a little more movement

- The fwd suites are significantly larger, but have no fwd accessible balcony, can be affected by thruster vibration during docking and anchor noise in heavy weather and anchoring operations. Spent 3 weeks in a fwd suite and it had way more noise and movement than our DV4.

- Aft suites also have the potential for thruster and main prop rumble/vibration, but do have great aft facing views.

- Dk 8 cabins have more movement and the potential for noise from the sports deck above.

- Dk 6 cabins have potential from noise on the open decks/World Cafe above

- Dk 3 cabins above the Star Theatre and Torshavn have the potential for noise from performances.

- If opting for a PV, you may have a preference for a slider or hinged door to the balcony. A spreadsheet is posted on another thread showing door assignments by cabin number.

- Bed direction - some cabins have the bed on the fwd bulkhead, others the aft bulkhead. If this is an issue you can ask the question for a specific cabin.

• Like 1

We have only been on one VOC, but we really liked our PS2 (#7006) on the Jupiter. Lots of room with plenty of storage space and a sizeable and comfortable bathroom. It is situated half-way between the forward elevators and the Explorers Lounge. It's on the same deck as Mamsen's, Wintergarden, Pool Grill, and World Cafe. Access to free laundry services was fine for me and allowed me to pack minimally for this cruise (especially useful if you are traveling with Captain Overpack). We have the same cabin next year on the Venus.

• Like 1

As mentioned by Andy, this is a very open ended question with no guidelines.  We do not get seasick, nor do we have a preference for bed direction or whether we have a slider or door to the balcony.  This gives us a lot of options as to where we prefer to stay.  I like being on deck 5.  We are port side on the WC and the advantage is we are a straight shot to the laundry room.  I miss getting up and watching port activity on the starboard side though.  
Our sweet spot seems to be a PV room.  We started in the smaller room but appreciate the space vs price difference.  I think larger isn’t likely going to happen for us unless it’s given to us.  

Personally, I prefer the aft end of the ship as there is a bit less traffic.  The only people passing are those going to cabins.  
It all comes down to your preferences and price you are willing to pay.  Our criteria may not be acceptable to someone who has 3x our budget…..or half.