New smoking law in Mexico

joern

Hi
This question is for smokers only, so please don’t make it into an anti smoking thread 🙏🏻
Has anyone been to Mexico after the new smoking law were implemented? How strict are they? Is it absolutely no smoking while ashore or are there places you can go for a smoke?
Thanks

We live in Puerto Vallarta and have yet to notice any noticeable changes.  On another blog it has been reported that at least one popular restaurant has banned smoking at their outdoor tables which are located right on the sandy beach.  At other places nothing has changed.

As a non-smoker, I will be curious to see if there is any enforcement of the law where it prohibits smoking on public beaches (I believe all beaches in Mexico are technically public).  The other part of the law that may have a major impact is the section that prohibits smoking at outdoor areas where food/drink are served (current rules already prohibit indoor smoking at bars/restaurants.  In theory it could eventually become similar to parts of Europe where you see diners leaving restaurants, between courses, to run outside to a designated smoking area and have a smoke.  

Hank

9 hours ago, joern said:
Hi
This question is for smokers only, so please don’t make it into an anti smoking thread 🙏🏻
Has anyone been to Mexico after the new smoking law were implemented? How strict are they? Is it absolutely no smoking while ashore or are there places you can go for a smoke?
Thanks

That law went into effect as of January 15, 2023. We just returned from a Mexican Riviera cruise Jan 20th-27th. We actually saw no one smoking anywhere at the ports we stopped at so I can't comment on how it was enforced but it sure was posted in our Cruise Compass with a warning.

• 3 weeks later...

We just did a weekend cruise to Ensanada.  We walked around town for just a bit and noticed No Smoking signs all over the place. I didn't see anyone smoking so unsure how strictly enforced it is. I am going to guess, it will be strictly enforced because it's easy money for them.  

Just back from Progreso/Cozumel.  In Progreso it was being pretty universally ignored by locals and tourists alike, but locals I saw smoking the most.  In Cozumel there was a smoking area at Nachi Cocum, but after I was pretty much totally off by myself later in the day, no one said a thing about my vaping.  That said, I'd be careful about it.  Sounds like an excellent way for a Mexican Police officer to shake you down for some money.

Edited by DenaInWyo
  • Like 1