Oceana first timer with basic question

SSFrance69

5 hours ago, cruisingxpert said:

Here is an example of why Oceania does allow you to bring heated rollers on board- which I have done on 20 cruises with no issues.

I shipped my bag to my cruise last year.  I got an email that it had arrived at the ship.  When I boarded, I waited for my bag to arrive in my cabin.  As we were getting close to leaving, I started getting worried and asking where it was.  Finally someone said it was in the receiving area(aka naughty room).  I went down to that area and the person there thought I might have a heating blanket in my luggage- strangely, they hadn't opened it to check. The person who xrayed it had slapped a sticker saying heating blanket.

I said it was my heating rollers and opened the bag to show them and they said no problem and gave me the bag with my rollers.

That makes sense. Maybe heated rollers are okay because they sit in a container and are not like a curling iron or flat iron that could get left on a flammable surface while still hot. I guess that's what I'll bring. I'll call Oceana tomorrow and ask them to be sure. 

23 minutes ago, ORV said:

I think this is like the ladies question, “can I wear sandals to dinner?”

It's a valid question. "Curling iron" was not in the list of prohibited items on their website and "flat iron" could have meant the kind you iron your clothing with. I asked here because I am new to Oceana and I don't want to break any rules. I've been a Celebrity cruiser for a very long time and this is from their rules, so I asked to find out if Oceana might also define curling irons as "safe". 

"Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However ""torch lighters"" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited."

• Like 1

I’m bringing mine. I’m not going to look like a hot mess on my vacation. We will see if they confiscate it, which I doubt. I’ve been on many different cruise lines and it’s ok with them. I’m not stupid. I know it needs to be turned off after use and always place a towel underneath when using it. The only part that gets hot is inside the flat iron, unlike a curling iron that is hot on the outside. I agree with the terminology being misunderstood. I do think they are referring to clothes iron. We will see. Will I go to cruise pax jail? 

• Like 3

"I have not been on an O cruise yet, but I am pretty sure the non allowed "flat iron" is an iron for your clothes not your hair"

Yes that would be my interpretation.  Never had a problem.

Edited by jakes47
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For anyone interested, I phoned Oceana today and have the official answer from the rep who asked her supervisor (because no one had ever asked her the question). Hot rollers are not a problem. Curling iron might be an issue. Hot rollers it is! Hope this helps anyone with planning packing items.

• Thanks 1