On Diamond Now En Route to Japan

Bobbiegentry

6 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

Hi @Bobbiegentry,

Loving the updates. Very true about how awful it must have been to see a pair of shorts in the MDR. The sheer horror.

How has the entertainment/shows been? Is Sophie still the cruise director? I don't know if any of the cruise directors Princess used to have pre-COVID on the Japan itineraries have stayed; we'll miss them. Please share with us the picture board of crew members!

Are you finding yourself bored with the food in the buffet yet lol? (as if!)

And how have the seas been thus far? I've imagined doing a transpacific but the Pacific can be an unpredictable one. Wishing you many more days of smooth sailing!

We’ve not been to a single show thus far so can’t offer an opinion. 
Sophia is the CD. (See photo). 
As always the first few days out of the west coast we’re somewhat rough. Not terrible but a bit bumpy. Hawaii had its own challenges with the storm system that moved through. We stayed two days in HNL and skipped Maui. Nice day in Kauai despite the dicey forecast. It did get really rainy the moment we transited the breakwater. Normal seas beyond that. 
Last couple of days have been nice. 

image.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you so much. This is my first experience using Cruise Critic so I wasn't sure if you received my first inquiry about dress code so I posted it again.

Did you book your tours through Princess or a third party?

You have been so helpful!! I hope you are enjoying the trip!

I cruised the Diamond in China about 8 years ago. Doesn't look like much has changed as far a appearance, but the ports look amazing. Thanks again, Lorraine

• Like 1

Just now, Lorraineroth said:

Thank you so much. This is my first experience using Cruise Critic so I wasn't sure if you received my first inquiry about dress code so I posted it again.

Did you book your tours through Princess or a third party?

You have been so helpful!! I hope you are enjoying the trip!

I cruised the Diamond in China about 8 years ago. Doesn't look like much has changed as far a appearance, but the ports look amazing. Thanks again, Lorraine

We almost never book tours with Princess. There have been exceptions over the years but they are few and far between. We almost always book with third-party vendors.

Princess, like most other cruise lines, do not do tours themselves, but rather contract to third-party vendors and markup the price when they do. We’ve always found better tour options with the third-party tour companies.

There was an earlier question about the bridge cam on Diamond not working. Apologies for my delay in responding. 

Just this minute spoke to the Captain. Captain Ravera is the most visible Captain we’ve ever sailed with on any cruise, on any cruise line. He’s EVERYWHERE!!

When we ran into him I asked him about the bridge cam. He was unaware it was not working on the web. He explained how there is a more detailed bridge cam in his cabin/office so he doesn’t see the web version unless he specifically looks for it. 

Upon learning about this, he walked immediately to a nearby house phone and called someone to report the problem. He waved us as we walked by and thanked us again for pointing this out to him. 

Very hands-on guy. 

I’m guessing that a call from the Captain will result in some action!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

There was an earlier question about the bridge cam on Diamond not working. Apologies for my delay in responding. 

Just this minute spoke to the Captain. Captain Ravera is the most visible Captain we’ve ever sailed with on any cruise, on any cruise line. He’s EVERYWHERE!!

When we ran into him I asked him about the bridge cam. He was unaware it was not working on the web. He explained how there is a more detailed bridge cam in his cabin/office so he doesn’t see the web version unless he specifically looks for it. 

Upon learning about this, he walked immediately to a nearby house phone and called someone to report the problem. He waved us as we walked by and thanked us again for pointing this out to him. 

Very hands-on guy. 

I’m guessing that a call from the Captain will result in some action!

DBD32499-50D0-446B-A83F-192E17582B7C.thumb.jpeg.283b9cfc363a56a345ce7a2ab3425fc4.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you for "fixing" the bridge cam.  Did no passenger notice on the ship (in their room) that they could not see their location?  

Magical.  

I wonder if one would have been able to see the International Date LINE...if the camera was working......

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thank you for "fixing" the bridge cam.  Did no passenger notice on the ship (in their room) that they could not see their location?  

Magical.  

I wonder if one would have been able to see the International Date LINE...if the camera was working......

Maybe that’s what the big magenta line was atop the water that we sailed over!!😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Are you doing a back to back to see more of Japan? I would love to hear about your adventures in Japan as I will be taking the cruise in October.

Also, are the meals in the dining room the same as on ships that are in the US or are there Japanese items on the menu each meal?  If the menus are different, would you post a few menus to give us an idea of what is being offered?  Much appreciated.

Thanks!

17 hours ago, Californian said:

Are you doing a back to back to see more of Japan? I would love to hear about your adventures in Japan as I will be taking the cruise in October.

Also, are the meals in the dining room the same as on ships that are in the US or are there Japanese items on the menu each meal?  If the menus are different, would you post a few menus to give us an idea of what is being offered?  Much appreciated.

Thanks!

We decided early on that a month on the water at one whack is plenty! We’re staying in Tokyo for a week afterwards with trips to Hiroshima (bucket list item), Kyoto (again, it’s one of our port stops) during the week before flying home. 

To our surprise, the menus in the MDR have thus far been absent any Japanese food at all. I asked the HW about it and he said likely not on this cruise but likely during the sailings between Japanese ports. 

• Like 2

On 2/27/2023 at 6:22 AM, Californian said:

It’s too bad that they have not offered any Japanese food thus far on your cruise.  So, they may offer it once you’ve made your first stop in Japan?

I asked the HW that exact question. 
He said he did not know about the rest of this cruise but definitely when the ship leaves Yokohama and begins its sailings around Japan. 

• Thanks 1

We booked a 7 days and a 9 days cruise for this Sept.  For the last 9 years, we have only cruised on the Royal class ship.  Looking at the deck plan of Diamond, I noticed there is no International Cafe.  So where on the ship do you buy the specialty coffee?  And any place you can get sandwiches and snacks 24-hours (besides Room Service)?  Also, I see on the Sun deck, there is an area named Japanese Bath.  Is there a fee to use that area?

Thank you. 

20 hours ago, chubbypiggy said:

We booked a 7 days and a 9 days cruise for this Sept.  For the last 9 years, we have only cruised on the Royal class ship.  Looking at the deck plan of Diamond, I noticed there is no International Cafe.  So where on the ship do you buy the specialty coffee?  And any place you can get sandwiches and snacks 24-hours (besides Room Service)?  Also, I see on the Sun deck, there is an area named Japanese Bath.  Is there a fee to use that area?

Thank you. 

RE the Izumi area - yes, 100% pay to use. The stairs up from Deck 14 aft are even chained to close off this entire area the deck above.  See Post #7 for pricing. 

RE specialty coffee - available at Good Sprits on Deck 5.  See Post #22 for menu and pricing. 
Coffee also available in Crooners in the morning we are told. We don’t drink coffee so can’t confirm. 

RE the IC and 24 hour food - just not available on the Diamond. This is the only shortcoming we are able to identify on the Diamond which is fast becoming our favorite ship.
Below are the food opportunities from today’s Patter. 
959E4666-0DA3-4102-91DB-668DDE42275B.thumb.jpeg.51a63959cfd1d429f01daec108c28e2a.jpeg

Edited by Bobbiegentry
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

Diamond which is fast becoming our favorite ship.

I, too, like the Royal class ships.  I’m really happy to hear that you like the Diamond Princess since I’m a little hesitant about going on that ship.  Would you expound on why the Diamond Princess is becoming your favorite ship, please?   Just curious….Thanks.

Also, have you seen many people using the Japanese baths?  It’s too bad that they don’t allow one day use.

6 hours ago, Bobbiegentry said:

RE the Izumi area - yes, 100% pay to use. The stairs up from Deck 14 aft are even chained to close off this entire area the deck above.  See Post #7 for pricing. 

RE specialty coffee - available at Good Sprits on Deck 5.  See Post #22 for menu and pricing. 
Coffee also available in Crooners in the morning we are told. We don’t drink coffee so can’t confirm. 

RE the IC and 24 hour food - just not available on the Diamond. This is the only shortcoming we are able to identify on the Diamond which is fast becoming our favorite ship.
Below are the food opportunities from today’s Patter. 
959E4666-0DA3-4102-91DB-668DDE42275B.thumb.jpeg.51a63959cfd1d429f01daec108c28e2a.jpeg

Thank you so much for your information!!

On 2/16/2023 at 7:29 PM, Bobbiegentry said:

The following us offered FYI ONLY.

This morning at breakfast in the MDR I asked the MD about men wearing shorts at dinner in the MDR. 
He advised that is a battle this ship (he added all others as well) has chosen not to fight. Anything goes. If they turn someone away they go the purser’s desk and complain. He advised it wasn’t worth it 

He went on to say that there were those who arrived for dinner on “formal night” in shorts and tee shirts. They were seated. 
All of that said, I’ll continue to wear my black jeans and Hawaiian shirt every night on every dining room and elsewhere on every ship.

The casualisationists do certainly enjoy gloating about what they can get away with 

22 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Is there a reason why breakfast and lunch are being served in the hard-to-get-to aft dining room (International MDR)?

Thanks for all of your answers and posts. 

Can’t really answer. All of our meals (inc bkfst) are in the Santa Fe dining room on Deck 6. 
Sorry I can’t help. 

23 hours ago, Californian said:

I, too, like the Royal class ships.  I’m really happy to hear that you like the Diamond Princess since I’m a little hesitant about going on that ship.  Would you expound on why the Diamond Princess is becoming your favorite ship, please?   Just curious….Thanks.

Also, have you seen many people using the Japanese baths?  It’s too bad that they don’t allow one day use.

We tend to prefer the smaller ships. The Diamond is just the right size for us. Of course, YMMV. 
It simply doesn’t feel crowded. Part of this is the reduced pax numbers on this cruise but even with a full load, it would still be good. 

Deck 7 has a completely wrap around Promenade. The newer ships have eliminated this feature in favor of revenue producing spaces. Consequently, we try very hard to completely avoid these newer ships. 
The food on the Diamond is unquestionably the best we’ve ever had on any Princess ship. 
The Santa Fe dining room is very nicely designed and appointed. 
The layout of the ship is very familiar. Feels like coming home. 
Much of the crew are Japanese. VERY friendly people. 

Can’t answer your question about the Izumi. We’ve not been there since our embarkation day tour and the area can’t really be seen from deck 14. It can be seen from higher decks but we’ve not gone up there much. 
Sorry I couldn’t help.