Fun things to do in Ketchikan without an excursion?

Sigyn

We'll be in Ketchikan in July and I'm thinking I won't book an excursion. Nothing really appeals. What would be a bit of low-key fun to do without one? Bar hopping? Shopping in town? Having lunch? We're on the Celebrity Millennium and docked from 7 am - 3 pm. Thanks!

Creek Street is pretty scenic to walk through and take pictures. There is a store called Sam McGee's that I like as it has a lot of local crafts and food. https://sammcgeesalaska.com I have often gone to Creek Street early when nothing is open and gotten some great pictures.

Tongass Trading is right at the pier. They have really nice jackets for $20 or something reasonable. They have a ton of souvenirs (most not made in Alaska) but if you need to buy t-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, magnets, Christmas ornaments - this is your place: https://www.tongasstrading.com 

There are some totem poles in town. I have gone to the Totem Heritage Center and was bored to death. It was really stuffy inside (not sure why) so I didn't stay long. Ketchikan can be rainy so this could be a backup if the weather doesn't cooperate.

This literally is my least favorite port and I have tried a ton of excursions here. I will probably not do anything here either (and I am one that strongly recommends excursions to get out of town).

• Like 3

We'll be in Ketchikan in July and I'm thinking I won't book an excursion. Nothing really appeals.

Many many previous similar threads and replies.  Use the SEARCH box under your username then hit the little spy glass and all the results should apprear ready for you to read.  Or back page, but the SEARCH tool is faster and easier.

This is a recent thread you would probably find helpful to read:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2911191-utterly-stumped-about-what-to-do-in-ketchikan-help/#comment-64725250

Have now noticed that the above and very recent  linked thread was YOUR first one asking the same question.

Maybe time to read it again to refresh your memory of the many suggestions already made.

Edited by edinburgher

8 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Have now noticed that the above and very recent  linked thread was YOUR first one asking the same question.

Maybe time to read it again to refresh your memory of the many suggestions already made.

I think that was first to try to get ideas for excursions. I think they have moved on from excursions and are now looking at non-excursions.

I didn't actually read it that way at all. On the original thread  I read this:

I'm thinking I won't book an excursion and would like to see something more real, that feels like Alaska. But have zero idea what that would be in Ketchikan. It's our first port on our trip so that matters, too.

I guess one of is is right...........

Edited by edinburgher

My favorites are the Southeast Alaska Discovery center, Creek Street, the trail up to Cape Fox Lodge when the salmon berries are ripe, eating at Annabelle's, and getting a beer at the Sourdough Cocktail bar.  Of note this summer is a special exhibit at the Tongass Historical Museum, called Cruisin' the Fossil Coastline that I'm really excited about.  I also go to Soho Coho to add to my "real" Alaska tee shirt collection.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, edinburgher said:

We'll be in Ketchikan in July and I'm thinking I won't book an excursion. Nothing really appeals.

Many many previous similar threads and replies.  Use the SEARCH box under your username then hit the little spy glass and all the results should apprear ready for you to read.  Or back page, but the SEARCH tool is faster and easier.

This is a recent thread you would probably find helpful to read:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2911191-utterly-stumped-about-what-to-do-in-ketchikan-help/#comment-64725250

oh yeah....I've talked about this before. I forgot. Sheesh. I'm just utterly at a loss.

5 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Of note this summer is a special exhibit at the Tongass Historical Museum, called Cruisin' the Fossil Coastline that I'm really excited about.

We are looking at that as well, we will be there in September - guessing the exhibit will be there right through the cruising season?

5 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

I also go to Soho Coho to add to my "real" Alaska tee shirt collection.

Love that place, lots of stuff from local artists - picked up a print on aluminum last time, that was a challenge to pack for the flight home 🙂

8 minutes ago, Brian V said:

We are looking at that as well, we will be there in September - guessing the exhibit will be there right through the cruising season?

Yes, I believe it's there until December.  Lots of the artwork is by Ray Troll of Soho Coho.

• Thanks 1

The discovery center wasn't open when I was there last May (I think it had limited hours due to the difficulties last year?) but we did the Totem museum, walked the.....walking tour route was it? that we got from the visitor's center and saw a lot of town....the Tongass Trading company had coupons for certain things in certain stores in that map, if you want cheap/free stuff! 

We did the lumberjack show which was fun 🙂 I wasn't terribly impressed with the limited tours last year, I'm glad there are many more options this year.  

The first time we went - I didn't have a lot of money to spend on excursions.  We rode the city bus around - we got off at Walmart because I thought it would be the cheapest place (and I'm sure it was something I read on CruiseCritic)to buy souvenirs. It doesn't look like the summer schedule is out yet but when I googled bus I got this Transit | Ketchikan Gateway Borough, AK - Official Website (kgbak.us)  Could be an inexpensive way to see the city and who knows what you might find.

• Like 1

The city operates a free downtown loop bus that runs continuously when ships are in port.  It picks up at all the docks and stops at the Totem Museum, Creek Street, downtown for the Lumberjack show and Discovery Center, and the Mall and Safeway store.   

• Like 1