Picture-A-Week 2023 - Week 08

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, February 20 and Sunday, February 26.

Valentine's Day was last week. You're on your own. Amaze me!

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

A huge roar announced today's surprise in the sky. The Black Eagles Aerobatic Team from the Republic of Korea Air Force were doing their stuff over Sydney skies today. I grabbed the camera and headed to the roof garden on our building for a good view.

At first I thought they were the Australian Air Force's 'Roulettes' which I was lucky enough to see in Hobart last week (please see the images I just posted in the Week 06 thread) but the info was revealed on local media tonite.

RX038243.thumb.JPG.193bb205656a0598278a668520d70c4a.JPG

RX038250.thumb.JPG.3ec24bd19c52f18a7a533f60f2eb5839.JPG

RX038253.thumb.JPG.cc7e87e3e8e89c1da9db51c6ca26e761.JPG

RX038258.thumb.JPG.551a55cba204e938962c9997a9cee4ef.JPG

• Like 6

It is super sunny in Central Ohio.  Will be a high of 56F today.  Yesterday was very nice and sunny, too.  Need some proof and evidence?  Below illustrates the results yesterday when we went to our nearby, large city park with a some water areas.  Saw some busy birds.  See as to how they looked, helped by the bright sun making them look more colorful and highly interesting.  Like?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Here is a small sampling for the ducks, geese, etc., from yesterday at our nearby park on a very sunny, bright afternoon.  Lots of geese from Canada that can be pesky!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.f180391d639ed2fc53fc3a4709a8edac.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fe052a410b8f93fb1226374b117ae349.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.067adb253a6e599b2c16267bd5ac54b8.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.facab874ac937333bb54afe83ea5e7ca.jpeg

• Like 6

Love all the birds, feathered and sans feathers! 🤩

The solo bird photo kind of had me wondering (before I saw its feet) if it was a duck, or a bird. I don't know why. Just has that face, but I love it 🙂

2 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

Love all the birds, feathered and sans feathers! 🤩

The solo bird photo kind of had me wondering (before I saw its feet) if it was a duck, or a bird. I don't know why. Just has that face, but I love it 🙂

That is a kookaburra (no time for a pedicure before your inspection 😉)

And BTW is a duck not a bird??

• Like 1

On 2/21/2023 at 6:46 PM, boeckli said:

A huge roar announced today's surprise in the sky. The Black Eagles Aerobatic Team from the Republic of Korea Air Force were doing their stuff over Sydney skies today. I grabbed the camera and headed to the roof garden on our building for a good view.

At first I thought they were the Australian Air Force's 'Roulettes' which I was lucky enough to see in Hobart last week (please see the images I just posted in the Week 06 thread) but the info was revealed on local media tonite.

RX038243.thumb.JPG.193bb205656a0598278a668520d70c4a.JPG

RX038250.thumb.JPG.3ec24bd19c52f18a7a533f60f2eb5839.JPG

RX038253.thumb.JPG.cc7e87e3e8e89c1da9db51c6ca26e761.JPG

RX038258.thumb.JPG.551a55cba204e938962c9997a9cee4ef.JPG

The International Airshow is at Avalon Airport in Melbourne this coming weekend. All sorts of planes are coming from around the world.

Well, been away for some weeks, with no internet access. So, nothing for a while.

Sunday morning had a little wander at Bunyip State Park, not much to see.

Yellow tailed black cockatoo

Bunyip1.thumb.jpg.8a8c5c2968f530af47e4056f52142e06.jpg

Strange bug on strange fungus

Bunyip2.thumb.jpg.76bb12215e6c1da840dfcbdf43ff7a16.jpg

Rather large, and annoying, fly

Bunyip3.thumb.jpg.45fe8742e10e810fc8ff4aac24648cf4.jpg

Edited by Docker123
  • Like 7

This week's photo is from my side of the mountain range pictured last week. This week brought a bit of wild weather with a long stretch of significantly lower than normal temperatures along with days and days of rain and snow. Over a period of days, SoCal communities had what amounted to the area’s normal total precipitation for the year. Snow levels dipped low enough that our local forecast actually predicted snow for us down below 1,000 ft.. It never quite made it, but relatives closer to the mountains at about 1,600 ft. got about an inch on Saturday afternoon. It was a rough week of weather in a land unused to harsh conditions. I am, however, thankful for said conditions since they decorated my mountains for this lovely panorama.

Snow Day

2023-08SnowDay.thumb.jpg.04e6ae3445b036ed0123a5676257980f.jpg

Dave

• Like 6

On 2/26/2023 at 6:39 PM, boeckli said:

And BTW is a duck not a bird??

OK so I'm taking some steroids for a cough, you see 😂 and they seem to be altering my ornithological senses. 

I keep telling everyone how all of these creatures astound me coming from "pigeonville" as I do. There are ducks. So basically, that's the run of it and to make it sound broad and wild, I guess I got to keeping them in their own worlds: the bird, the duck, the geese. Makes it sound like we have quite the wildlife collection. I know other types pass through where I am now if you go to the right place, but even if I did, I'd miss them... they'd know I was around and split!😳

I saw Kookaburras when down your way, but I thought I remembered them smaller, could be I saw younger ones. Such a wonderful delight, your birds, I was in heaven.

49 minutes ago, Host Bonjour said:

OK so I'm taking some steroids for a cough, you see 😂 and they seem to be altering my ornithological senses. 

I keep telling everyone how all of these creatures astound me coming from "pigeonville" as I do. There are ducks. So basically, that's the run of it and to make it sound broad and wild, I guess I got to keeping them in their own worlds: the bird, the duck, the geese. Makes it sound like we have quite the wildlife collection. I know other types pass through where I am now if you go to the right place, but even if I did, I'd miss them... they'd know I was around and split!😳

I saw Kookaburras when down your way, but I thought I remembered them smaller, could be I saw younger ones. Such a wonderful delight, your birds, I was in heaven.

The kookaburra is a largish kingfisher. Very pretty, and the laughing kookaburra has the famous call.

There are other kingfishers in Australia, typically about 2/3 or less in size. This is a sacred kingfisher from a park near my house. Taken a couple of years ago.

Kingfisher1.thumb.jpg.66a8ad6e21441132e17b14290b8696fc.jpg

Edited by Docker123
  • Like 4

Another round of the Florida wetlands for me - we're right in the middle of 'BIF-palooza' - that time of year that stretches around the beginning of March to mid-April.  At the end of each day, from around 4:30pm to sunset, there are so many birds in the air that you would hit one if you randomly tossed a ball up in the air...they fly way high up in the sky to right down on the water, and often buzz so close to you that they'll rustle your hair with the draft off their wings, and occasionally even whomp you on the head with the tip of a wing.  They range from 10-inch wingspans of grackles to 6-7 foot wingspans of wood storks and great blue herons.

Glossy ibis flying past while looking for a spot to land:

original.jpg

Great egret feeling like it's going to bump into my lens - I had my 10-400mm lens pulled all the way back to 138mm:

original.jpg

A boat-tailed grackle flying past me:

original.jpg

The wood storks are hefty birds with big wings - so they are confident that they can haul back some pretty big bits of lumber for their nests.  Sometimes they overestimate what they can easily haul - this one was having trouble getting enough altitude, so his giant branch was bouncing across the surface of the water as he flew:

original.jpg

A tricolored heron flying low over the water in its breeding colors:

original.jpg

Another look at a tricolored heron flying close by, showing the blue bill, red eye, and red legs of their breeding plumage:

original.jpg

A great blue heron flying my way:

original.jpg

A pair of black-bellied whistling ducks buzzing off:

original.jpg

• Like 5