150 free Wi-Fi

rdemn

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, mking8288 said:

if they have access privileges into the account and appropriate permissions set, yes - they "can" do the upgrade themselves but the charge will be posted to your stateroom's OnBoard Account. 

Are you saying the app can be configured to not allow them to have permissions?

I'm more worried about what charges my teens can run up without my knowledge.  I want them to have their phones for pictures and the app for communication, but don't want any surprise bills.

Edit:  I asked customer service and their response was "ask once you are onboard, we didn't have that info".

Edited by Torius

4 hours ago, Lively_Sea_Turtle said:

But doesn't it just prompt you for the upgrade one time when you first connect to activate the 150min? I thought I read that it is a one time only offer and after that you have to go to the Internet desk.

I am just off the Encore. When I logged in first day it offered me an upgrade. I didn't need it so ignored it. On day 2 when I logged in it offered me a reduced amount to purchase an upgrade. Day 3 it offered me the same discount. This actually went on all week, although the discount never changed. Definitely wait until day 2 and you will save some money.

11 hours ago, Torius said:

Are you saying the app can be configured to not allow them to have permissions?

I'm more worried about what charges my teens can run up without my knowledge.  I want them to have their phones for pictures and the app for communication, but don't want any surprise bills.

Edit:  I asked customer service and their response was "ask once you are onboard, we didn't have that info".

1.  Have you install the NCL App already and see for yourself - I'm not sure what additional or other "permissions" you are referring to.  Your initial question has to do with internet/WiFi upgrade using the App, once onboard - especially if you allow the (teens) children to install & use the App on their devices, then, you are granting them permissions ... I do not believe, the current App version has a parental lockout or similar function to restrict what "junior" cruisers can or cannot access, charge and use - including App based upgrade.  

As long as all the mobile devices are set to airplane mode and isn't connected to ship's WiFi inTERnet (instead of the "free" inTRAnet) onboard, the App isn't exactly a "Payment" system app to "charge" things.  Those controls are commonly configured & setup with each person's Guest Keycard - upon embarkation at check-in time.  

If you allow them access to their phones and app(s) --- not sure if you meant only the NCL App - and/or other Apps on the devices (and, that if they turn back on cellular data onboard the ship and while at sea, etc. etc.) that consume & use data, then it is possible that due to roaming charges billed thru your cellular carrier - staying connected on the ship while using cellular data over satellite, will, certainly run up the airtime/data meters and potentially result in a big surprise and "huge" billing.  

Without knowing your carrier and specifics of your plan, this is a billing matter you should speak to your carrier's global or international support desk, to see what they can do for you.  

Depending on the hardware (iPhone, Android smartphone ... and specific brands/models, etc.) it is possible to keep them off the air by removing the physical sim card (unless using eSims) - they can take photos & videos by remaining in Airplane Mode, and no chance of "accidentally" switching on cellular data.  

Start by speaking with your cellular carrier's support or help desk, review your plans & its coverage, and "excessive" charges at risk when traveling, whether it's abroad and/or at sea.  

On 3/29/2024 at 4:31 AM, Lively_Sea_Turtle said:

But doesn't it just prompt you for the upgrade one time when you first connect to activate the 150min? I thought I read that it is a one time only offer and after that you have to go to the Internet desk.

I don't know regarding it being a "one-time" offer....but welcome to Cruise Critic!

On 3/3/2023 at 6:02 PM, phoenix1181 said:

Keep in mind that with your iPhone on airplane mode, you can still message to other iPhones. 

Is this like southwest free messaging?  You don't need any plan to send and receive imessages to anyone?