wifi on the solstice

neversink4

We were  on Solstice last October  Mx Riviera cruise with premium wifi. Able to stream Youtube without any problems , texting was fine but was surprised that e mail images loaded very slowly or blocked. I didn’t use internet for anything else so can’t speak to browsing speed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, private92656 said:

We got off Solstice on 2/11/23, had classic package, internet was almost non-existent. We could send and receive text all right, but anything involving pictures or videos would not go through.

Sounds like you had the basic package which is restrictive; the premium removes all restrictions and is faster

5 minutes ago, wen_c82 said:

We were  on Solstice last October  Mx Riviera cruise with premium wifi. Able to stream Youtube without any problems , texting was fine but was surprised that e mail images loaded very slowly or blocked. I didn’t use internet for anything else so can’t speak to browsing speed

They've upgraded to Starlink since then, I think in Nov

4 hours ago, neversink4 said:

Can anyone who has been on this ship recently provide a review of wifi quality?

The better question is, are you wanting to do anything specific?  They have starlink, I can only comment on the premium.    Steam, email, browsing should be fine, sending/receiving large files may take some extra time.  Video chats USUALLY are fine but if you're looking to make an important hour long work video meeting you need to plan for the worst that they'll be hiccups, could drop off and have issues getting back on

We were on a B2B on Solstice in December.   We had Premium.   Our first cruise was the first cruise they turned on the Starlink connection and it was a bit touch and go an lost it for a day.   I think it was part of the tuning it for the passenger load.    By the second cruise it was operating really well  and I was getting up to 25 Meg up and down but latency was sometimes delayed. 

My understanding is that on cruise ships the routers take all the signals and sequence them so no one connection can hog all the bandwidth.  

I was good enough that I could stream YouTueTV without any buffering.

19 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We were on a B2B on Solstice in December.   We had Premium.   Our first cruise was the first cruise they turned on the Starlink connection and it was a bit touch and go an lost it for a day.   I think it was part of the tuning it for the passenger load.    By the second cruise it was operating really well  and I was getting up to 25 Meg up and down but latency was sometimes delayed. 

My understanding is that on cruise ships the routers take all the signals and sequence them so no one connection can hog all the bandwidth.  

I was good enough that I could stream YouTueTV without any buffering.

It's been throttled way down as I've been on her twice since she got starlink, went over 4mbps (down) only once I'd guess the average is 2mbps down and 3mbps up.  That's still much better than what it had before where it would routinely go below 1mbps down and up

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...