Mini Review - Discovery Princess Jan 28-Feb 4 to Mexico

deultgen

Thank you so much for this mini review.  I will be taking the Discovery next Monday 2/20 for a 5 night cruise doing Cabo San Lucas (overnight) then back to LA.

What was the weather like?  Having such a hard time deciding what to pack.  Was it cold/cool?  I am used to being warm on a cruise, and I am now thinking I may need less dresses, and more pants.

Thanks in advance!

@PMGS247 We were in Cabo last Tuesday on the Royal Princess. We did not see any whale activity on the tender ride from the ship to the shore. It’s a quick ride and as others have said I don’t think you’d see any whales in this area. However sailing away from Cabo there was a lot of whale activity and the Captain made an announcement that they could be seen on the Starboard side of the ship. Our cabin was on the Starboard side and we got some amazing photos. If your wife doesn’t want to see them then it would be best if she didn’t go out on a balcony or open deck when sailing away from Cabo. I got to see my first whale breach and we got a couple amazing photos. Saw lots of spouts, one whale tail, and one slapping his/her pectoral fin on the water.

• Like 2

We stayed on the ship in Cabo, but from our midship balcony, we saw a LOT of whale activity: spouting, tail slapping...it was amazing, and between our binoculars and cameras, I almost feel that we got a better show than some of the charters...and it was free!😊

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CrownCruiserKK said:

Thank you so much for this mini review.  I will be taking the Discovery next Monday 2/20 for a 5 night cruise doing Cabo San Lucas (overnight) then back to LA.

What was the weather like?  Having such a hard time deciding what to pack.  Was it cold/cool?  I am used to being warm on a cruise, and I am now thinking I may need less dresses, and more pants.

Thanks in advance!

For us, it was in the 60's to begin with in Los Angeles, then cool in the ocean on the first day to Cabo, then warmer as we got closer to Cabo and maybe 78 degrees in Cabo.

• Like 1

We are also just off Discovery. Overall, we had a good time. We are live-music fans and spent pre-dinner evenings listening to the live duo in Crooner's Bar and post-dinner listening to the amazing jazz trio in Take Five. Dining at Bistro Sur La Mer (which is open to the Piazza) was a disappointment because of the very loud, live band coming from the Piazza. We couldn't hear what our waiter was saying nor could hubby and I hear each other talk. MDR food and service were hit and miss. A glass of wine that I ordered at the start of my entree did not come until after I finished my meal. Best specialty dining for us was Sabatini's. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to everyone for sharing your experiences and insights.  I LOVE soaking all this up as we wait impatiently for our turn mid March.

If you took an excursion, or if you would like to share your DYI shore time, I would love to hear your feedback. Thanks OP for sharing your experiences! 

Edited by ColoradoMom!!

4 hours ago, ColoradoMom!! said:

Thank you to everyone for sharing your experiences and insights.  I LOVE soaking all this up as we wait impatiently for our turn mid March.

If you took an excursion, or if you would like to share your DYI shore time, I would love to hear your feedback. Thanks OP for sharing your experiences! 

We had a great time on the Discovery in November.  We took the Cabo by Land and Sea excursion and would not recommend it. Then we got back late and had to wait a long time for the boat back to the ship. The glass factory was very interesting though. We loved our dinner in the Bistro, despite the location. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

I appreciate the insight.  I feel silly asking follow up questions because I know it's over the top but bear with me.

What would you say is the likelihood of seeing a whale/spout between the ship and where the tenders drop you off on shore?

Am I accurate in saying that the whale watching boats would be more prevalent towards the open ocean than in the bay where the ship anchors?

Trying to set my wife's mind at ease and convince her to go ashore, but I don't want to outright lie either.  If there's a chance the tender boat could unintentionally turn into a whale watching boat that would be valuable information.

How does she feel about sea lions? There were some hanging out fairly close to the tender dock when we were there in November,  and they can be very loud!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, donswife said:

How does she feel about sea lions? There were some hanging out fairly close to the tender dock when we were there in November,  and they can be very loud!

Sea Lions are good!  A bonus even.  It's very whale specific....the only whale that doesn't get lumped in are Beluga.  anything else is on the proverbial list.  I think it all originated with Orcas and expanded to anything with the word whale in the name.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2023 at 12:44 PM, disneyochem said:

Was also on this cruise and will be back on April 1.  We loved the ship!  Had just been on the Enchanted in October 2022 so was familiar with the lay out.  Missed not having a Vines but still was able to get great service and drinks at Crooners and the Crown Grille Bar.

We were in D221, a deluxe balcony with a pretty large balcony.  At least,  we were able to have four chairs and a table on the balcony!  Room was beautiful, bathroom small with the dreaded shower curtain.  The sofa bed was surprisingly comfortable (I slept on it for seven nights)!  It was great!

The dining rooms did have the new menus though you could ask for fettucine and usually get it.  The first night is always a mess--so many people lined up to get into the MDR.  We were in Skagway with an initial reservation of 6:30 p.m.  I spoke to the front staff and reserved a set table for 4 at 5:20 p.m.   Was able to walk in every night and go directly to our table.

Bistro Sur La Mer was one of the best specialty dining meals I've ever had on a Princess ship!  Just be sure to ask for a table with a view and away from the Piazza.  Seems that some people were seated in the aisleway of the ship.  Not sure I would like that...  

Was invited to the 360 Experience.  If you ever get the chance, go!  It was spectacular!

Went to a few of the shows and activities---subjective opinion but I did not like Rock Opera (and I'm a Broadway musical nut!).  Loud, screeching music (sometimes sung not in key) with poor dancing.  Enjoyed the marriage game, yes/no, trivia, zumba, dance classes--lots of entertainment and very good cruise staff!

Did not use the Sanctuary but used the Retreat Pool and the chairs outside of the Sanctuary on a number of days.  We had food and drink delivered via the Medallion.

Embarkation was easy--had to pick up our Medallions though.  We got dropped off around 11 a.m. and were on board at Crooners by 11:30 a.m.  Disembarkation was also pretty easy.  We were walk-offs and left the ship before 8 a.m.  This port (due to the closed loop cruise) used the face recognition for customs.  Just smiled, said good morning and was out the door for our shuttle pick up!

I do have to say that the service we received was phenomenal!  I've always have good service on a Princess ship but this staff and crew were great!  Cheerful, energetic, and upbeat crew just adds to one's cruise!

We also were invited to the 360 Experience. What fun!!! If you get a chance, jump on it.

• Like 1

We were on this sailing and want to thank Darren and Cindy for the Meet & Greet. We also were fortunate enough to go birding with them in Puerto Vallarta to the Rancho Primavera with our guide Antonio.

Club Class dining was terrific, as always. The head waiter, Renzo, was the most involved HW we have ever had. Between the 360 Experience and the Club Class, we did not feel the need to go to any of the pay dining venues - with one exception. We were sailing with three other couples. Two of them were having their anniversaries that week and wanted to go to the Crown Grille. We joined them and had a good steak and great fun.

We had a lot of fun in Princess Live, took the Salsa & Salsa excursion in Mazatlan, and had a relaxing day aboard during the day at Cabo.

We flew in and out of Long Beach because we did not want to mess with the hubbub of LAX. It was the right decision for us. We would definitely sail on Discovery again, even this same itinerary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Purple Gallinule said:

We had a lot of fun in Princess Live, took the Salsa & Salsa excursion in Mazatlan, and had a relaxing day aboard during the day at Cabo.

We flew in and out of Long Beach because we did not want to mess with the hubbub of LAX. It was the right decision for us. We would definitely sail on Discovery again, even this same itinerary.

We were thinking about the Salsa & Salsa!  I see it starts at 9AM (at least on our sailing) - how was that? What else can you tell me about it?  How was the time allowed by the pool/beach?

And we too are flying in and out of Long Beach - great rate from Denver.🎉. Did you Uber upon return?

Thanks!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ColoradoMom!! said:

We were thinking about the Salsa & Salsa!  I see it starts at 9AM (at least on our sailing) - how was that? What else can you tell me about it?  How was the time allowed by the pool/beach?

And we too are flying in and out of Long Beach - great rate from Denver.🎉. Did you Uber upon return?

Thanks!!

We had booked S&S for Cabo, but it got cancelled so we booked it in Mazatlan and it was great! There is a bus ride to the resort, so by the time we got there and things got set up it was closer to 10am. We had a lot of hands-on making six different salsas and had snacks to go with it plus all the margaritas we wanted. Non-alcoholic versions available. The beach/pool is right there, so you can either do the Salsa dancing part or do the beach or a combo.

We flew from the Springs with a connection in Vegas. Our return had a connection at DIA. We flew out 3 days early. At the end of the cruise we went straight back to LGB by taxi. Walked right off the ship without any hassle and avoided all the morning lines at the airport by relaxing on the picnic tables in front of the rental car trailers right across from the terminal.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

24 minutes ago, ColoradoMom!! said:

Thanks for the quick response! That helps a lot. I didn’t realize you were from Colorado too! 

Did you do any other activities in Mazatlan after the Salsa excursion? 

No, we went back and enjoyed an afternoon on Discovery. The weather was perfect for being out on deck. Are you getting snow tonight?!? 🙂

10 hours ago, Purple Gallinule said:

We were on this sailing and want to thank Darren and Cindy for the Meet & Greet. We also were fortunate enough to go birding with them in Puerto Vallarta to the Rancho Primavera with our guide Antonio.

Club Class dining was terrific, as always. The head waiter, Renzo, was the most involved HW we have ever had. Between the 360 Experience and the Club Class, we did not feel the need to go to any of the pay dining venues - with one exception. We were sailing with three other couples. Two of them were having their anniversaries that week and wanted to go to the Crown Grille. We joined them and had a good steak and great fun.

Would you recommend Antonio and if so how did you reserve him and travel to Rancho Primavera?  Birding in that area from cruise ship is something that I find very interesting and would love to try.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Purple Gallinule said:

Apparently I was not adamant enough in my praise of 360. My wife tells me it was the best part of the whole cruise (the octopus notwithstanding).

I’m really hoping to get an invite next month when we sail for our 35th anniversary. I plan to “beg” if necessary when I get onboard 😂

3 hours ago, cannongate said:

Would you recommend Antonio and if so how did you reserve him and travel to Rancho Primavera?  Birding in that area from cruise ship is something that I find very interesting and would love to try.

Please contact me offline at mgoff@aba.org and I will give you his contact info, cost, etc. By the way, we will be in Scottsdale for a couple weeks next month birding. Always fun.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Purple Gallinule said:

No, we went back and enjoyed an afternoon on Discovery. The weather was perfect for being out on deck. Are you getting snow tonight?!? 🙂

Yes - we surely did! Probably about 5" presently in SW Littleton.

I feel stupid not seeing Colorado next to your name earlier. 😬. Thanks again for your input - I am just having trouble with excursions for this cruise.  I usually book independently  - but that's Alaska, Hawaii and the upcoming New England.  Mexico intimidates me!

On 2/7/2023 at 3:38 PM, knbcruisers said:

Thank you for this photo!!!we are in D708 on the 3/11 cruise and very happy to see the balcony is so large as promised .   We usually book Caribe deck on theGrand class ships and didn’t  want the small balcony the Royal class is known for.  These cabins are a hidden gem I think.

We are in D706 on the March 11 sailing!  Guess we'll be neighbors!