Striking Out to New Turf – A Joy(ful) Live – 3/18 – 3/25, Western Caribbean

Safe travels home! That’s great you were able to make the flight changes in the app. It seems that some travelers who use NCL air don’t even try to use the airline apps or make contact with the airline for requested changes. Instead, they complain about the bad flights on CC or social media. 🤣

I’ve not read your entire update as I was on the Gem during a chunk of it with bad wifi to CC, too. Sounds like you had a great time as usual!  Did you miss the thermal spa? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

The text all air travelers dread. Your flight is now delayed. We've rebooted you on a flight that arrives to your home airport at midnight.

Screenshot_20230325_070404_Messages.thumb.jpg.204ab825af92f9044e2a1595c807f5c3.jpg

Yup, nope. Not happening. Our new flight (we chose through the app, no NCL assistance necessary), has us arriving home at just before 5 pm. No NYC airports, just the behemoth of Detroit now.

Screenshot_20230325_070520_FlyDelta.thumb.jpg.a940b92d8c2983a46316c8db3ab77a54.jpg

Glad you were able to easily change flights. Have a safe journey home.

Thank you for your semi live review. Looking forward to more of your ruminations when you have unfettered internet access. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Seas2mountains said:

Safe travels home! That’s great you were able to make the flight changes in the app. It seems that some travelers who use NCL air don’t even try to use the airline apps or make contact with the airline for requested changes. Instead, they complain about the bad flights on CC or social media. 🤣

That's too bad for them because you can also use the phone app, put in your TSA precheck known traveler number, etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

The text all air travelers dread. Your flight is now delayed. We've rebooted you on a flight that arrives to your home airport at midnight.

Screenshot_20230325_070404_Messages.thumb.jpg.204ab825af92f9044e2a1595c807f5c3.jpg

Yup, nope. Not happening. Our new flight (we chose through the app, no NCL assistance necessary), has us arriving home at just before 5 pm. No NYC airports, just the behemoth of Detroit now.

Screenshot_20230325_070520_FlyDelta.thumb.jpg.a940b92d8c2983a46316c8db3ab77a54.jpg

During Covid, Delta really upped their game with allowing cancel/rebooks mostly without a fee, done by their app. Being from Atlanta, Delta is our choice airline. Hope they treat you well.  Happy travels home. Those four-legged loved ones are ready for you to clean up after them…lol.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

During Covid, Delta really upped their game with allowing cancel/rebooks mostly without a fee, done by their app. Being from Atlanta, Delta is our choice airline. Hope they treat you well.  Happy travels home. Those four-legged loved ones are ready for you to clean up after them…lol.

I used to fly Delta, before I moved to Montana where United was the best option. Now I have a flights worth of miles with them. Delta is definitely a far better option than any other carriers though!

I definitely appreciate the free WiFi on Delta!

Apparently we're on standby for our Detroit to Syracuse flight. Years ago, on Delta, this happened and the gate agent was able to select a seat for me. Apparently this is no longer an option as two have told me they can't do that. Interesting change that I don't like. I won't waste any tears over it. We are good, I think. Numbers 5 and 6 on the standby list with 22 seats "available." 

20230325_093738.thumb.jpg.d7fc3827519a1df93af0d2bf91b2b61c.jpg

That delayed JFK flight is the cause of our changes this morning. What's going in in NYC? Weather? New York being New York?

20230325_095318.thumb.jpg.0bb25d92ac2ba9ad7eeee6ff5ae9051c.jpg

The furry dogs are going directly to a grooming session on Sunday. If you consider us going to a pet store with a self animal wash, a groomer. 🤠

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

That delayed JFK flight is the cause of our changes this morning. What's going in in NYC? Weather? New York being New York?

It's gray and depressing here in Albany, but I wouldn't think there would be anything too interesting happening in NYC to cause delays.

Have a safe second flight!

• Thanks 1

Drama in the airport! 

A lady left for the bathroom. Apparently two guys took her "seats." She complained to them for about five minutes that they took her seats. She's a party of one folks. 

There were three seats available just past these two gentlemen (they were very polite, but firm they weren't moving). They told her where other seats were and that she would hear the announcements by the gate agent. 

She finally gave up and sat behind me in one of the three available seats. 

Then, one of the men left. Hahahahaha...she hasn't moved back to her "seats" yet. Ahhhh Florida, how I love you.

EDIT: she is calling the men "smart a$$es," because she's always nervous. She did admit they were right that she would hear the announcements though.

Ok, her companion did come. So she does in fact need "seats."

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, zzdoug said:

That's too bad for them because you can also use the phone app, put in your TSA precheck known traveler number, etc. 

Yes! I took advantage of precheck as I waited in line to check our bag, while my husband (says precheck, for now) went through security. Five minutes and I was through. 

1 hour ago, Seas2mountains said:

I’ve not read your entire update as I was on the Gem during a chunk of it with bad wifi to CC, too. Sounds like you had a great time as usual!  Did you miss the thermal spa? 

Haha yep! I'm now at the airline's mercy, so it's safe to say the NCL BOGO Airfare worked just fine for us. 

I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your trip report! 

I didn't miss the thermal suite as much as I thought. More deets later about why!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Yes! I took advantage of precheck as I waited in line to check our bag, while my husband (says precheck, for now) went through security. Five minutes and I was through. 

Since you guys seem to be frequent travelers, you might benefit from signing up with CLEAR if you have not already done so. Global Entry is also helpful when returning from an international destination. I rarely spend more than 2 minutes at Customs when returning from abroad. Some credit cards cover the cost for CLEAR and Global Entry,

Edited by Sugar Magnolia
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jordan61 said:

Get yourself a Roomba! The rest I can't help with, sorry. 😁

Thanks for taking us along on your trip!

We have one that keeps our bedroom somewhat fur free... mostly. 

And, you are welcome! I'm sorry most will be a post trip review, but that should help with my work boredom. 

2 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Since you guys seem to be frequent travelers, you might benefit from signing up with CLEAR if you have not already done so. Global Entry is also helpful when returning from an international destination. I rarely spend more than 2 minutes at Customs when returning from abroad. Some credit cards cover the cost for CLEAR and Global Entry,

That's a great idea! He is getting precheck when we get home. We should look at one of those two, especially as we look at more international experiences. On to all over the place! Do you prefer one over the other?

On 3/23/2023 at 11:42 AM, FlGoodShips said:

Were you provided a list of officers? If yes...could you post it?

Thank you.

Sorry, I wasn't able to find that helpful officer board. The concierge was Nashira Flores, but she transitioned to a different ship this morning. Rohminton or something like that was the GM. I believe Dan S was the captain, but I may be totally off on that one.

• Thanks 1

On 3/23/2023 at 12:32 PM, MAPCruises said:

We will be on the Joy in the Haven on April 1,  I am upset to hear about the haven bar situation.  That was one of the main selling points to get my husband when I told him I got the haven. 

I think your husband will be happy with the bar. Just be prepared for a wait, especially in the restaurant. Every Haven trip we've taken has required a wait of five to ten minutes per drink. This trip was no exception. Due to how busy the bar was we chose to wait in the restaurant, rather than ordering at the bar, then going to the restaurant.

It is a definite service issue I've never really understood...well I know why, but I dont know why it's allowed to continue. Basically, there is one bar, with one to two bartenders (and a couple helpers) that have to service bar orders, restaurant orders, and sundeck/lounge orders. Quite frankly, they need three to four bartenders from about 11 AM until 10 PM, but oftentimes (this week, anyway) there was only one. This, plus the stairs and walk from the restaurant to the bar, causes the long wait times for drinks.

Just pack your patience and be prepared to wait. It'll be ok!

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 2:46 PM, CDR Benson said:

The bartender might've been too swamped with orders to be able to take the time to look up the recipe.  Or she may just have been having a bad day or woke up on the wrong side of the bed that morning.

I think she was swamped or may have been out of Prosecco. She offered me a Peach Long Island Iced Tea which I took in place of the Peach Bellini.

On 3/23/2023 at 2:28 PM, CruisnHallelujahs said:

We were on the feb 24th sailing and didn’t have any problem getting our peach Bellinis…timing might have been everything though…would get a mimosa and peach Bellini to bring back to our aft cabin right after breakfast.  😁 Not too much activity at the bar then.  I’d keep asking.  Maybe they were out of peach juice when you asked. 

19 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

That's a great idea! He is getting precheck when we get home. We should look at one of those two, especially as we look at more international experiences. On to all over the place! Do you prefer one over the other?

If you are planning more trips abroad, Global Entry will help you speed through U.S. Customs upon return. TSA precheck automatically comes with Global Entry, which as you know, helps to expedite through security at the U.S. airports.

Often the CLEAR lines at the U.S. airports are shorter than TSA precheck, so I will use the CLEAR lines. Having both CLEAR and TSA precheck is the fastest, not having to show ID, remove shoes or laptop.

Check your credit cards for both benefits. If you had to choose one, go with Global Entry since you will automatically have TSA precheck.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia
  • Like 2

12 hours from ship to....home, unpacked, with laundry in the washer. Our cat was actually excited to see us. Who woulda thought he cares?

Pups pick up tomorrow, followed by baths for all! And, a probably expensive trip to Costco as we bled our cupboards dry prior to the cruise. Don't worry, I won't document Costco. You might see some animal photos though.

When I return to work, I'll be posting my ruminations (great word @Sugar Magnolia)!

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 3/23/2023 at 12:32 PM, MAPCruises said:

We will be on the Joy in the Haven on April 1,  I am upset to hear about the haven bar situation.  That was one of the main selling points to get my husband when I told him I got the haven. 

We were on the Joy just a few weeks earlier and had a great bar experience. There was a female bartender there during the day who was so-so (maybe it's the same one that was on now?). She didn't know how to make a mint julep. Instead of admitting that, she just put a bunch of stuff together with a sprig of mint. If I asked for her to make me something of her choosing, she nearly refused and walked me through each choice myself (spirit, mixer, frozen/rocks, etc) to the point where it was my drink and not her choice any longer. The evening bartender for us was 100x better and made all sorts of crazy things of his own creation and choosing. My biggest issue with NCL is the inconsistency.

On 3/24/2023 at 4:01 PM, cruiseny4life said:

Today, in cases of the entitled adult Haven man-child.

Oi... that was nearly me, minus the meltdown. In my part of NY we do not arbitrarily put mayo on burgers without indicating it is there. I despise mayo with a heated passion. So I too found mayo on a burger at The Local. Instead of meltdown, I ate it without the top bun. No need for drama unless there's a food allergy, but if you do have an allergy every single person in the Haven knows it.

23 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'll admit to having a sad face in April when the server in Cagney's told me they no longer have Mac and cheese! But, having a real tantrum over food... not me! 

A bit too late to help you now, but for next time.... Haven restaurant has a kids mac & cheese. I ordered it a few times either as an app or as my meal for lunch this past trip. Nice and creamy, good stuff.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

20230325_095318.thumb.jpg.0bb25d92ac2ba9ad7eeee6ff5ae9051c.jpg

Bad weather this morning. Just lots of rain and dreary ickiness. Might have just been a domino effect as things started to get behind and continue to affect the ones behind them.

32 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

A bit too late to help you now, but for next time.... Haven restaurant has a kids mac & cheese. I ordered it a few times either as an app or as my meal for lunch this past trip. Nice and creamy, good stuff.

A few years ago my husband was not eating a lot of meat for health reasons and he ordered the mac & cheese in the Haven one night. It was actually pretty good. Definitely worth a try if you are missing it from the regular menu.