Need knowledge/info

cruzbound

Thanks all - WOW, I guess we will probably go back to Royal Caribbean after this cruise as I know when you book air with them, they are responsible for getting you there on time.  To have a program that they do not guarantee they will get you to the ship is completely crazy - especially when we have the transfer with them too.

Our airport would be Metro Detroit in MI which I believe is decent size hub (probably not Chicago size but it is decent).

I am waiting on our friends to see if they want to go in early and if they do, then we might just book the incoming flight ourselves and let NC get us home from Papeete.

1 hour ago, cruzbound said:

Thanks all - WOW, I guess we will probably go back to Royal Caribbean after this cruise as I know when you book air with them, they are responsible for getting you there on time.  To have a program that they do not guarantee they will get you to the ship is completely crazy - especially when we have the transfer with them too.

Our airport would be Metro Detroit in MI which I believe is decent size hub (probably not Chicago size but it is decent).

I am waiting on our friends to see if they want to go in early and if they do, then we might just book the incoming flight ourselves and let NC get us home from Papeete.

Have you read all the fine print associated with Royal and other lines..you would be surprised at some of the “outs” they leave themselves on so called guarantees. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Not sure what "accommodate picky eaters" means. If you have a dietary restriction, they will ensure you are served foods that won't make you sick.

the waiter asked us before every single meal if anyone at the table had any food allergies

• Like 1

23 hours ago, destar said:

No cork fee if you have the alcohol package. NCL alcohol package covers drinks up to $15 dollars, anything above that, you paid the difference with a 20% gratuity.

Cunard (Brittania class) charges a corkage fee unless you consume the wine in your stateroom. However, they also dont allow you to choose a drink over the upper limit and only pay the difference (if you have the drink package) If the drink you want is over the allowable limit you pay the entire cost plus service charge of the drink.  This may have changed, I sailed in 2013 which I realize is 10 yrs ago.  I can understand the first, but not the second. I like how NCL does it- you just pay the difference in the two drinks

23 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

There is no “two bottles of wine” rule on NCL. You can carry on as much wine as you want but corkage is charged regardless of where you consume it.

However, if you have the beverage package then the corkage fee isn’t charged.

Wait OMG. I did not know this. So, I have the regular alcohol package but I can bring on some good wine, no limit, and not be charged a corkage fee on each? 

We live close to the port, I will be driving. I will fill a carryon suitcase carefully if this is correct. 

Thank you so much!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, js said:

Wait OMG. I did not know this. So, I have the regular alcohol package but I can bring on some good wine, no limit, and not be charged a corkage fee on each? 

We live close to the port, I will be driving. I will fill a carryon suitcase carefully if this is correct. 

Thank you so much!

The regular free at sea drink package will allow you to bring as many bottles of wine you can fit in your suitcase with no corkage fee. I've done this with both wine and a handful of select specialty beer cans on my last 2 trips with no issues at all.

55 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

The regular free at sea drink package will allow you to bring as many bottles of wine you can fit in your suitcase with no corkage fee. I've done this with both wine and a handful of select specialty beer cans on my last 2 trips with no issues at all.

Thank you soooo much! I am so excited about this lol

6 hours ago, cruzbound said:

Air2Sea actually does not guarantee you will make your ship. We cruise on both NCL and Royal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few of my thoughts:

Make sure your TA gave you a Latitudes number.  I think that is mandatory.  Use this number to register on their web site, and at least 1 in your cabin download the NCL app.  Everything is easier with using them.  You can book your shore excursions and lots more using the web site.

MDR, there are usually 3 of them, but Spirit may only have 2 due to size?  Generally open for dinner from 5:30 - 9:30.  Breakfast 8 - 9:30.  Lunch, depends on port, but at sea days 11 - 3ish.  Might be slightly different for each ship.

MDR has a 7, 8 or 9 day rotating menu.  The ship chooses based on cooks and food availability.

On our just completed cruise (7 days), we had a Day 9 menu for day 7.  This was explained by our server. 

We are always asked at least 2 times about food allergies at each MDR meal.

You will probably get a different table each time at MDR.  This allows more to enjoy the window seats. Groups larger than 4 will probably not get window seats, unless they break into smaller groups.

If you get a server you really enjoy, ask them when-where they will be for the next meal or the next day.  Then request them when entering the next time.

Specialty dining.  You can schedule the days and times at 120 days out (or final payment) by using their App.  Highly recommend doing it as early as possible before sailing.  You will not get a choice of table, however.  Generally, the first and last night fill up the quickest.  

If you think you want more specialty dining, you can purchase before sailing on the app or web site.  Cheaper overall than ordering a la cart once on board.

Drink package is a must if you drink at all.  Shipboard prices are similar to airport prices, captive audience.  2 drinks a day will be equal to the gratuities they change for the freebie package.  

NCL has gradually expanded the wines available for meals in the drink package.  

Food quality is overall good to very good (in our opinion) but you can still get a few "what was that" along the way.  Don't be afraid to order something else.  Desserts and bakery items (breads and rolls) are very good.

Buffet is a buffet.  Honestly have only eaten there once for dinner in the last 7 cruises.  Generally eat there for breakfast and a quick lunch.  They usually have 3 to 5 fresh omelet stations depending on ship size.  

As far as flights, 24/26 of us on our upcoming cruise booked through Norwegian.  (My son is stationed in the UK and didn't get the option, but he wishes he could have because his flights were expensive!)

I am stoked with our flights.  Ok, so the flights aren't great, it's a red eye, and my 8 year old will not sleep before hand, so we'll get to the ship with him having about 4 hours of sleep that night.  But he'll recover, it was one less thing for me to do, and even paying for 2/3 tickets for my family we saved $500.  I watched flights obsessively and couldn't find anything remotely close. Our flights back are in the evening, so we'll have to bop around Tampa for longer than I'd like, but whatever, we'll figure it out.

My sister, with similar flights is NOT happy.  She does not like a red eye, and she's on different flights than her husband.  (They are traveling with five children, so have two rooms, and the different rooms have different flights on different airlines.)

So I would say if you're picky about flights, and not a "go with the flow" type person, book on your own.  These aren't the flights I would have picked, but I'm fine with it.

Hi all. 

I really appreciate all the insight. We decided for a deviation so we will go in the day before so hopefully no issues with missing the ship. 

I will say the NC people are honest when they say they won’t separate people on flights that are in the same room but they can’t guarantee other travel companions in different rooms. We are a group of six and we could be on three separate flights. I am crossing my fingers bit not getting my hopes up. 

So having been loyal to Royal and on a ton of cruises with RC one thing I have never experienced is a huge itinerary change time. I have had it where they have adjusted our times at the stops by an hour early or late but that is it. 

I just looked at our itinerary online for this NC and on my itinerary they sent me it said we disembark at 8 am on the 27th and now online it say 12 midnight on the 27th. I have never heard of a cruise line expecting their passengers to get off in the middle of the dead night in a foreign island. Unbelievable and not get any sleep that night. Has anyone experienced this?  Also how much does NC change their itinerary times?  

Thanks

cruzbound

On 3/12/2023 at 8:27 PM, cruzbound said:

Sorry for all the stupid questions but I know totally nothing about NC. 

Most people use NCL.

You can learn a lot by going to the NCL website and picking the explore ships tab.  This will tell you about many of the things you are asking about.

Le Bistro has a dress code. I do not generally see NCL enforcing any of their dress rules such as offensive clothing and short in dinner restaurants.

Cruise is not until September 15 but I will definitely get in and post afterwards and give you all my experience with this middle of the night disembarkation. If we go to the airport and get like a 6 am flight out of Papeete then it won’t be so bad but if we disembark in the middle of the night and they don’t get us a flight until like 10 pm or something I will not be happy having to sit in an airport for almost 24 hours.