• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, Tryingtocruise said:

So I was just looking at the AARP website.  I qualify for membership (ugh) and the fee isn't a problem but I'm confused how one qualifies for discounted gift cards.  I do not see them listed in the benefits section. Thanks.

You don’t need a paid membership to buy the cards.   

46 minutes ago, ngrund said:

You do need to be an AARP member to buy the premium ones

But Holland America gift cards do not need a paid membership. I have been buying them for over a year and am not a paying member 

8 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

But Holland America gift cards do not need a paid membership. I have been buying them for over a year and am not a paying member 

Yes, since I've been a member for years, I loose track of which ones are which.

• 1 month later...
On 7/9/2023 at 4:03 PM, ngrund said:

You do need to be an AARP member to buy the premium ones

But you do need to live in the US. Even though they let Canadians join AARP they do not allow us to be part of AARP rewards, so we cannot get the HAL gift cards. 

51 minutes ago, electro said:

But you do need to live in the US. Even though they let Canadians join AARP they do not allow us to be part of AARP rewards, so we cannot get the HAL gift cards. 

The membership required for gifts cars is simply an email and a password .  I used that for a long time before I became a full member.  They didn’t even know my name.  Now your credit card might be an issue but you can get around that by buying an American express gift card.  American Express gift cards represent to the merchant just like a credit card unlike visa where they represent as a gift card 

• 1 month later...
On 8/16/2023 at 7:41 PM, Mary229 said:

The membership required for gifts cars is simply an email and a password .  I used that for a long time before I became a full member.  They didn’t even know my name.  Now your credit card might be an issue but you can get around that by buying an American express gift card.  American Express gift cards represent to the merchant just like a credit card unlike visa where they represent as a gift card 

not in Canada, you need a US phone number and address.

1 hour ago, electro said:

not in Canada, you need a US phone number and address.

They have changed it for the US also.  When I signed up about a year ago it was simply and email and a password.  When I recently signed up DH it required email, password and phone but no address 

21 hours ago, Mary229 said:

They have changed it for the US also.  When I signed up about a year ago it was simply and email and a password.  When I recently signed up DH it required email, password and phone but no address 

Yes, it is really unfortunate. They have no problem taking my money for membership but then wont let me use all the benefits.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, notmyfirstname said:

I'm in Canada and joined AARP for the benefit of gift cards. Then I found out I couldn't access them. I do not plan to renew my membership as that seems unfair.  Money is money. 

You should be able to get the AARp OBC which is $100 which easily defrays the cost of membership.

On 7/9/2023 at 4:51 PM, Mary229 said:

If you get the AARP gift cards and they are digital do you have to have a printed copy or can they ship just scan your phone app.

2 minutes ago, lenm said:

If you get the AARP gift cards and they are digital do you have to have a printed copy or can they ship just scan your phone app.

Membership requirements have changed since I posted this.  I download the card to my digital wallet and hand it over at the desk. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 5:35 AM, Sunflower7707 said:

Where can I purchase discounted gift cards for Holland America?

You can also buy Holland America gift cards at Kroger stores and their subsidiaries.  You buy them at face but you receive fuel points.  If you wait until they have a 4x special, you get the equivalent of 5% off.