Jump to content

Pre Existing conditions clause and insurance purchase dates


bohaiboy
 Share

Recommended Posts

We sail SilverSea quite often.  When we booked onboard recently I asked about insurance as most insurance companies require one to book within 15 days of initial cruise deposit.  The agent said SS (who I believe uses Allianz) will cover pre existing conditions as long as purchased prior to final payment.  A lot of our cruises run well over $20,000 so it’s quite a hefty policy to pay ahead sometimes 2-3 years in advance

 

anyone know of independent companies that cover pre existing conditions but don’t make you pay a gazillion dollars at time of cruise deposit?  Thanks all

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bohaiboy said:

We sail SilverSea quite often.  When we booked onboard recently I asked about insurance as most insurance companies require one to book within 15 days of initial cruise deposit.  The agent said SS (who I believe uses Allianz) will cover pre existing conditions as long as purchased prior to final payment.  A lot of our cruises run well over $20,000 so it’s quite a hefty policy to pay ahead sometimes 2-3 years in advance

 

anyone know of independent companies that cover pre existing conditions but don’t make you pay a gazillion dollars at time of cruise deposit?  Thanks all

 

The insurance we get, through Travel Insured (using www.TripInsuranceStore.com) require only covering the initial deposit at the start, within the 10-20 days (state dependent).  Then, as additional non-refundable costs are added, we just up the coverage step-wise.  So the big insurance payment doesn't hit until the big trip payment hits.

 

GC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bohaiboy said:

Great idea, I always assumed it had to be on the entire cost of the trip up front

 

Double check that the policy and insurance company that you plan to use does allow the "step wise" payments.  I have no idea how many offer this, but it's not uncommon.

 

However, if you read here on CC more, you might notice many of us suggest *not* getting travel insurance through the cruiseline (or any "travel provider").

For one thing, third-party coverage would cover you from the moment you walk out your door until you walk back in.  That is, if you are adding a little trip on the way or on the way home, that's all included, as is the transportation to the airport, etc.

 

You might want to check prices and coverages before deciding, especially for the price point, before any deadlines pass.

 

The "ease of claims" is something one shouldn't underestimate.  We read of occasional nightmares here on CC (and elsewhere!).  We've had several claims, including some large ones, and never had a quarrel with Travel Insured.

 

But note:  Some of the "nightmares" are because the traveler didn't understand all (ALL) of the terms and conditions, and perhaps assumed something was/would be covered... and it was never covered to begin with...  That's why speaking with a broker can really help.  There's no extra cost for using a broker, and they can help find the best policy for *your* particular needs/concerns.

They can also help with claims should that be needed.  (We once needed help re-arranging private transport [covered by insurance] after an emergency hospital stay mid-trip, so we could recover the final week rather than just fly home and get reimbursed for a missed final week.  I would never have thought of that situation in advance!)

 

And you might want to compare other aspects of the different policies.  Initially, it's tricky, yes.

Now that we've found a good policy and an insurer who "pays" (non-trivial on occasion!), and a broker who will help if needed (only once, but that *really* mattered!), we stick with that.  We are among the 'unfortunate' who have had several claims (but 'fortunate' in that we had good coverage).

 

We've had a few $$$$ trips (cruise or land - or both!), so we certainly understand not wanting to pay all of it far in advance... the trip or the insurance costs!

 

Enjoy your trip! 🙂

 

GC

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/18/2023 at 12:05 PM, GeezerCouple said:

 

Double check that the policy and insurance company that you plan to use does allow the "step wise" payments.  I have no idea how many offer this, but it's not uncommon.

 

However, if you read here on CC more, you might notice many of us suggest *not* getting travel insurance through the cruiseline (or any "travel provider").

For one thing, third-party coverage would cover you from the moment you walk out your door until you walk back in.  That is, if you are adding a little trip on the way or on the way home, that's all included, as is the transportation to the airport, etc.

 

You might want to check prices and coverages before deciding, especially for the price point, before any deadlines pass.

 

The "ease of claims" is something one shouldn't underestimate.  We read of occasional nightmares here on CC (and elsewhere!).  We've had several claims, including some large ones, and never had a quarrel with Travel Insured.

 

But note:  Some of the "nightmares" are because the traveler didn't understand all (ALL) of the terms and conditions, and perhaps assumed something was/would be covered... and it was never covered to begin with...  That's why speaking with a broker can really help.  There's no extra cost for using a broker, and they can help find the best policy for *your* particular needs/concerns.

They can also help with claims should that be needed.  (We once needed help re-arranging private transport [covered by insurance] after an emergency hospital stay mid-trip, so we could recover the final week rather than just fly home and get reimbursed for a missed final week.  I would never have thought of that situation in advance!)

 

And you might want to compare other aspects of the different policies.  Initially, it's tricky, yes.

Now that we've found a good policy and an insurer who "pays" (non-trivial on occasion!), and a broker who will help if needed (only once, but that *really* mattered!), we stick with that.  We are among the 'unfortunate' who have had several claims (but 'fortunate' in that we had good coverage).

 

We've had a few $$$$ trips (cruise or land - or both!), so we certainly understand not wanting to pay all of it far in advance... the trip or the insurance costs!

 

Enjoy your trip! 🙂

 

GC

We are in Canada. This has been a learning curve.  I did inquire last year. The information currently by passengers has been helpful.  At this point, I am focusing on pre existing coverage.  I was not aware of  step wise payments.  Thank you 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, realtorlovescruising said:

We are in Canada. This has been a learning curve.  I did inquire last year. The information currently by passengers has been helpful.  At this point, I am focusing on pre existing coverage.  I was not aware of  step wise payments.  Thank you 

 

Keep in mind that insurance in the USA and in Canada (and other countries) can be *very* different.

It has surprised us how different it can be, although we shouldn't have found that surprising...

 

So make sure you double (and perhaps triple) check.  It might become too important to get wrong.

 

In Canada, do you have travel insurance brokers?  They'd be terrific resources, I'd think, as they can be here in the USA, both helping you to figure out which policy might be the best fit for your needs and also helping you to understand "the fine print" and how that fits your situation.

 

GC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, realtorlovescruising said:

We are in Canada. This has been a learning curve.  I did inquire last year. The information currently by passengers has been helpful.  At this point, I am focusing on pre existing coverage.  I was not aware of  step wise payments.  Thank you 

Hi realtorlovescruising,

 

I used to a lot of business in Canada before 2019 when some insurance laws changed.

 

You need to pay attention to the pre existing coverage "Lookback Period". Canadian travel insurance plans often count the Lookback Period back from the departure date while other plans count the Lookback Period back from the policy Purchase date.

 

Steve Dasseos

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi realtorlovescruising,

 

I used to a lot of business in Canada before 2019 when some insurance laws changed.

 

You need to pay attention to the pre existing coverage "Lookback Period". Canadian travel insurance plans often count the Lookback Period back from the departure date while other plans count the Lookback Period back from the policy Purchase date.

 

Steve Dasseos

I have again learned something new in this process.  Thank you for bringing this to my attention  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

 

Keep in mind that insurance in the USA and in Canada (and other countries) can be *very* different.

It has surprised us how different it can be, although we shouldn't have found that surprising...

 

So make sure you double (and perhaps triple) check.  It might become too important to get wrong.

 

In Canada, do you have travel insurance brokers?  They'd be terrific resources, I'd think, as they can be here in the USA, both helping you to figure out which policy might be the best fit for your needs and also helping you to understand "the fine print" and how that fits your situation.

 

GC

I am beginning to look for  travel insurance brokers.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, realtorlovescruising said:

 

Thank you 

 

12 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Thank you so  so much for this.  Greatly appreciated 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is good advice. I was going over the fine print of my third-party travel insurance policy (John Hancock) and it stated that the death benefit wouldn’t be paid for heart-related ailments. Not something that would matter to everyone, but exceptions for anything are something a traveler should learn. The exact wording was: “No benefit is payable for loss resulting from or due to stroke, cerebral vascular or cardiovascular Accident or event, myocardial infarction (heart attack), coronary thrombosis or aneurysm.”
 But it will pay for dental care if you get your teeth knocked out, so there’s that. 😄

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...