Priority boarding vs platinum and above priority boarding?

lhlm75

Probably depends on the port/cruise terminal you are in.  Last week in Los Angeles, there was no significant audible announcement system in place.  There was confusion/chaos as they opened for boarding.  The people stopping passengers from boarding could not tell when they were supposed to let the priority passengers board.  Someone "in charge" yelled across the crowd to "let them in..." -- people rushed the door.  The "in charge" person then finished their sentence "if they have priority passes".  But it was too late.  The crowds were moving thru the doors as fast as they could hand their boarding passes to the overwhelmed door agents.

I would not pay anything extra.  Get there early.  Get you early pass and then cross your fingers.

3 hours ago, lhlm75 said:

Hey All, 

what is the difference between the paid priority boarding vs the Platinum and above priority boarding? Is it worth paying? I have platinum status. Thank you 

Probably wouldn’t be worth it from a boarding perspective.  Last week I. San Juan they had priority checkin but boarding was basically general boarding after Haven and special needs.  If your cruise is port intensive with tenders it might be helpful. Also if you like breakfast room service it is complimentary.  Finally, there is a spa credit on port days that you may take advantage of. So only makes sense if you plan on using the other benefits outside of boarding.

Edited by laudergayle

39 minutes ago, LloydJr said:

Why would this person need an "early pass" (I'm guessing you're referring to a boarding group) if they are Platinum?

Yes, I was referring to getting to the port early, so you check in early, so you get a low number boarding group.  In LA, we checked in at the Platinum desk and that is where we were given our boarding pass with the group number on it.  Platinum groups were lower numbers than non-platinum groups.  But we still had a number. 

1 hour ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Yes, I was referring to getting to the port early, so you check in early, so you get a low number boarding group.  In LA, we checked in at the Platinum desk and that is where we were given our boarding pass with the group number on it.  Platinum groups were lower numbers than non-platinum groups.  But we still had a number. 

My last two cruises I reminded them I was Platinum and they said "well, then you don't need this boarding group thing."  I boarded before group one.  You may be doing it wrong.

• Like 2

In Tampa, there was nothing special for anyone other than suites.  At the first door, they asked if we were concierge customers and when I asked if there was anything for platinum, they laughed and said Latitudes didn't count for this.  Then, through the rest of the process, I asked if there was a platinum check-in line and told no.  We were then told to fill the chairs in the order that we finished checking in.  Other than suites (which went a different direction when getting in the first door) and assisted boarding, everyone was lumped together in one group.

Thanks to the OP for asking about the paid option because I was wondering if there was any added benefit there.

On 2/19/2023 at 6:25 PM, LloydJr said:

My last two cruises I reminded them I was Platinum and they said "well, then you don't need this boarding group thing."  I boarded before group one.  You may be doing it wrong.

Good to know. Which port(s)?