Florist on the Rotterdam?

Aldo Ray

I sailed the Osterdam last spring and they had a florist on board that made a spectacular arrangement for my cabin. Does anyone know if the Rotterdam has a florist? If you order flowers pre cruise they always seem to be very plain and blah. The Osterdams florist made beautiful arrangements for the cabins.

Thanks

Bob:)

I suspect they must have them on all the ships. HAL has fabulous floral displays and I am sure they pick up flowers in every port of call. FYI, I have sailed on the Rotterdam VI three times and have always been impressed with the floral displays.

Copper - Did the Oosterdam have one on your trip? I did not notice one on the Zuiderdam in December. Thank you.

Marie

Did not see one like we did on Rotterdam, Marie but I think Himself is correct in assuming that all HAL ships now have one. That, or they assign someone to take care of all those flowers and plants as a collateral assignment. You've got to have some expertese to do that though! Would hate to be the one assigned "Hey you go take care of the plants", not know anything other than to water them, and have all them die on me four days later:eek:

I was considering a bouquet for mine and my sister's room. We have cabins next door to one another. Perhaps I will order from ship services before I leave. I better decide soon as next Saturday it's finally my turn to board the Oosterdam!

Marie

I suspect they must have them on all the ships. HAL has fabulous floral displays and I am sure they pick up flowers in every port of call. FYI, I have sailed on the Rotterdam VI three times and have always been impressed with the floral displays.

There is a florist on every HAL ship. Flowers are flown in from Holland and delivered to the ship as needed. In Ft. Lauderdale you will sometimes see flower arrangements sitting on the pier to be loaded onto the ship between cruise's. On our 62 day cruise last fall flowers were delivered to the Amsterdam from Holland at various ports. In fact on one of our sea days the florist had a table setup next to the lido pool to show and explain what his job consisted of. He is the one who told us about the flowers being flown in.

Thanks to all for your replies

I didn't mean to confuse anyone but the florist on the Osterdam was not a florist in the traditional sense... as in having a shoppe. The florist was merely set up in a public space with a portable table making arrangements for peoples cabins. I agree with you that the flowers on Hal are beautiful.

Bob:)

Flowers are one of my very favorite things about HAL ships that set them so far ahead of every other line that we have been on.

I always notice every arrangement and appreciate every blossom in them.

I love their huge arrangements at places like dining room entrance and by the Ocean Bar.....

The very best cabin arrangements we have ever had was January 2005 on Veendam. Hotel Manager Nick Burger had flowers loaded in Barbados as the cruise was 12 days and he didn't think the flowers would stay fresh for the whole cruise. When we returned to our cabin that afternoon, I gasped when I saw the fabulous arrangement which had been placed in our Suite....in all the suites. Huge ginger flowers, the most wonderful greens with berries, birds of paradise.......I took a half dozen pictures of that arrangement from all angles, I loved it so much.

Archived