Cruelty free?

LouisaCP

Hi All, we've never been on a cruise, and I'd need vegetarian/vegan food, but more importantly, I use cruelty free laundry detergent and cruelty free household products, I wondered if anyone knows of any cruise companies who use cruelty free products?

Thanks

Honestly I dont think cruising will be for you, although menu choice has improved over the years it is still limited also do some research the cruise industry is one of the most polluting industries on the planet from the use of crude oil and kerosene to fuel ships (there are some gas powered i believe) and i dont believe any cruise company will disclose the detergents they use. Some companies have been prosecuted in the US for dumping waste at sea. TBH most people who cruise dont overly worry about a cruise companies green credentials, its just not high on their want or needs list. If you want real eco friendly cruising i truly believe you will find it difficult.  😊

3 hours ago, 2BACRUISER said:

Honestly I dont think cruising will be for you, although menu choice has improved over the years it is still limited also do some research the cruise industry is one of the most polluting industries on the planet from the use of crude oil and kerosene to fuel ships (there are some gas powered i believe) and i dont believe any cruise company will disclose the detergents they use. Some companies have been prosecuted in the US for dumping waste at sea. TBH most people who cruise dont overly worry about a cruise companies green credentials, its just not high on their want or needs list. If you want real eco friendly cruising i truly believe you will find it difficult.  😊

I will heartily disagree with you that the cruise industry is "one of the most polluting industries".  After 46 years at sea, on all types of vessels, including cruise ships, I will say that the cruise lines, for all their faults (mainly Carnival Corp), are head and shoulders above the general maritime industry in terms of environmental compliance.  Many more cargo ships and lines have been fined in the US for pollution than cruise ships, they just don't get the attention.  Further, the ships don't use either crude oil or kerosene (you do realize that jet fuel is kerosene) as fuel.  They use diesel fuel (even in gas turbines) or residual fuel oil, which has seen a mandated 86% reduction in sulfur emissions over the last 3 years.  And, cruise ships amount to about 3% of the total commercial vessels at sea, and no one complains about the pollution from the cargo ships that bring your cars, TV's and Iphones, along with 85% of the world's commerce to you. 

As to the OP's question about detergents, they use commercial/industrial products like EcoLab.  As far as I know, none of these are "cruelty free".

Vegetarian/vegan food is generally available on all cruise lines, though the selections are limited.  You need to address this with the cruise line's "special needs" department ahead of time, and with the maitre 'd and executive chef when onboard.  Typically, you will be asked to make your menu choices the day ahead of time.

• Like 2