What is the status of Skagway for 2023 season?

Panhandle Couple

Just a quick update.

I looked at the Skagway News on line this weekend, and no mention of Railroad Dock status.

Ā 

The town of Skagway did take over the port following the end of the 55 yr lease to the railroad company on 18 March.Ā  So one less organization involved going forward.Ā  It appears that the town will run the Railroad dock and Broadway docks themselves, at least this season.Ā  The Ore dock will be a combination with a mining company, who will use it for ore removal, (which makes sense) along with cruise ships.

Ā 

No mention of upcoming site inspections in the landslide area.Ā  Hopefully no news is good news.

At least 2 weeks until we know, it seems.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Icecoldcranberry said:

I am scheduled to visit Skagway on Aug 28th on the Ovation of the Seas. We chose this itinerary because of its inclusion of Skagway, not knowing at the time re the rock slides. What is the actual chance we will be able to ā€˜dockā€™ in Skagway that day?

BBEAA385-A484-476F-9C7D-4DA205B9CBB0.jpeg

You should be okay.

It's the RRF dock site that is in question. Hopefully we will know something soon, since the inspection was to happen in early April.

9 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

You should be okay.

It's the RRF dock site that is in question. Hopefully we will know something soon, since the inspection was to happen in early April.

Ā My baby ship is RRF, crossing fingers they have a good plan!Ā 

On 3/12/2023 at 3:51 PM, eileeshb said:

From what I remember reading here last year NCL switched all their Skagway itineraries to ISP after the rockfall. Iā€™d hope most of the cruiselines with big ships have alternative ports lined up for this year after last seasons issues.Ā 

What is ISP?Ā  Sorry

An update from the Skagway News.

Ā 

A good picture of the rockslide, and the mitigation effort.Ā  Unfortunately the dock doesn't look usable for tourist traffic yet.Ā  (Note: Aft portion of the dock will use tender boats, so not an issue with first 4 weeks or so of the season.

Ā 

Also, if you want a unique summer job, this explains it.

https://skagwaynews.com/2023/04/14/rockslide-mitigation-leads-to-unique-seasonal-job/

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Ā 

A good picture of the rockslide, and the mitigation effort.Ā  Unfortunately the dock doesn't look usable for tourist traffic yet.Ā  (Note: Aft portion of the dock will use tender boats, so not an issue with first 4 weeks or so of the season.

Ā 

https://skagwaynews.com/2023/04/14/rockslide-mitigation-leads-to-unique-seasonal-job/

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Thanks for the update. Ā My cruise doesnā€™t go to Skagway until later in August. Ā Hopefully this works and nobody gets hurt.

2 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

interesting, as earlier reports were talking about the forward position having the trouble, but all I can hope for is an early arrival and an easy way off my ship at RRF for a 7:30 meet for the tour I am on! šŸ™‚Ā 

4 hours ago, Kathscof said:

Ā 

interesting, as earlier reports were talking about the forward position having the trouble, but all I can hope for is an early arrival and an easy way off my ship at RRF for a 7:30 meet for the tour I am on! šŸ™‚Ā 

Same! Our Royal Princess is supposed to dock at RRF next month...hoping we can still make our morning train excursion!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

Same! Our Royal Princess is supposed to dock at RRF next month...hoping we can still make our morning train excursion!

Fingers crossed! Maybe since itā€™s not *that* far, maybe they can speed up the arrival (though I know that some places they get in trouble if they are too early due to no dock workers available haha)

16 hours ago, SuzieQ521 said:

The train company knows how many from each ship are coming in advance.Ā  They set up the cars according to the number of customers.Ā  And strangely, do NOT allow mixing of different ships into the same car, or general walk up customers.Ā  A ship being delayed means 9 or 10 cars are empty and waiting.Ā  From memory (fading) there are 48 or so travelers per car.

Ā 

If your ship is late or a no-show, they will know from communications with the cruise line or port authority.

16 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

The train company knows how many from each ship are coming in advance.Ā  They set up the cars according to the number of customers.Ā  And strangely, do NOT allow mixing of different ships into the same car, or general walk up customers.Ā  A ship being delayed means 9 or 10 cars are empty and waiting.Ā  From memory (fading) there are 48 or so travelers per car.

Ā 

If your ship is late or a no-show, they will know from communications with the cruise line or port authority.

I saw that happen with specific people getting on specific cars in different places last year....

Ā 

but if I'm not going through the cruise line, and other ships are in port already, and I have to get in a tender line (that I heard was an option for the RRF folks a few months ago due to the concerns at that specific spot) after all the ship excursions get off first to get off the ship to meet my guide, it makes me nervous.....fingers crossed!

The Norwegian Bliss is docking today at the RRA (Railroad Dock Aft) according to Claalaska for the first cruise ship of the season in Skagway this year.

So it will be interesting to hear from current passengers on there about how the protocols are working for the aft position and their efficiency in time.

Ā 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, naturelovergirl said:

The Norwegian Bliss is docking today at the RRA (Railroad Dock Aft) according to Claalaska for the first cruise ship of the season in Skagway this year.

So it will be interesting to hear from current passengers on there about how the protocols are working for the aft position and their efficiency in time.

Ā 

I hope it works out.

Ā 

We are supposed to be at the RRA dock in June.

Ā 

They already cancelled our stop in Juneau and I don't want another sea day.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Crow9 said:

I'm at RRF on Discovery end of May, will be interesting to see what happens, since Quantum of the Seas is also booked for that day RRA, and they are both big ships.

Ā 

oooo how "end of May"? I'm there on the 29th šŸ™‚ Wondering if you will be giving us news or I will be giving y'all news! haha

1 minute ago, Kathscof said:

Ā 

oooo how "end of May"? I'm there on the 29th šŸ™‚ Wondering if you will be giving us news or I will be giving y'all news! haha

I am there on June 1st.