Question About Future Booking

KennyFla

We booked an inside YC cabin for Jan 2024 a couple of weeks ago, and paid the deposit.  Checking this morning, for the same booking they offer a $50 onboard credit, I think per person.  Is there a way to get this credit, should I cancel and re-book?  Thanks

7 hours ago, KennyFla said:

We booked an inside YC cabin for Jan 2024 a couple of weeks ago, and paid the deposit.  Checking this morning, for the same booking they offer a $50 onboard credit, I think per person.  Is there a way to get this credit, should I cancel and re-book?  Thanks

Yes, it's funny that you said that, we also booked a YC cabin for Jan 2024 just this morning, our TA told us we can cancel and rebook (unlimited) if in YC, so if I were you, I would cancel and rebook. He told me about the OBC and we scooped that up. You could also have your TA try and get the OBC without rebooking, but the option is there.

As far as I know YC deposits are not refundable so you would lose more by cancelling. 

I have had good luck in the past getting things like this added to an existing reservation by calling MSC.
Especially before final payment is made. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, it's funny that you said that, we also booked a YC cabin for Jan 2024 just this morning, our TA told us we can cancel and rebook (unlimited) if in YC, so if I were you, I would cancel and rebook. He told me about the OBC and we scooped that up. You could also have your TA try and get the OBC without rebooking, but the option is there.

Your TA isn’t aware that your deposit is non refundable if you cancel. Here is the chart showing what the penalties are. You may want to send this to him/her 

1421F02C-C0B9-4C48-8711-20FF94D0C203.jpeg.dd7a5cade1d5b39c92e710b771b2fcda.jpegp

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, styles27 said:

Your TA isn’t aware that your deposit is non refundable if you cancel. Here is the chart showing what the penalties are. You may want to send this to him/her 

1421F02C-C0B9-4C48-8711-20FF94D0C203.jpeg.dd7a5cade1d5b39c92e710b771b2fcda.jpegp

Hi, thanks a lot for this. There are various asterisks all over the place but since it's a screenshot I can't scroll down and see what they refer to. Do you know? Edit:  there's a difference between a straight-up cancel and a rebook. According to my TA, we can change to a different cruise without losing the $99 deposit, so if we decided to change our minds and go on a different cruise, there's no money lost. I don't know if this would work if we "changed" to the same cruise in order to have the OBC applied.

Edited by DCGuy64
added extra info

4 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Hi, thanks a lot for this. There are various asterisks all over the place but since it's a screenshot I can't scroll down and see what they refer to. Do you know? Edit:  there's a difference between a straight-up cancel and a rebook. According to my TA, we can change to a different cruise without losing the $99 deposit, so if we decided to change our minds and go on a different cruise, there's no money lost. I don't know if this would work if we "changed" to the same cruise in order to have the OBC applied.

I can verify what styles27 has posted.

MSC YC deposit is non refundable unless MSC changes or cancels your cruise. 
Cancel and rebook unlimited in YC is not MSC policy.
You can make 1 change to your YC booking without penalty.  
I also second styles27 recommendation to ask TA to have MSC add OBC to your booking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KennyFla said:

Call MSC , if you did booking direct, and ask for $50pp to added to your booking.

Cancel will result in forfeit of deposit.

Ask for CRUISE AND ONBOARD CREDIT

Edited by phissy
  • Like 2

Effective Date: January 26, 2023 
Expiration Date: January 31, 2023 

Terms & Conditions:

• Rates are per person based on double occupancy and quoted in USD. 
  • The lead rate of $129 is for Category IB on select 3-night cruises on MSC Meraviglia. 
  • Offer is valid for U.S. residents only and on new bookings only.
  • Subject to availability while supplies last. 
  • Government fees, taxes and port charges are additional for each guest. 
  • Offer is capacity-controlled, subject to availability, and can be withdrawn at any time without prior notice.
  • Offer is not applicable to group bookings and cannot be combined with any other promotion. 
  • One (1) of the following discounts may be applied as applicable per stateroom: MSC Voyagers Exclusives; Healthcare Workers; Civil Service; Military; Interline. 
  • MSC Cruises reserves the right to pass on any fuel surcharge without prior notice to all guests and refuse to honor any prices/sailings that are erroneously printed or quoted
  • Cruise deposit: 0-4 nights: $99 per adult (max $198 per stateroom); 5-14 nights: $199 per adult (max $398 per stateroom)
  • Kids 17 and under sail free on select sailings as 3rd/4th guests (excluding Government fees and taxes, and Minors Drink package), MSC Yacht Club staterooms excluded, subject to availability
  • Onboard Credit: 
    o 2-4 nights – $25 per stateroom on Inside, Oceanview and Balcony; $50 per stateroom on Suites & MSC Yacht Club. 
    o 5-9 nights  – $50 per stateroom on Inside, Oceanview and Balcony; $100 per stateroom on Suites & MSC Yacht Club. 
    o 10 nights & longer – $100 per stateroom on Inside, Oceanview and  Balcony; $200 per stateroom on Suites & MSC Yacht Club. 
  • Onboard Credit can be used onboard the ship and on our exclusive private island, Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve. Onboard credit is nonrefundable, 
  • nontransferable, and cannot be redeemed for cash. Other restrictions may apply. 
  • Subject to change.
  • Ships’ registry: Panama and Malta.

Ask for “CRUISE AND ONBOARD CREDIT” promotion when booking

• Like 1

11 hours ago, phissy said:

I can verify what styles27 has posted.

MSC YC deposit is non refundable unless MSC changes or cancels your cruise. 
Cancel and rebook unlimited in YC is not MSC policy.
You can make 1 change to your YC booking without penalty.  
I also second styles27 recommendation to ask TA to have MSC add OBC to your booking.

Even 1 free change is nice, although to be honest, we've only ever canceled 1 cruise in 20 years of sailing, every other time a cruise was cancelled, it was the cruise line who did the canceling. Also, unless I'm mistaken, we'd only be forfeiting a rather paltry $99 deposit (assuming it's before final payment). There are some who pay most or all of their cruise fares upfront, but we never do. We only pay the deposit and wait until the last minute to pay the balance. Thanks for the clarifications, everyone!

• Like 1

I called twice and talked to 2 different reps.  One had no clue, the other seemed to be knowledgeable.  The second rep said that since i made the reservation myself online that he could not do anything to it.  He said I should have made the reservation through my "personal cruise concierge" over the phone.

Anyway he implied we were SOL.