River cruise recommendation for Francewhile

eddieg07410

While on the Viking Orion we booked a River cruise from North France to Southern France. The itinerary was perfect. However, the cheaper cabin sizes has me concerned. Unless we upgrade to a veranda at a couple of thousand more for the two of us the cabins seem very tiny and uncomfortable. We were wondering if there are River cruise lines that have a similar itinerary but offer larger cabins at more reasonable prices. Widow or veranda means less to us than cabin size. Also, we would like most of the perks Viking includes as well, great food, free Wi-Fi, lectures, etc.

Looks like we need a cabin size comparison chart. Your challenge for this year is to first find companies with similar itineraries then marry up with the cabin sizes you’ve researched, all I can say is the best of luck. Especially as a lot of companies don’t show sizes. Good luck but I do feel your pain!

• Like 1

Viking's 'long ships' [which BTW aren't any longer than everybody else's – the size of the locks determines the max size of the ships] have an offset corridor to make the balcony cabins bigger at the expense of the French balcony cabins [but both are still small compared to other river cruise lines – balcony is only 205sf and French is incredibly cramped at 135sf].  Take a look at the deck plans for AmaWaterways, Scenic, Uniworld – they all offer a range of cabin sizes.  We find AMA's 235sf twin balcony cabins to have just enough extra space to avoid the cramped feeling [not sold on the twin balcony concept, but it does offer both a real balcony for nice days and the French balcony for rainy days].  Scenic has a really wide range of cabin sizes, from 160sf [not bad for the lowest deck]; balconies at 205, 225 & 250; and true suites at 360, 475 & 520.  I'm less familiar with Uniworld because their decor puts me off, but there are many posters here who love them and either enjoy or tolerate the Marie Antoinette theme.  [Note that all cruise lines have a variety of ship designs – I'm quoting from the newer ships that make up the bulk of their fleets]

You could have a look at youtube videos as well to give you an idea of what it looks like. Although in German, I find this video comprehensive, lots of details. Ask me if you would like to know anything the gentleman says (i.e. give me the time stamp). Just a couple of things, this is cabin number 315 on the Amakristina when she sailed under special German charter. The foldable chair can be transformed into a small bed for a child. The computer is also the television. The cabin also has an American socket that he points out. The Amakristina is now deployed on the Rhone:

On another website it says that this category is 210 sq ft in size.

I cannot link to such sites as they are online agents as well. Google Amakristina cabin size 315, or similar for another ship. May get you the info you would like.

notamermaid

Yes, AmaKristina 315 is 210sf [category BA].  It's on the top deck, below the sun deck [noise possible], and Ama doesn't have any extra amenities for top deck cabins.  So I would pay a little more for category AB, on the middle deck, with 235sf.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, eddieg07410 said:

While on the Viking Orion we booked a River cruise from North France to Southern France. The itinerary was perfect. However, the cheaper cabin sizes has me concerned. Unless we upgrade to a veranda at a couple of thousand more for the two of us the cabins seem very tiny and uncomfortable. We were wondering if there are River cruise lines that have a similar itinerary but offer larger cabins at more reasonable prices. Widow or veranda means less to us than cabin size. Also, we would like most of the perks Viking includes as well, great food, free Wi-Fi, lectures, etc.

Look at Scenic - room substantially bigger ,beer, wine  and  cocktails are included all day not just beer and wine with lunch dinner, gratuities are also included, and of course an included excusion per port.

• Like 1

The biggest problem with balconies on a river cruise is that the space for a balcony is taken out of the space for the room. Normally, you do get more "usable" space for a french balcony, except for Viking as Jazzbeau stated above. Avalon is all french balconies, with the 2 Royal Suites being 300 sq. feet, and the suites being 200 sq. feet. Only the lower deck cabins are smaller at 172 sq feet, 

Don't forget, the scenery on the rivers is on both sides of the river, so if you are cruising during the daytime, you will want to be in the public areas or on the sundeck to see both sides. We enjoy the windows open wide usually pre-breakfast, or while relaxing in our cabin before turning in for the night. Otherwise, we are off the ship or in the public areas. Also, another thing to consider, if you are docked, you may be having a great view of another ships cabins, as they often tie up together.

• Like 1

Scenic have solved the balcony challenge as you can fold the glass doors back and open up the whole area, the balcony can be opened up or closed off fine for all eventualities. Luckily we’ve only breasted up a few times but one we offered a drink and had a nice chat over a glass of wine with our new found friends.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Canal archive said:

Scenic have solved the balcony challenge as you can fold the glass doors back and open up the whole area, the balcony can be opened up or closed off fine for all eventualities. Luckily we’ve only breasted up a few times but one we offered a drink and had a nice chat over a glass of wine with our new found friends.

Scenic also has panoramic suites on many of their ships, with views off the back of the ship as well as one side.  Very expensive, but for those who like to enjoy the private retreat aspect of the cabin it is heavenly!  [I think (haven't tried it yet) – will let you know after our Douro cruise in September!]