Non-AI place to hang out for a few hours

mitsugirly

We have decided to go diving when in Costa Maya this time and after the dive were thinking about hanging out at the beach for a few hours after the dive and get a bite to eat. The dive shop is located at Jamie's, but see that he is an AI and required to purchase that to be there. It wouldn't be worth it to us to purchase and AI for the short amount of time we'd be there. 

Any other suggestions on where to go for a few hours that isn't going to charge us to be there if we purchase drinks and food?

8 hours ago, mitsugirly said:

We have decided to go diving when in Costa Maya this time and after the dive were thinking about hanging out at the beach for a few hours after the dive and get a bite to eat. The dive shop is located at Jamie's, but see that he is an AI and required to purchase that to be there. It wouldn't be worth it to us to purchase and AI for the short amount of time we'd be there. 

Any other suggestions on where to go for a few hours that isn't going to charge us to be there if we purchase drinks and food?

Jaimie’s will always do PAYG if they have room - they have menu which has been posted previously. Since you only want PAYG you can ask on the day and go elsewhere if necessary. 

Keep in mind all theses places are close to Nohoch that you went to once and didn’t like, as I recall?

Also keep in mind there are a lot of policy changes in Costa Maya since cruising resumed, if you haven’t been back recently? We have been very disappointed in the bureaucratic administration of the area and current policies. $4 pp each way in the taxi now. Many beach clubs are trying to follow an AI, or minimum cover charge, policy.

We don’t object to paying a fair price relative to the time spent at a location but $50 for two people for a lounger with NO food and drinks credit (as one club which will remain nameless, not Jaimie’s, quoted me in a bait and switch last year) doesn’t sit well with me. NOWHERE on the malecon has facilities that warrant that type of pricing.

Several other reports of overcharging on final checks although unfortunately that has long been a problem in Costa Maya.

Krazy Lobster, as @crewsweeper recommended is a safe, legitimate location, even if they do add on a extra (minimal) service charge for the kitchen. It has reasonable prices with good food and service  if you are simply looking for some beach time and a snack but is too big and busy to ever rank as one of my favorites. 

Miramao looks a decent place to try ( we haven’t been yet). I have seen mixed reports of whether you can PAYG . I think a lot depends on the day and how many ships in port.

Edited by c-leg5

Nacional Beach Club & Bungalows has amazing food and a little tiny pool! Its nothing too exciting but the last time I was in Mahahual the water was so cloudy you couldn't even snorkel. There are so many sargasso barriers its like an obstacle course to get anywhere near the reef. Its not a good situation but hopefully its changed since I was there in October. I love love the Nacional Beach Club. I've stayed there on land vacations and its a wonderful place. Probably one of the nicest places on the Malecon. 

2 hours ago, Melismass1 said:

Nacional Beach Club & Bungalows has amazing food and a little tiny pool! Its nothing too exciting but the last time I was in Mahahual the water was so cloudy you couldn't even snorkel. There are so many sargasso barriers its like an obstacle course to get anywhere near the reef. Its not a good situation but hopefully its changed since I was there in October. I love love the Nacional Beach Club. I've stayed there on land vacations and its a wonderful place. Probably one of the nicest places on the Malecon. 

Do they allow PAYG to use the pool and beach if you are not staying there?

I have only ever seen extortionate day passes.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

In the past they entertained/allowed mostly staying guests.  But because of the small size, they probably just want to keep the crowd down.

On 3/15/2023 at 8:12 AM, crewsweeper said:

There's a place Mamao (?) at the hotel on the other side of Pepe's.  Cruisers have hung out there. No reservations needed.

Krazy Lobster has expanded all down the beach so one of the areas is fairly close by.  

It took me awhile but found the place by using the map. (Maramao Beach Club). I can only find info on Trip Advisor. Several recent reviews are negative about the service and food, so not sure. 

17 hours ago, jbrinkm said:

Jaime's did offer us a PAYG option when we were there last year, even though they encourage AI. If you email him, you could ask. It probably depends on how busy they are that day...

Thanks for the info.

16 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Jaimie’s will always do PAYG if they have room - they have menu which has been posted previously. Since you only want PAYG you can ask on the day and go elsewhere if necessary. 

Keep in mind all theses places are close to Nohoch that you went to once and didn’t like, as I recall?

Also keep in mind there are a lot of policy changes in Costa Maya since cruising resumed, if you haven’t been back recently? We have been very disappointed in the bureaucratic administration of the area and current policies. $4 pp each way in the taxi now. Many beach clubs are trying to follow an AI, or minimum cover charge, policy.

We don’t object to paying a fair price relative to the time spent at a location but $50 for two people for a lounger with NO food and drinks credit (as one club which will remain nameless, not Jaimie’s, quoted me in a bait and switch last year) doesn’t sit well with me. NOWHERE on the malecon has facilities that warrant that type of pricing.

Several other reports of overcharging on final checks although unfortunately that has long been a problem in Costa Maya.

Krazy Lobster, as @crewsweeper recommended is a safe, legitimate location, even if they do add on a extra (minimal) service charge for the kitchen. It has reasonable prices with good food and service  if you are simply looking for some beach time and a snack but is too big and busy to ever rank as one of my favorites. 

Miramao looks a decent place to try ( we haven’t been yet). I have seen mixed reports of whether you can PAYG . I think a lot depends on the day and how many ships in port.

Yes, we didn't care for Nohoch but since we won't have much time left for beach and food, we will pretty much have to stay on the Malecon (which I realize they are all along that same beach front) and not pay for AI. 

Thanks for the heads up about the changes and price of the taxi's. Good to know.

Krazy Lobster seems good with your description. Also, what do we look for if any of these places are trying to add in charges? Just keep track of the prices and if it's more when the bill comes say something? I hate when places do that and not let you know. 😞 

16 hours ago, Melismass1 said:

It doesn't look like a PAYG place when I look at their website. 

13 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I was wondering the same thing.