LIVE from Millennium

florisdekort

Hi everybody,

Just a quick message from Millennium. As you can see on the webcam (www.celebrityatsea.com) the sea is very rough today, the waves are reaching all the way up to deck 4 and the spray comes as high has deck 11. Lots of passengers and crew are seasick. The problems started yesterday when we were docked in Puerto Madryn; sudden winds caused one of the ropes that tied Millennium to the dock to come off and the captain had to leave port with 1,300 passengers still ashore (including us). It took them 2 hours to set up a tender operation from a different pier outside of Puerto Madryn. The crew was amazing, being on the tender was like being on a roller coaster, but they managed to tender everybody in through the rough sea; eventually we left only 2 hours late. Right now we are still sailing in the direction of the Falklands, but knowing that they cancelled that port twice this season already and looking at the sea, I am pretty sure we won't make it in there.

The ship is in great shape, the crew is excellent, the new Captain (Bouzakis, from Greece) actually managed to make some jokes during his welcome toast, and the food has improved a lot since I last sailed Millennium in October. Maybe the new French chef has something to do with that. No sewage smells. More details when we get back. Internet is too expensive on the ship ;-)

Regards,

Floris

Excellent

What are the wave height's? It looks like 10 -15 foot seas and on my Navy ships a lot of people would be feeling bad in those conditions. But Millennium is 91000 tons so the movement compared to a 20000 ton US Navy ship should be a lot less. Try 30 degree rolls and you will know what I mean. Still I am glad you are having an interesting time. South American seas are usually rough (Even in Summer like it is now) Winter it's really bad. Anyway thanks for the update and please keep us posted.

I hope the sea conditions improve. You're on a cruise I would love to take. Glad to hear some nice things about the Millennium. I'm on the 5-26-06 sailing on her and I having been reading some unsettling things on these boards about her. Thanks for the info

It is 12:27 pm now. At noon, the Captain announced that the waves are 33 feet (10 meters) high and that the wind is 75 miles an hour. He added that he still intends to get us to the Falklands tomorrow morning, but that if the winds should become stronger, safety would require him to turn around. I spend the past few hours reading a book in the Cosmos Nightclub (deck 11 forward) and the spray of the waves reaches all the way up there... wow!

Interesting..I just looked at the Internet Cafe cam and it is full and no one looks the least bit uncomfortable. Either seaworthy cruisers or the seas have calmed down. Even the Bridgecam only shows reasonable? whitecaps. Hopefully sailing has improved....

Wow Floris!:eek: Looks quite a ride. It does look a bit calmer now. I hope that you manage to get to the Falklands. If it is any comfort it does look like the high seas are moving away from the Falklands at the moment, so there may be a chance. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Phil

Wow.........we saw the cam today and feel for you guys. We were on the Millie Trans last November and had some pretty huge swells while averting Hurricanes Delta and Epsilon !!! Hope all is well.

So, is Jean Paul no longer the executive chef?

Good luck with the Falklands and enjoy the rest of your cruise..........:)

M&M's

I'm not a betting man, but at those odds it might just be worth a £5 flutter;)

Phil

you'd have made a nice return on investment - looking at the webcam, it appears that Port Stanley is nice and calm today.

OK, what are the odds the Millie will actually stop at Port Stanley? I'd say about 30-1 at this point.

BTW, it looks like someone forgot to take the benches off the helipad:

Looks like they made it into Port Stanley and left on time too. When we were there in January, the seas were somewhat rough and the refueling barge could not pull next to the ship until after we were all tendered back to the ship and we ended up leaving at 3 am or so!

The benches are bolted on are not in the way of the square that the helicopter lands on.

Archived