Running on Ship and at Ocean Cay

jajsmom

I did a search and could not find any information.  Will be on MSC Seaside.  Other than a treadmill, is there any place to run on deck?  It does not appear to have a promenade deck, and I do not see a running path up top. Also, is there any path on Ocean Cay to run?  And if there is, does anyone know the milage?  Thanks in advance.

I've been on MSC Seaview, and there is no designated running track. I won't recommend running around the promenade deck, since there is space for dining outdoors. You might run someone over carrying their breakfast. If you wake up early, you might be able to run on deck 19 (around the glass roof) or deck 16 (around the pool), before they set up the deck chairs and before the crowds kick in. It'll be short laps though.

Ocean cay is huge (from a running perspective) with paved paths leading every which where. We didn’t run but we are walkers so when we visited we walked from the boat to the lighthouse to the spa beach and then over to the YC area before going back to where we started. My Apple Watch clocked just over three miles of walking. 

From the deck plan, it appears that there is not a designated jogging/walking track on the sun decks.  While that seems unusual, I find that the jogging track is only useful very early in the morning.  Most of the day, sunbathers and other passengers usually block the track anyway.

Thanks for your responses!  I did not see any designated areas.  I've been cruising for years, and prefer the older ships that had dedicated walking and running areas.  the newer ships seem to have forgotten about them.  How are we supposed to manage our food intake on a cruise? 😂

12 minutes ago, jajsmom said:

I did not see any designated areas...  How are we supposed to manage our food intake on a cruise? 😂

I feel the same way as you and the 3 miles reported here don't satisfy me either. I then played around with the treadmill and got on the "incline setting".  This made the treadmills run a little more realistically. I have not found anything better.
I then switched from cardio to running-specific strength training and that wasn't so wrong 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jajsmom said:

Thanks for your responses!  I did not see any designated areas.  I've been cruising for years, and prefer the older ships that had dedicated walking and running areas.  the newer ships seem to have forgotten about them.  How are we supposed to manage our food intake on a cruise? 😂

I was not impressed on the Divina that did have a “designated” walking/running track that went through the smoking area. 
One side of the ship was very narrow and everyone was there watching us dock at ocean cay. It was very crowded. 
I thought I was in the wrong place but asked a crew member to be sure. 

My friend ran on Ocean Cay the next morning but I swam instead. Not sure if mileage but you should be able to get a run in as long as it’s not a super long run. 

On 3/3/2023 at 5:56 PM, 1kaper said:

I was not impressed on the Divina that did have a “designated” walking/running track that went through the smoking area. 
One side of the ship was very narrow and everyone was there watching us dock at ocean cay. It was very crowded. 
I thought I was in the wrong place but asked a crew member to be sure. 

My friend ran on Ocean Cay the next morning but I swam instead. Not sure if mileage but you should be able to get a run in as long as it’s not a super long run. 

Thanks!  I am a distance runner (minimum 5 miles on a trip) so running on a treadmill is just painful! I will try to run on the island, even if I have to make multiple laps.

Ocean Cay is very large and the paved ‘roads’ are extensive. The ONLY design flaw I know for Ocean Cay is there is no bridge across the north end of the lagoon from North Beach to the helipad on the extreme north side of the island. It keeps you from doing a circular route around the island. The paths can be quite congested around the bars and food venues.

Dennis

Edited by kelleherdl