Excursions

JAN1

We are going on Celebrity Solstice March 18th.  Can anyone recommend any shore excursions in Catalina or Cabo San Lucas?   Or is it best to get off the ship and find someone to take you around?   Has anyone ever taken a water taxi to the beach in Cabo?   We might also do that but not sure how easy it is to take the water taxi back to the marina      Thanks

Janice

Teach4Jan@aol.com

Jan1

Thanks!   We may take a sightseeing tour and maybe the water taxi over to the beach.    The catamaran tour through the ship is pretty expensive so not sure yet

Husband did the Ridgetop Eco Adventure on Catalina 2 weeks ago (I had to back out due to a back injury). He really enjoyed it - though said it was bumpy and lots of cliffs/blind turns. The photos and video he took were amazing.

In Cabo we cancelled the catamaran due to the very early start time and did the Deluxe Coastal Cruise. It was a lot less expensive and was very nice - saw lots of whales and went around past the arch along the coast. Boat was clean and not too big or crowded, crew was friendly. Drinks were watered down but that was fine. Let me know if you have any questions.

We are looking at Cabo sightseeing tour or the deluxe coastal tour. One is a bus tour and the coastal tour is a boat tour   Also thinking about taking a water taxi on our own.   Very confusing

janice

Jan1

17 minutes ago, JAN1 said:

We are looking at Cabo sightseeing tour or the deluxe coastal tour. One is a bus tour and the coastal tour is a boat tour   Also thinking about taking a water taxi on our own.   Very confusing

janice

Jan1

We are not big on bus tours but that is a personal thing. Had never been to the Cabo port before and we were glad we had a pre booked tour. There were lots of very aggressive people selling their tours, taxi rides etc. I was more comfortable taking a tour vetted by Celebrity. After that we walked around and had a nice lunch at a place recommended to us. 

9 minutes ago, JAN1 said:

I love taking pictures of scenery.  Does this take you to the rock formations and can you take nice pictures?  We also wanted to maybe go to a beach 

Yes, we took some great pictures. It leaves the pier and goes into the bay and around the arch (rock formations) and into the Pacific and up the coast a bit. It does not stop at a beach however.

We were the only ship in port when we were there - if there are more ships and your cruise is higher capacity (ours was only 1500) things may be more crowded on the boat.

Edited by MarEll1

The deluxe coastal tour leaves on the second day at 9am for 2 hours.  Afterwards we could have lunch and maybe even go to a beach.     We also don’t want to deal with aggressive people selling tours.   I heard there is a water taxi that can take you to a beach   I also heard about a glass factory in Cabo 

We've cruised the Mexican Riviera often over many years. Absolutely no reason for you to feel  the need to book an excursion with the cruiseline. Many vendors at the Cabo pier are just fine...take your pick.

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

We've cruised the Mexican Riviera often over many years. Absolutely no reason for you to feel  the need to book an excursion with the cruiseline. Many vendors at the Cabo pier are just fine...take your pick.

Read the post “some things to know about whale watching in Cabo” on Jan 27 by heels_fan (I don’t know how to link it). Everyone does not have the same good experience choosing a vendor at the pier.

9 hours ago, MarEll1 said:

Read the post “some things to know about whale watching in Cabo” on Jan 27 by heels_fan (I don’t know how to link it). Everyone does not have the same good experience choosing a vendor at the pier.

No one can have the exact "same" experience. My comment was for general consumption.

When you get off the tender in Cabo, there will be a horde of excursion salesman, trying to sell you any kind of tour you want.

I always get the “glass bottom boat to the arches tour.“ It costs between $10 and $15 per person, and the boat captain will take you out to the arch and back to the dock. He stops just off of “lovers beach“ where you can disembark in waist high water and visit the beach if you want. Supposedly he will pick you up later for the completion of the tour. Warning: there are no services at lovers beach.

The boat will then stop near sea lion‘ rock, and then go to the arch for you to view from the boat. There is no disembarkation allowed at either of these stops.

The boat will then go to Medano Beach, where you can disembark in Knee high water and wade to the beach. Supposedly, your boat will pick you up later if you want. And if you can find the same boat later. I have never tried to catch the water taxi back to the dock from here, taking a land taxi or pedicab or simply walking instead.

This trip does not include any whale watching, if you are cruising during whale migration season.

I was also looking at a Viator tour that takes you to the arch   They say it’s 45 minutes  and will also stop at the beach if you want.   I’m not sure I want to get off in waist high water and take a chance.    I can book this ahead of time   I just didn’t book a tour from the ship   Hope that’s a good decision 

Jan1

9 hours ago, JAN1 said:

I was also looking at a Viator tour that takes you to the arch   They say it’s 45 minutes  and will also stop at the beach if you want.   I’m not sure I want to get off in waist high water and take a chance.    I can book this ahead of time   I just didn’t book a tour from the ship   Hope that’s a good decision 

Jan1

You will pay more to book with Viator...No reason to or pre-book this excursion. Book it from a vendor on the pier it will be the same kinda tour.